Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

travel with dog on Jetsgo

wilstef
January 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM
does anyone have information/experience to share re traveling with a pet in the cabin on Jetsgo, (or any tips in general?)
i have just rescued a 10 yr old miniature poodle and want to take her with me on a flight to bc next month. i've got a sherpa bag all set, but wonder what to expect once we're on the plane and on our way. are Jetsgo flight crews pet-friendly? i've never taken any of my dogs on a plane before so it will be a new experience... thanks for any stories and/or suggestions.

lil_kirk
January 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I believe the animal is to stay under your seat during the flight.

sammiec
January 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I've never flown with an animal, but they have to be in a tiny carrier that will fit under the seat infront of you. They cannot be out of the carrier the whole fight... that's all I know. Your best bet might be going to their website to see if they have any information, or give them a call! :)

KZinck
January 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Be sure to check with airline (easy to check the websites) before you go. Not all airlines will take pets and some only allow a certain number on the plane. You need to advise you will be travelling with a pet when you make the reservations. The dimensions for the carriers are also there. Good Luck. I can't offer any more advice as I hvan't done it yet - I'll be bringing home by new puppy via plane in May/June.

Bueller's Mommy
January 14th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I've flown Westjet with my miniature dachshund twice over the last year. I imagine the rules and regulations are similar for Jetsgo. Both times I flew I had a flight attendant check to make sure my puppy was in the cage underneath the seat and I was firmly told I was not to take him out of his cage.

I managed to sneak him out and he happily slept on my lap hidden underneath my jacket. If the attendants noticed he was there, I'm not sure. I had a window seat and I made sure I asked the person next to me if they minded.

I wasn't impressed however, when the attendants came around with beverages and I asked for a water for my dog. She rudely said that she would get him some water when she was finished serving all the people first. She was standing right there with the cart and I didn't see what the big deal was. Anyways, she ended up coming back later with a glass of ice water. I guess it was just out of habit and she didn't know any better. I was just mad about how rude she was about waiting until everyone else was served.

Other than that, there was really nothing else about the flights to speak of. My puppy has flown 4 times and perhaps he adjusted well because he flew when he was so young.

Good luck with your flight. My only suggestion is to board ahead of regular passengers when they call for 'people who need assistance' because you'll need to do a bit of maneuvering to get into your seat with the cage and fit it under the seat. :)

CyberKitten
January 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I have flown with Yin Yin - my Siamese cat - to Florida on Air Canada with no problems at all. She came with me in the cabin and I boarded early. I did have to make special arrangements because most airlines will only permit one or two at the most animals in the cabin on any one flight. So you need to check that when you buy the ticket.

She has become a good traveller though and never mewoed ot yowed at all through the flight. She slept through most of it. I gave her some Rescue Remedy just prior to the flight to perhaps help her be calmer (I'd never give your pet a tranquillzer because of the lower oxygen level and the fact the pet might be too out of it and smother on the fleece or pillow or whatever you have in the carrier for her/his comfort.

I always bring water with me so I did not ask the flight attendent (the carrier has a place to store water and food). But I never once took her out in the cabin - I had recently read the story of the cat who got out of the cabin (you never know what a pet will do in a strange place and I was taking no chances with my baby!!) and the flight had to be rerouted to Gander and the person and the pet essentially taken off the plane. Any small thing can spook them and they might take flight. (no pun intended). And the rules say you are not allowed to do it so given the extra security levels practiced by airlines these days, I think it is best to follow their rules.

I am not being critical of you B's mommy, just maybe I am somewhat more overprotective and supercautious. She slept through the flight anyway so I'd only be waking her up.

I've also flown on Delta with pets and had no problems at all.

I think if you plan well, things will be fine. I'd NEVER allow a pet to fly as cargo though - too many scary stories out there of pet carriers being run over, pets managing to get out and becoming lost forever, pets stolen (face it, if an Air Canada employee would steal Sidney Crosby's jersey, one could also have stolen my Yin Yin)or dying from the extremely low oxygen level in the cargo hold.

wilstef
January 14th, 2005, 07:46 PM
thanks for all your good advice - i'm hoping it all goes ok. i'm planning to use a pet-wheel-away carrier - much more expensive than the sherpa bag but seems to be much more stable and comfortable for my dog. i'll let you know how we do on jetsgo.

twinmommy
January 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM
If you are in the Montreal area, I know of someone who rents those carriers.
Save you the expense. :thumbs up Let me know ...I'll dig it out :D

wilstef
January 15th, 2005, 10:57 PM
no unfortunately i'm not - but what a great idea! i wonder if your mtl. contact knows anybody in the toronto area that provides a similar service??thanks for the offer, in any case.

twinmommy
January 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Her name is Lori and she runs Pawsitive Travel here in Mtl. I'll try to find her number(s) and check out if she has a website. When do you travel? I'll see a client of mine that is a mutual friend on Sat. Jan 22nd...do you need the info before then?? I'll pM you with anything I can dig up.... :thumbs up

twinmommy
January 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Pawsitive travel

Phone : (514) 932-5283
Fax :
pawsitivetravel@hotmail.com

wilstef
January 16th, 2005, 06:56 PM
thank you so much for the info - i'll check out the website right away. i am not flying till mid-feb. so have a bit of time to work something out.

PetsCanStay
February 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM
You can get the people at Pets Can Stay to help you for free and even make your reservations for you. The website is www.petscanstay.com.

Good luck!

moo-goo
February 5th, 2005, 11:36 PM
dogs + cats do not fly in the plane with the people - they fly underneath with the luggage.

i flew jetsgo from vancouver to ottawa (via toronto) with my cat a couple years ago. instead of being transferred with the rest of my luggage she got sent all the way to halifax, and had to wait a whole day to get back - through toronto - to ottawa. basically a 7hr trip took her 2 days! i will never use jetsgo again for animals.