Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Off leash little tiff

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I was at a small off leash park on the weekend, and Belle had a little run in with a dog. Belle likes to sniff bums and move on. She is almost seven and has never played with anyone or any dog in her life as far as I know. This dog was young, medium sized dog. He tried to wrestle and Belle barked at him to leave her alone, then he was trying to stand on her/over her and was pushing her around. He wasn't violent, and neither was she, but he wasnt listening to her or his owner. What should I do in this situation. This dog could have inadvertantly hurt Belle. This little run in happened right by me and no where near this other dogs owner. I was tempted to grab this other dog off mine, but held back because he wasnt hurting her and I didn't want to make the situation worse. The owner came and the dog finally listened and left. What should I have done in this situation? Id like to be prepared next time.
Thanks

raingirl
January 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I see this happen all the time at the dog parks I have visited. I recently went to the one by my house to watch the dogs (since I don't have one) and talk to other owners.

There was this one dog, looked like a Dogue, but not exactly, and it was terrorizing all the other dogs. Also, it didn't look like he was neutered either (which is now allowed in this dog park). He looked just like he was a puppy and wanted to play, but all the other dogs were just walking around ignoring him. One sheppard snapped at him that was pissed off.

Anyway, the owner had no control over him whatsoever. He would call him, but he wouldn't come. He was the kind of owner who stands off to one side that none of the other owners talk to! It was sad. All I kept thinking was that this dog, if it doesn't get trained soon, could cause some damage.

heeler's rock!
January 10th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Sarah! Yes, this is a common thing at dog parks. My little guy Helix, can be a bother at times too, but Belle held her own with him! If the dog isn't trying to be agressive with Belle, and Belle isn't being hurt, there isn't much you can do, other than picking Belle up and running away! :rolleyes: :p (I'm just joking BTW. Don't really do that!) :) Belle was obviously communicating to the dog to back off, and the dog is most likely young and still learning canine language. I have seen dogs Belle's size or smaller, push the big ones around when they get too bothersome, so I wouldn't worry too much about her safety, unless the dog is really trying to squash her or something. If it gets to the point where you're trying to leave, but the dog won't let up and isn't listening to it's owners, you can either ask the owner to put their dog on leash and get it away from Belle, or you can put Belle on leash and leave the situation. If the other dog sees Belle leaving, he most likely won't follow her if she doesn't stop to give him the opportunity to bug again.

Red doesn't like being bothered either, so I understand your situation completely. Hope this helps somewhat! :D

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Hi Sarah! Yes, this is a common thing at dog parks. My little guy Helix, can be a bother at times too, but Belle held her own with him! If the dog isn't trying to be agressive with Belle, and Belle isn't being hurt, there isn't much you can do, other than picking Belle up and running away! :rolleyes: :p (I'm just joking BTW. Don't really do that!) :) Belle was obviously communicating to the dog to back off, and the dog is most likely young and still learning canine language. I have seen dogs Belle's size or smaller, push the big ones around when they get too bothersome, so I wouldn't worry too much about her safety, unless the dog is really trying to squash her or something. If it gets to the point where you're trying to leave, but the dog won't let up and isn't listening to it's owners, you can either ask the owner to put their dog on leash and get it away from Belle, or you can put Belle on leash and leave the situation. If the other dog sees Belle leaving, he most likely won't follow her if she doesn't stop to give him the opportunity to bug again.

Red doesn't like being bothered either, so I understand your situation completely. Hope this helps somewhat! :D

Shes quite good at standing her ground and holding her own. This was definatly a big pup. He was probably pushing her buttons because she was the only dog in the park that didnt wasnt to wrestle with him! So as long as no ones getting hurt will let her handle the situation! Thanks for your help!

Dukieboy
January 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I was at a small off leash park on the weekend, and Belle had a little run in with a dog. Belle likes to sniff bums and move on. She is almost seven and has never played with anyone or any dog in her life as far as I know. This dog was young, medium sized dog. He tried to wrestle and Belle barked at him to leave her alone, then he was trying to stand on her/over her and was pushing her around. He wasn't violent, and neither was she, but he wasnt listening to her or his owner. What should I do in this situation. This dog could have inadvertantly hurt Belle. This little run in happened right by me and no where near this other dogs owner. I was tempted to grab this other dog off mine, but held back because he wasnt hurting her and I didn't want to make the situation worse. The owner came and the dog finally listened and left. What should I have done in this situation? Id like to be prepared next time.
Thanks

I am not sure I understand why you would take your dog to an off leash if he/she doesn't like to play with other dogs? Most folks take thier dogs there to play?

heeler's rock!
January 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah, that's the best thing. If you intervene too much, or too often, Belle won't be able to defend herself when neccessary, and she'll constantly be relying on you to do it for her. Obviously, if it starts getting too rough or outta hand, by all means, step in and get Belle outta there, even if it means picking her up. The best way to beak up a dog fight, is to yell "HEY!" really loud to startle them for a second, grab your dog, and high tail it outta there! Never get in the middle. You could get hurt!

heeler's rock!
January 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Well, my dog doesn't like to play, but she still needs the socialization. She needs to learn to not be agressive with other dogs, but she doesn't have to play with them either. If I kept her away from other dogs entirely, she'd have serious social and anxiety issues. At least this way, she's understanding that if a strange dog comes and sniffs her, it's not the end of the world. She also learns canine language, and can tell the difference between an agressive dog, a happy dog, a neutral dog, and so on, and can therefore choose an appropriate course of action. She also likes being out at these places and herding all the dogs! :rolleyes: :p

sammiec
January 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM
The other dog was showing dominance to Belle. That's what dogs do... the worst thing that you can do is try and remove her from that situation. If she is submitting to the other dog by lying down or cowering, it's normal dog behaviour. Don't step in and grab your dog, don't soothe her and tell her that it's alright and pick her up. This instills that her submissive behaviour is okay and she will continue to react that way and very well could turn into a big chicken. If the other dog is not violent and mean to Belle, just leave them be.

