Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy amount of Shedding

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Belle was shedding alot a couple weeks ago due to stress. Shes all back to normal now except that she is still shedding alot. I gave her a good brushing last week and got 12 brushfulls of hair (hope that makes sense) I stopped brushing because its winter and she needs all the hair she can get. A few days after that I got 6 more, and now I brush her every second day or so and still get a couple brushfuls. This seems like a ridiculous amount to me. Of course their is hair everywhere, despite our constant vaccuuming and runnung the humidifier. Its driving me nuts. My clothes are covered before I even pet her! Any ideas about what this could be or what I should do about it?

lil_kirk
January 10th, 2005, 05:45 PM
what kind of dog is she?

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM
She is a cockerspaniel X. I will post a pic, but cant figure out how.

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM
and shes about 6.5 years old. Ive had her for about 4 or so months

mastifflover
January 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Try putting fish oil in her food and her food could also be a part of the problem. What are you feeding hernow? Depending on the food some have omega 3 & 6' s in it already but it is also a good supplement.

lil_kirk
January 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Fish oil is great for hair--theirs and ours :p

SarahLynn123
January 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Try putting fish oil in her food and her food could also be a part of the problem. What are you feeding hernow? Depending on the food some have omega 3 & 6' s in it already but it is also a good supplement.

Shes on Nutra Max lamb and chicken small bite. I will ive the fish oils a try, hopefully it works. Thanks

maddoxies
January 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
My golden is shedding abnormally also. Clumps of fur are constantly hanging from him. :crazy: I swear I could use the stripper and rake until he is bald. Another friend has the same problem with her golden too. Both are on quality food. I am wondering if the crazy weather has something to do with it. So cold and then warming up again (12 on Thurs !!) Perhaps their systems have been tricked into thinking spring is coming ?? or are just plain confused.

I have used Shed Stopper (found it a PetValu). It is a liquid applied to the coat which does help to control non-seasonal shedding. I decant it into my own spray bottle, spray the coat and rub in. Unfortunately, I have not found it here in Quebec. Looks like I may be making a run into Cornwall

mastifflover
January 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
This year I have noticed it as well is much worse and I agree I think the way the temps. have been fluctuating has wreaked havov on their systems. Buddy is way worse this year then last.

SarahLynn123
January 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
so I dont need to worry then,
Thanks!