Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Discrimination against my dog

Lady_Eleven
January 9th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Well today I took my beautiful dog Maggie, an Australian Shepherd x Border Colie/Lab with me on a walk to the dollar store to pick up a few things. Maggie has been to the store multiple times, and they were the ones who told me it was okay to bring her in before. And she's been nothing but an angel while shopping there. All of a sudden today they tell me "no dogs". No sign up, no nothing.. yet I see people with thier small dogs going there all the time... even seen a boxer there. I'm wondering why the change in decision, and why they wont let my dog in. A few months prior to this, the convience store that I always go to with her (again she has always been well behaved in the store, not a bark or whine, she sits until we move in line... etc.) says "no dogs", after a girl in the store says "oh my god, you let dogs in here?!" and then there was a sign a few days later on the door "no dogs". Mind you these people that run the store used to even pet her when she came in.
It's really starting to get on my nerves. Okay so my dog pulls on a leash OUTSIDE, but knows where to draw the line. Otherwise she's been doing really well. But even some people move away as fast as they can on the sidewalk as if she's going to eat them in one bite. Come on! She even lays down on the ground for other dogs (especially small dogs or frightened dogs) to greet her... patiently waiting for a visit.

So what is the problem with people being afraid of dark coloured dogs? Im pretty sure thats what it is.. she's fairly large, and almost completely black. Even I noticed that shelters have more trouble adopiting out animals with black fur, even read a few articles about it. And alot of people have told me they dont like black dogs. But it's not fair she gets canned for no reason other than that. She's a beautiful dog, and gentle as a lamb... I'm just very mad that so many people keep backing off or turning us away because they think shes some kind of "evil dog".

Carina
January 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Ha. Try owning a Rottweiler. (I've had Rotties since 1986.)
And I imagine all the pitbull people on these forums have tons of discrimination stories....I know I do!

As far as the "bad" :rolleyes: breeds go....I can understand it sometimes....after all, mostly what non-dog people know about Pits & Rotties is when they read the news stories, and see bite statistics published. Even renting is difficult, because (here in the US) most home-owners insurance policies do not cover certain breeds of dogs - I own homes, and can tell you there's just a few who don't discriminate!

I see it as a challenge....try making my dogs Goodwill Ambassadors! :) It sounds like you and Maggie are doing that now. Don't let the slights get you down...

I don't know why black dogs are less adoptable, or appear more "threatening" to some people. Popular culture - bad guys in Westerns waer the black hats, bad witches wear black...it's the colour of bad, evil things, culturally. Maybe that's part of it?

You could try something like a really cute bandana, or very adorable collar, when you're out with her. You won't believe how much of a difference that can make....people just smile when they see a big black dog wearing a pink bandana!

Lady_Eleven
January 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I don't understand that either.. rotties are big babies.. I havent met a mean one yet. And while I was attacked by a pit when I was younger, this hasnt stopped me from going up and petting one now. It has a lot to do with the owner (they used to abuse that one), and the way they raise and care for the dog.

You might be right about the cultural thing. Though really it is a shame. Maggie isn't one of the breeds that I've seen pick up alot of "bad reviews", and here in Ontario they can't seperate you from your pets (hence not able to prevent me from renting), so in that sense I am lucky. But I'll tell you that those who have gotten to know Maggie completely fall in love with her.

She already wears a bandana. Usually a pink one with polka dots, or purple one to match her collar :thumbs up . And yes, that is one of the reasons I started putting them on her. I think it helped a bit, but with the lastest reactions I've been getting, hasn't solved the problem completly.

twodogsandacat
January 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
If one store doesn't allow in any dogs then we really can't take issue with that. In the film 'life is beautiful' Guido has to explain that people can make whatever rules they want, and that one hardware store in town doesn't let in Spaniards or horses. Don't worry about that one store - they seem to be applying the rule fairly.

As far as the store that doesn't allow your dog in: Go back (without your dog) and politely ask why. I have seen small dogs being carried around some department stores yet would never dream of taking my dog in there. Maybe it is just a size consideration. It could be worse as the owners of pits or dogs that are mistaken for pits have found out. Visit goodpooch.com (http://www.goodpooch.com ) to see some of the examples.

