Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me! himaylan with really bad mats!

killroy84
January 10th, 2005, 05:05 AM
:usa: I am in the military, and just got home from a 6 month deployment. When I got back, I discovered that my very long-haired himalayan has extremely large mats all over his body. The mats are very close to the skin and brushing is not helping. I don't want to shave him...but it is looking like that is the only resolution. Help!!!!! :(

Sneaky2006
January 10th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Sorry...I don't know of any other way to get rid of it besides shaving... Was there someone supposed to be taking care of him, brushing and such, while you were gone?

Cinnabear
January 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
You're going to have to shave him. Those mats are starting to get too close to the skin and then it starts pulling to make a bigger mat. Then you can see how painful it looks. BTDT. You can use dematting combs and see if that works too. I find it easier just to shave the cat. Good luck to you. :)

BullboxLover
January 10th, 2005, 09:51 PM
When I was 16, I had a seal-point hym. She was beautiful!! Then she ran away for, I think that it was 6 or 7 days, when she came back she also had horriable matts!! I had to shave her, it broke my heart. Her hair did grow back of coarse, but it was never the same, it grew back darker and with uneven coloring.

susanheb
January 11th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Okay, this may seem a little uninformed and I apologize if I seem to be, regarding your cat or cats in general. That said, I have a shih tzu and one time he got a hug mat on his tail and I most definitely did not want to cut it out, so I wet it and used a conditioner (plenty) and gently tugged at the fur (hair) until I got it out. I used a comb as well. I'm not sure if this could work for a cat with fur or just a cat in general but I seem to remember bathing a cat in my past. I also use this trick on my daughter who has very long hair and who sometimes forgets to brush. I lather on the conditioner and take a pic and brush it out while wet with conditioner. It does wonders...
Hth's a little.
Sue

Cflat
January 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
If you can get in there with a pair of scissors and split the mat a few times, you may be able to comb it out. There will be some hair loss but not as drastic as shaving. Put the scissors in close to the cats body and cut AWAY from it through the mat.

Lise
January 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I do some grooming in our kennel and I find carefully using a matt splitter away from the body and breaking the matt into smaller pieces and then gently combing them out usually works.It's also a good idea to do this over a couple of sessions.I've got three himmy housecats who don't seem to matt as easily since I switched from iams to nutro .