Many people enjoy taking their animals to the offleash parks so they can socialize, meet new dogs, and run their butts off... but these can be dangerous situations. It is pretty much organized chaos. There is great opportunities for many dog fights. Dominant dogs are trying their leadership skills constantly. More often then not there are little fights that can and do escalate, and many owners do not have the ability to break it up. Many owners also do not respect the fact that every animal that goes to an off leash park must be UTD and fixed.

And you will always be faced with those dogs that have little to no training at all...If you're willing to keep visiting the dog park these are things that will be occuring on a regular basis.

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I am not sure I understand why you would take your dog to an off leash if he/she doesn't like to play with other dogs? Most folks take thier dogs there to play?

Shes not mean or anything, shes just too old and before I got her she was to isolated to know how to play. She loves to meet other dogs, and they are huge open areas for her to run full out and burn energy, shes able to smell around and investigate things she cant if shes on a leash and catch up to me and run ahead. She always keeps me in sight. I find she has more fun when shes not stuck on a leash at my side, its a nice change for her.

heeler's rock!
January 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Yes, the dog park debate continues coming up on here. I have been taking Red to dog parks for 3 years, and have never had an incident that can't be controlled. Ignorant people are everywhere, and I feel more comfortable in an off leash park with other dog lovers, than on the street with people who are affraid or who hate dogs. I've yet to come accross a horrible dog park in Calgary, and we're very lucky that our city is as dog friendly as it is. Maybe things are different in Ontario, but all of the dog owners I have encountered have been just as courteous as I have been.

Don't be scared to take Belle off leash Sarah. She's making such great progress! She needs this socialization. :)

sammiec
January 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM
HR that was not the point of my post. There are situations that arise in a dog park that you have less control over. I never said anything along the lines of DON'T TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE PARK. I was merely letting her know that there are potential situations that can arise in the dog parks because it seems new to her. Sheesh.

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
The other dog was showing dominance to Belle. That's what dogs do... the worst thing that you can do is try and remove her from that situation. If she is submitting to the other dog by lying down or cowering, it's normal dog behaviour. Don't step in and grab your dog, don't soothe her and tell her that it's alright and pick her up. This instills that her submissive behaviour is okay and she will continue to react that way and very well could turn into a big chicken. If the other dog is not violent and mean to Belle, just leave them be.

Many people enjoy taking their animals to the offleash parks so they can socialize, meet new dogs, and run their butts off... but these can be dangerous situations. It is pretty much organized chaos. There is great opportunities for many dog fights. Dominant dogs are trying their leadership skills constantly. More often then not there are little fights that can and do escalate, and many owners do not have the ability to break it up. Many owners also do not respect the fact that every animal that goes to an off leash park must be UTD and fixed.

And you will always be faced with those dogs that have little to no training at all...If you're willing to keep visiting the dog park these are things that will be occuring on a regular basis.

That is exactly what was happening, so was showing dominance. I always knew that little fights could break out, but I have never seen a dog show dominance before. I was a little confused as to what was going on because no one was being hurt!

sammiec
January 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
No one should be hurt when a dog shows dominance to another. Say for instance.. when Belle walks up to another dog and he/she turns to face her, their body goes straight and tense and they have their head high...or they place their chin or paw on Belle's back. Those are signs that the dog is merely trying to show her that he/she's the boss. BUT if you have two dominant dogs doing this it can break into a fight because they are both trying to prove they are dominant over the other.

When/If Belle lies on the ground on her belly, or rolls over on to her back and lets the other dogs sniff her, she is being submissive. This is okay. Just don't praise her for these actions by picking her up, or soothing her. This will encourage the submissive behaviour and it will be more difficult for her to open up and meet new dogs.

Hope you guys are doing well!!

SarahLynn123
January 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Ive seen her do both! Lay on her back on saturday, and last weekend she got on her hind legs and put her paw on a dogs back. Both made me nervous
because I had no idea what they were up to.

Thanks for all the help and info I got from everyone.

sammiec
January 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Ive seen her do both! Lay on her back on saturday, and last weekend she got on her hind legs and put her paw on a dogs back. Both made me nervous
because I had no idea what they were up to.

Thanks for all the help and info I got from everyone.

That's okay if she does both. My pit bull is the same. They seem to "know" who they can dominate and who's not even an option. :p It's like a child knows that that might be able to get away with something with their teacher - but the principal, for-get it!!! :D

heeler's rock!
January 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM
HR that was not the point of my post. There are situations that arise in a dog park that you have less control over. I never said anything along the lines of DON'T TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE PARK. I was merely letting her know that there are potential situations that can arise in the dog parks because it seems new to her. Sheesh.

Calm down Sammiec. I never said that's what you were saying, but I've heard your opinions on off leash areas before, so I didn't want that to scare Sarah away from taking Belle off leash. That's all. No need for sheesh-ing.