Okay so my dog pulls on a leash OUTSIDE, but knows where to draw the line. Otherwise she's been doing really well. But even some people move away as fast as they can on the sidewalk as if she's going to eat them in one bite.

I don't want to offend you so please take it for what it is. I once watched my girlfriend walking down the street letting Dalton pull her all the way - she just got little bit lazy and focused on her cell phone call. Looking at them I understood how somebody could be intimidated by that lack of control (he's a big dog) but she didn't agree. In the next training session I let him pull me as we walked directly towards her (I was quietly saying 'get your momma"), then on the next lap I had complete control - she got the point. Lack of control can intimidate people - be it perceived or real.

Also don't be so quick to play the race card (just kidding). I agree that in the shelters they seem to have a hard time moving the black dogs. Black dogs can show dander a little bit more and in shelters they tend to sometimes look a little dirtier I wish they would clean them up a little - it's sad.

Copper'sMom
January 9th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I believe you are now being discriminated against because people are uneducated fools when it comes to dogs and what breed they are. They probably aren't sure whether your dog is a pit bull or not. It probably wouldn't matter if you owned a large standard poodle black in colour. They would still think it has pit bull in it.

Karin
January 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM
PetSmart is about the only store in Florida that allows animals inside. Of course all stores must allow registered service dogs or they will be fined.
For the most part this applies mainly to any establishment that serves or sells food for human consumption. It's a health thing. Companys can be fined or closed down if they violate this regulation. The Department of Agriculture conducts inspections also.

Carina
January 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM
As far as dogs in stores....that is up to the store and I would not fault a store that does not allow dogs. (Although I do remember & patronise dog-friendly stores...I am self employed & often have a dog with me.) :)

There are a surprising number of people who really are afraid of dogs - and it would not be fair to them, if they never knew whether they might encounter a large dog while shopping. Little bitty dogs can be picked up and easily controlled, or even hidden in a purse!

I am very careful when I'm in public with a dog. I try to be sensitive to people who are scared or nervous around dogs, and I never ever allow my dogs to approach anyone without the person being quite clear that it is OK. I met someone last week who was brutally attacked a year ago by a bull mastiff (her leg was almost torn off.) She is absolutely traumatised in the presence of dogs, especially big ones. And I do not blame her one bit.

So...I guess I am just saying it's not really fair to label everyone who "does not like dogs" as being uninformed, or an idiot. We live in a crowded world, and it's polite to remember that it's alright that some people are not comfortable around animals!
(Weird though that seems.)

Karin
January 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Just a side note. We have many service dogs in our area. All service dogs wear ID in the form of a vest marked "Service Dog" or "Service Companion".

Most also wear a harness similiar to a seeing eye dog. So many times I see people approach these dogs in a store...these are working animals and should not be disturbed, their concentration should always be on the job at hand. Any distraction can be harmful.

One service dog I know personally, a Rotti, tend to fluster some in the next county over where I do most of my business. Being as how it is still a somewhat small community, she is more acceptable now than 3 years ago. She has been a good ambassador to the Rottwieller breed.

Lady_Eleven
January 9th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I'll wanted to reply to each post individually, but its getting late, so I'll have to do it this way. I'm just a little more frustrated because I think there's been a misunderstanding of why exactly, I am angry about all this.

As for the dollar store, had I walked up there today and seen a no dogs sign on the door, I would have been thinking "okay, fair enough" and walked away unphased. But if they continue to let other dogs in (of similar size), I don't understand why my dog should be treated any differently, especially when she has been so well behaved. Why let a boxer in the store and not my dog? Especially when the dog runs around without the owner even holding onto the leash? Does everyone now understand the slight issue I have? Okay if you're not going to let dogs in because they are bigger, then fine. But dont single out one larger dog and let the other one go in. And if they say "only dogs in that you can carry" fine again. It's not the big dog, little dog thing Im completely ticked about... it's the big dog "yes", big dog "no" that puzzles me. Imagine seeing signs on the door that said.. all dogs allowed except black dogs, golden retrievers, and yorkshire terriers. Wouldnt you be puzzled as to why they were being so specific?

