Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Deaf dog needs help

Lucky Rescue
January 11th, 2005, 11:40 AM
YOu can read about Boomer HERE (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=85193&posted=1#post85193)

Here is Boomer's problem:

"He is deaf. Boomer seems to be doing fine during the day time. It is during the night that he becomes very anxious. He never barks or makes noise: he constantly walks all night from one room to the other room, his ears are down like if he was looking for something. The responsible of spca thinks something happened to his previous owner during the night(?) How can we help Boomer??"

Since he can't hear and probably can't see well at night, I have suggested nightlights, a crate and maybe REscue Remedy to ease his anxiety.

Any other suggestions to help this baby??

badger
January 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Could she attach him to the side of the bed? I wonder how awake he actually is when he starts to wander. Definitely try rescue remedy. Makes you wonder about his previous history, for sure.

Lucky Rescue
January 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Personally, I feel this is why he was dumped in the first place.

Tethering him to the side of the bed is also a good idea. I dont' want this problem to stop his adoption going through!!:(

happycats
January 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I know some may thinks it's bad, but what about letting Boomer, sleep in bed with you?? He may feel much more secure "feeling" you near him in the night,
since he can't hear or see you. :)

maddoxies
January 11th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Boomer started Rescue Remedy this weekend and it seems to be helping him. Danielle has taken him into her bed with her also. The exercise on the weekend seems to have helped too, he did sleep better Sat. night.

She tried crating him, but he bit through the wire crate and hurt his mouth. If the RR and night lights (and getting used to a new place) are not sufficient, I will try my Veri Kennel with him (except the plastic sides will cut down on the light for him). But as of last night, Danielle indicated that there has been improvement with the exercise on Saturday and the RR. I also have some lavender spray she can use on his bed (small quantities are a relaxant, too much lavender will become a stimulant for animals).

Attaching the leash to the bed is a good idea and I will be sure to pass that on to her. I have also joined the meetup group for deaf and blind pets (there are two of us so far), being in rescue, I thought the info from the group would be useful and we can share Boomer's experiences too.

As for the possible Ottawa home, don't forget that Lyne has offered to do transport while she is working there. She would probably be available to do the home inspection too (if we need one).

mastifflover
January 11th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Buddy is partially deaf and he is a little more unsure but that is getting better all the time but he will be playing and always stops to look to make sure I am near. I think having him sleep either on the bed or have a bed for him beside you might make him feel more comfortable.

lil_kirk
January 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Another thing that might be bothering him is the fact that during the night time everything that he uses to sense with is turned off. No more vibrations from the tv, people walking around, cars driving by, elevators in the building--the only thing that emits a noise tends to be the refridgerator. Now, I'm no expert, but perhaps this is part of his problem? He feels a lack of control as he loses his ability to sense where he is, what's going on, etc. I can only imagine it being a very hard situation to be in for the little guy.

Lucky Rescue
January 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
By the age of 13 my last dog was deaf and had limited vision and that would cause him to startle easily. But he was in his own home so was comfortable for the most part.

I really feel a night light and tethering to the bed may help Boomer and ease his anxiety.

Unless the new owners are prepared to let him sleep in their bed, I would not do this in a foster situation.

maddoxies
January 11th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Well, I spoke too soon, Boomer had a bad night last night.

We are going to try the plastic crate (so he cannot hurt himself) with it positioned so that enought light comes in the doorway, and a touch of lavender spray on his bedding.

Also, Danielle was not sure how much RR to give, so we can increase his doseage, and possibly consult a vet for a stronger calmatif (short term only). Some of his reactions could be as a result of whatever he may have gone through in his previous home, then being tied up outside in the dark at the SPCA, whatever time he spent there and now a new home.

I have suggested that if she can, maybe confine Boomer in another room at night, where all the lights can be left on. (such as the kitchen, where he will also have the appliance vibrations (good suggestion).

