Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy things my dog does!

Jmar40
January 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I am wondering if anyone can tell me why my dog rolls around in other dogs poop when he goes outside? He has begun to do this everytime we let him out the front door. It has got to the point that we only let him out ttin the back yard where it is fenced off. I just wonder if he is lacking in some vitamin or if he is just crazy! Any help with this would be "GREAT"!

Thanks,
Jmar40

Copper'sMom
January 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I think it is because dogs just like anything that stinks!! My dog will do the same thing--usually with rabbit poop or wild animal poop that he finds.

Carina
January 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Dogs just like to roll in stinky things, whether it's poop or dead animals. For many dogs, this is quite normal behaviour. :yuck:

But....probably best not letting him out in an unfenced front yard for several reasons....the back yard is safest. If you take him for walks or whatever, just watch for signs that he's going to roll on something and divert his attention before he does.

Schwinn
January 9th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Daisy used to do this on anything stinky...dog poop, bird poop, even a dead bird once. Somebody told me it had something to do with the dog smelling another animals scent, and trying to cover it with her's. She hasn't done it for over a year, so we don't know if she finally caught on to our horror or whether she just grew out of it.

marko
January 9th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Taken from the archives from the vet Q & A link on every page -

I think this might be what you're looking for in that it offers a possible explanation.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=57

Jmar40
January 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks, for all of the replies! I think from now on Jasper will only go out in the back yard by himself because it is fenced. The only way he will get out the front door is if we stay out there with him,{because he won't run off if we are out there} or if I am taking him for a walk on his leash. Again, thank you for all of the replies.

Jmar40
So. Georgia. :thumbs up