And with the convience store, I dont care that they stopped letting dogs in... it's the reaction from the person that got me mad. Because everyone is acting like my dog has the plague. And when one person acts like that, it can be contagious if you catch my drift. From that girl reacting, all of a sudden the people at the store didnt like my dog despite the fact they did before, and then suddenly started acting like she was a "bad dog" (yes laying there on the floor). I could go over the whole thing that went on in the store, but I'll spare myself as pretty soon I'm going to start to really dislike people (lets just say it was very specific to the look of my dog).

So to cut it short, Im not mad at the stoes that dont allow dogs, but do allow some and are specific to not let others (due to things asides from size). I wouldnt' think of bringing Maggie to Walmart, the grocery store, or a shoe store, etc.
And I understand that people are afraid fo dogs, I dopnt think they are stupid. I dont think they are uninformed. But think of this.. you see a person walking down the street. They walk past a golden retriever, they walk past a poodle... they come to your dog, and clear the way. Wouldnt you feel just slightly irritated? Wonder why your well behaved, clean looking, dog with shots, tags, and a friendly personality gets the "ew keep it away" kick. That dog that you love gets a label of automatically being a "bad dog". Now I know how people with breeds of dogs such as the pitt feel.

I should have better worded myself earlier with the walking bit. I call it a pull. She is at the end of the leash.. not crazy and out of control dragging me down the street. It;s still something we are working on - but when we pass people and go across the street she is beside me. Soon enough I hope to have her walking beside me at all times when not playing. I dont take it to insult, esoecially since I said pull (and I can imgine the image that can bring up lol)

Last but not least, sorry Copper'sMom, she doesnt look like a pitbull - we were talking about hwo people are quick to judge rotties and pitbulls. MAggie looks similar to this dog:

http://www.kongcompany.com/database/pictures/2171.jpg (lets hope that is the right picture)

Carina
January 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
They walk past a golden retriever, they walk past a poodle... they come to your dog, and clear the way. Wouldnt you feel just slightly irritated?

Nope, I really don't. :)
I have had close on 20 years of some people being nervous, "discriminating", whatever.
I've also had close on 20 years of seeing and hearing people respond very positively to my dogs, come to love them; even change their whole mind-set about dogs because of mine. That's what I choose to focus on.
You can choose too. :)
Now, if you consistently have people backing away from your dog, making comments, etc - maybe you need to take an honest look at how you are presenting yourself, and her.

I can honestly say that in almost 20 years of owning - and being in public with on almost a daily basis - my "demon" dogs, I've had positive:negative reactions at about 50:1.
And we are talking 100lb+, black dogs with brown markings, bad-reputation Rottweilers.

twodogsandacat
January 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Nice answer Carina.

As far as the convenience store is concerned - get vindictive. If they sell food then no dogs should be allowed in there except service dogs. Tell them that if they are going to be discriminatory then you will have to report them to the health department. End of story.

I didn't mean to imply your dog was totally out of control and I’m glad you are working on it. We work on it everyday and it’s tough because we knew nothing when we got Dalton. The PetSmart training only made him a cookie monster, and if he didn't’t want a cookie then we got nothing. It’s been one heck of a learning experience and we are now spending time undoing the damage we have already done.

As for the discrimination – forget it. I once had a lady in PetSmart (of all places) shaking because somebody said there was a pit in the aisle. They felt it was OK to tell her this after she had already stated she was afraid of all dogs. We left the aisle and of course the staff explained that our dog was a Rhodesian (but what if he was a well behaved pit?). Some people are just afraid and some people are just idiots - they have to be handled differently.

