Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there enough taurine in Meeko's diet?

Meghan_K
January 11th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Just wondering,
I was reading an article earlier on the importance of taurine in a cats diet. My question is this-will the no name wet catfood I am using supply enough of it to ensure Meeko is getting enough to develop properly? The catfood manufacturer makes no note of taurine on the back of the can, just meat byproducts. It's called, "super supper". :o
I give Meeko half a can a day with dry catfood provided 24/7. So...is it enough taurine? Or should I shell out for a more expensive cat food?

coonlover
January 11th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Theres a product made by Whiskas Ive given to my cats called cat milk. It is supposed to be a good source of Taurine and is lactose free. Its in a purple box (like a juice box) and is sold in most stores, Ive seen it a walmart, price chopper and other grocery stores.

Meghan_K
January 12th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Oo, sounds cool. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, coonlover. :)

Carina
January 12th, 2005, 06:33 AM
There is taurine in meat - so theoretically it's present in the canned food. Usually it's added to cat food because cat food doesn't contain all meat, or it contains the parts that don't contain much taurine.
Taurine is found in greatest quantities in rodents, something cat eat naturally but usually aren't a big part of cat food ingredients. :) It's in beef & poultry, but not as concentrated. Hearts are high in it, like chicken hearts.

You can also buy taurine at health food stores, it is quite cheap & people who homecook for their cats do this.