Any other suggestions ???? We desperately want to help this fellow, but Danielle travels from Ste Agathe to Anjou for work 4 days per week, so she REALLY needs her sleep.

badger
January 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Is the dog alone all day? Not to criticize, but this may be a clue.
As far as I know, you can give RR in any dose. Also, as you probably know, herbal remedies take longer to have an effect. Poor fellow, what is he looking for?

mastifflover
January 11th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I think you also have a point badger new home, new people he does not understand what has happened to his life he once knew and that is hard on any dog especially an older special needs dog. He may be feeling lost and that is why he is wandering at night. Can he sleep in your room at night in his crate he may feel more secure just knowing you are there

happycats
January 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM
If Boomer is walking from room to room, like he is looking for something.
Maybe he is looking for his previous owner? and going room to room to find them. He is 10, and may have had the same family all that time, so porbably just sad :sad: and confused :confused: . because he can't find them.
Seems he needs extra TLC in the evening. Poor Poor baby, I wish him the best.

maddoxies
January 11th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Boomer is fine during the day, and yes, his foster mom does work, but only 4 days per week, so he has someone with him full time 3 days per week. Although she has a long commute on working days, her hubby works locally, so Boomer is not home alone that long. And Boomer is fine home alone during the day light hours.

Certainly the past week has been a great stress on the poor boy. He is lucky though, to have this foster home, she is one of my very best foster moms. :queen: Before leaving a foster home alone all day, she departs, leaving the foster alone and then sneaks back to see what is happening. Boomer does not pace during the daylight hours, only at night.

The foster home did try crating him, but he bit the wire cage until he hurt his mouth. They are going to pick up my plastic Veri-Kennel tomorrow and see if that helps (although I am concerned that he can still hurt himself trying to bite the wire door). It would appear that he has never been crated before. The crate is in their bedroom.

The foster home has a cat, but Boomer has not fussed over the cat from the first second, so I suspect he is used to other animals and that is not what is bothering him now. I wish we could somehow communicate with his old family, perhaps something of theirs with the old scent of "home" would help to calm him down.

Hope this gives some more info, please keep the suggestions coming, we will find the right combination of conditions for this fellow yet :thumbs up

badger
January 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I don't know the first thing about dogs but if he's never been crated I wouldn't start now. Just one more stressful element. I'd talk to a really good vet, however, one that had some understanding of doggie behaviour.

dmc123
January 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I have been reading all the posts, I wish I had personal info/advice to share! But my heart goes out to Boomer....so I started a google search on comfort for a deaf dog. Found a couple neat ideas, books, etc. Perhaps something here will help.

~~Diane

Living with a Deaf Dog by Susan Cope Becker
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/beckerdeaf.html

Deaf Dog Education Action Fund
http://www.deafdogs.org/training/
or
http://www.deafdogs.org/index.html

http://www.deafdogs.com/

mastifflover
January 11th, 2005, 06:56 PM
deaf dogs is a wonderful site and you might consider talking with them about boomer they were quite helpful when I first got Buddy and realized that he is partially deaf he was not ignoring me he couldn't hear me when I was on one side of him. So they gave me some very helpful training tips for deaf dogs.

TobsterMom
January 11th, 2005, 07:34 PM
If he is used to other animals, (cats) something tells me that he may have had a doggie sibling to sleep with....perhaps he's grieving? I don't know, just a thought. Probably many things at once contributing to this poor guys anxiety, I would probably pace too. Poor guy, I wish I could hug him! :grouphug:

Karin
January 11th, 2005, 09:01 PM
If he is used to other animals, (cats) something tells me that he may have had a doggie sibling to sleep with....perhaps he's grieving? I don't know, just a thought. Probably many things at once contributing to this poor guys anxiety, I would probably pace too. Poor guy, I wish I could hug him! :grouphug:

You typed the words right out of my mouth....although it does seem like many past experiences are stressing this poor dog, he may be missing companionship of his own kind, one that can comunicate in his own language. He has a bond somewhere.