I would never do it especially to someone truly afraid of dogs but I swear the next time some know it all (but not about dogs) opinionated jerk tells me I have a pit I would love to ask them if they were sure and when they said yes throw the leash down and run away screaming "pit bull pit bull" leaving them standing with what they think is a pit (when the leash is thrown down he stays). OK I know I’ll never do it but I just wish I could see their face as I ran. :evil:

BUT really Carina's answer is much better than mine. It's great when somebody says you dog is well behaved. :)

Lucky Rescue
January 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM
They walk past a golden retriever, they walk past a poodle... they come to your dog, and clear the way. Wouldnt you feel just slightly irritated?

Depends on my mood. I have a pit bull, and can say I haven't had too many bad reactions to her. Usually people are curious and when they meet my dog and see how sweet and friendly she is, they are surprised, since the only information they have is from the media, and we know how reliable they are.

Other people fling nasty comments. Sometimes I ignore them and sometimes do not.

And if you lived in QC, you wouldn't be taking any animal into any public place. Around here they have some kind of primitive and vague fear of "germs". :rolleyes:

Carina
January 9th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I swear the next time some know it all (but not about dogs) opinionated jerk tells me I have a pit I would love to ask them if they were sure and when they said yes throw the leash down and run away screaming "pit bull pit bull" leaving them standing with what they think is a pit (when the leash is thrown down he stays). OK I know I’ll never do it but I just wish I could see their face as I ran. :evil:

BUT really Carina's answer is much better than mine. It's great when somebody says you dog is well behaved. :)

Oh please do the throw down leash thing and post a video of that! :thumbs up :D
And may I point out, that my dogs have acted like total embarassing buttheads in public at times. There absolutely have been times where I've hung my head because I messed up and allowed my dogs to embarass me.
(Mostly when Cooper was going through his Horrible Teens. He was a very challenging young man.) :yuck:

However, those are occasions to learn from....heck, we learn more from the challenging dogs than the easy ones!

twodogsandacat
January 9th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I know what you mean. I live in a small town. Dalton has acted up three times at the canal (one not really his fault but still). The other two times people I work with were nearby. I was so embarassed as he sat there and barked at me because I had put his ball away...I could of given it back but I can be as stubbon as he can. We have just finished an obedience course and we will be seeing a new trainer in Febuary to work on the toy obession. He is just coming out of this terrible teens. The weird thing is I was so concerned that he wouldn't chase a ball for almost a year and now I can't stop him.

That would be funny with the leash thing but of course I wouldn't have the camera with me. Still you never know. :evil:

Katherine1
January 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM
they were the ones who told me it was okay to bring her in before. And she's been nothing but an angel while shopping there. All of a sudden today they tell me "no dogs". No sign up, no nothing.. yet I see people with thier small dogs going there all the time... even seen a boxer there. :confused: I don't know many here as I am still a fairly new member and I don't want to insult anyone, but I have read the posts here and feel like the main issue for Lady_Eleven was missed. She seemed to be mainly upset about the fact that her furbaby had been banned from a place that she had many times previously been allowed to go and yet others were still allowed there. I would be upset too especially if my baby had not done anything to warrent the rejection. The rest of the post seemed to me to be her view of what is happening to her and her furbaby personally coming from frustration over how they were recently treated. As I refected on the origianal post, it came to me that she is feeling just as rejected as her furbaby. As all of us know our furbabies are very much a part of our hearts. :grouphug:

Bearsmom
January 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I think that lady eleven should then be raising a ruckus about ANY dog being allowed in a store. Be it big, small, black, white, purple, or whatever!

Now if they could just do something about people who marinate in perfume....

Katherine1
January 10th, 2005, 08:05 AM
LOL Bearsmom that is so true. Some people seem to take a bath in the stuff.

Dukieboy
January 10th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I live in Toronto and I am pretty sure there are bylaws particularly around stores that handle food. Pets aren't allowed on either side of the counter however any pet store I have gone into seems to be exempt from this bylaw which sort of makes sense.

Lucky Rescue
January 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I know this is off topic, but

OMG, how true! Especially in restaurants. :evil: There should be a "Perfume" and "Non Perfume" section for people who don't care to eat the stinky stuff along with their food!