Lucky Rescue
January 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
OH I'm sure he's stressed, grieving and traumatized as any dog (particularly a senior) would be at being tied to a post and abandoned in the cold and dark. But I do think his deafness is playing a part in his nighttime restlessness. Being unable to see as well as hear, and in a strange place, would stress him more.

I truly hope the rescue remedy, having some lights on and maybe sleeping next to a person (on the floor on a comfy bed of course) will help this ol' sweetie!

I think these steps, plus some love and patience will work wonders.

Karin
January 11th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Being a deaf dog, assuming he has been deaf since birth, he had to have had caring people to make it this far. Deafness is a death sentenance otherwise. Even if he lost his hearing later on, someone really cared for this guy, sometime down the road he has traveled..

I want to hug & cuddle him so bad right now, I wish we lived closer!

maddoxies
January 12th, 2005, 09:46 AM
We are not sure when Boomer became deaf, if it is from birth, or an age thing. One ear was frozen when the SPCA found him. Since his eye sight seems to be failing too, I suspect age is the culprit, but we shall never know.

I have suggested that the foster mom call some of the area vets, in case they know the dog. We suspect he has not seen a vet in a while, but even long shots need to be checked out. I know there are confidentiality issues, but I think if we find a vet that knows the dog, the vet could give the SPCA medical info without revealing the former owners' identity.

Boomer had a better night last night (the foster mom has always had him in her room with her). She has tried another homeopathic remedy, Ignatia Amarra, by Homeocan. Has anyone heard of it, or had experience using it? That and RR seem to have given Boomer more relief.

She has also had a second inquiry about Boomer, so paws crossed.

mastifflover
January 12th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I just read an article last night that maybe of some help it is in Dog Fancy and was about St. John's Wort and dogs and though it does not work for every dog it does work with some. It has a very calming effect on them. It is in this months Dog Fancy there is a greyhound on the front cover and there is a good article on rescues as well but I would grab a copy and read it. I don't have it at work or I would copy it and post it for you but it is something to be considered.

Karin
January 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Has Boomer been scanned for a micro chip yet?

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Poor Boomer....I wish I could help!
I like the idea of tethering him next to the bed, or even letting him sleep in the bed....this seems almost like a form of seperation anxiety?
Actually, he is lucky to have found people to care for him and take him in....bless his resuers & foster mom.
Maybe once he's had a bit more time to get used to a new routine, he'll improve. I can't imagine tying a dog up and abandoning it in the middle of the night, how incredibly cruel!

glasslass
January 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
My Pop had an elderly female Cairn Terrior/Mix who was strictly his dog. She loved my Mom too, but was definitely Pop's dog, always sleeping at the foot of his bed, or next to it. When Pop died, Mitzy would never sleep in the bedroom. During the day, she seemed normal. At night, she'd wander from spot to spot in the livingroom, like she was waiting for him to come home. Pop died at home so she was aware. Every morning, Mom would find her sleeping in different spots. This continued until Mitzy died about 2 years later. Mom tried to get her to sleep with her but she'd always refuse and Mom finally let her sleep where she wanted. We think she was about 13yo when Pop died. The night Mitzy died, she slept on the bed next to Mom and just seemed to accept Mom's loving and just relaxed. I don't know if this is similar to what Boomer is going through.

maddoxies
January 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I am very happy to report that Boomer is doing much better. He is settling into his foster home now and is starting to sleep peacefully through the nights. It would appear that his restlessness was due to the changes and stresses, which the poor fellow has had more than his share of this past week. Boomer is eating well, interactive with his foster family and likes his walks and car rides. His foster family has also determined that he is not totally deaf. When they clap their hands behind his back, Boomer will turn and look at them, so it would seem that he has signifcant hearing loss, but not total deafness. He is in great health otherwise and will make a wonderful, loving companion for someone to share his truly "golden" years.

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks that made my morning I am so pleased he is settling in.