I'd rather eat with 10 dogs than one person who feels that everyone should wear and breathe her stench. :mad:

And Lady eleven, if other dogs are still allowed in this establishment, and not yours, you certainly have valid reason to complain. However the only outcome may be that no dogs will be allowed.

lilith_rizel
January 10th, 2005, 10:42 AM
We had the some problem with our Dane. He was all black except for a white star on his BIGGEST baby in the world!

Bearsmom
January 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I know this is off topic, but

OMG, how true! Especially in restaurants. :evil: There should be a "Perfume" and "Non Perfume" section for people who don't care to eat the stinky stuff along with their food!

I'd rather eat with 10 dogs than one person who feels that everyone should wear and breathe her stench. :mad:

And Lady eleven, if other dogs are still allowed in this establishment, and not yours, you certainly have valid reason to complain. However the only outcome may be that no dogs will be allowed.

Yes, I'm currently working in a room that's supposedly "airtight" with two women who have MARINATED in their "old lady" perfume. One should definitely not try to light anything on fire, as a grand explosion will occur. I also have screamin red eyes, a headache and sore throat from this. There was a memo circulated about being "scent free", but I guess these two figure it doesn't apply to them. Urg.

Back on topic, I don't think dogs are allowed in food stores, are they?

Katherine1
January 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I don't think they are allowed in food stores as it is a health issue although I have passed some people in grocery stores that I would rather they had been a dog - they would have smelled better LOL. Also some dogs behave way better than some peoples children - and yes I do have children ( 3 ) and sometimes my furbaby is more behaved than they are LOL.

happycats
January 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Lady Eleven
Looking at that pic, If Maggie looks like that, I think she is absolutely
beautiful :queen: ,
If I saw her coming down the street I would want to give her a big hug !!!
She is SOOOOOOO pretty!! :thumbs up

twodogsandacat
January 11th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Lady Eleven
Looking at that pic, If Maggie looks like that, I think she is absolutely
beautiful :queen: ,
If I saw her coming down the street I would want to give her a big hug !!!
She is SOOOOOOO pretty!! :thumbs up

I'm sorry if the post went off track. :sorry:

Stewart
January 11th, 2005, 05:03 AM
I sympathise very much with you Lady Eleven as I have a 4yrs female GSD and she is so well behaved that I can walk anywhere with her off the leash and she follows my every instruction Stop,sit,walk on at road junctions etc also she dosent stray off toward any we other dogs we may pass while out and is anyway friendly and receptive to all other dogs and cats if they will stay and meet her. I do know I am one lucky person and I have strived for this type of behaviour since I got her.Walking my dog is a pure delight and all in the village where I live know and are fond of her.Having said all of that,When we go into town I put her on the leash if its busy and any shops that sell food stuffs etc I wouldnt contemplate takeing her into,However the bank etc in she comes with me and even after a small incedent last autumn with an out of control rug rat she still comes in with me.Only once in the last 4rs have I been told sorry no dogs in here and that was in a sports clothes shop so I put back my intented purchase and left to buy Item elsewhere they had no sign on the shop door saying NO DOGS I pointed out to sales person who asked me take her outside.When we go into the bank or any shop she is on the leash just in case.In your case I would return to the shop and ask why? the situation has changed.I am also spoilt as I can make mine sit stay and she does by the door of any shops that sell food stuffs that I may have to go into.And I've had some folk standing back untill I have come out with purchase to walk on with her lol!You do get strange comments from those who fear dogs about the size thing and I can understand thier fear of dogs but thats thier problem if they have to wait as I was in there first and they wont pass,Ive done nothing wrong bringing my dog to town ! I dont exspect everyone to love dogs as I do but if they dont like them its thier problem not mine.Just this last boxing day I walked her to our local rugby club about 3iles from my home and my family drove there,She spent the entire afternoon in the lounge bar with us laid by the table and chairs where were sat some people who didnt know her came over with kids to ask if they could pet her,and in some cases I got told well I never thought those could be like that. Its just a thing we have to live live with I suppose and as someones already said try to educate folk with predjudices against large dogs. I just keep remindeing myself that our local dog warden told me its Yorkshire Terriers that are the worst ! And smile his words not mine I hasen to add ! I dont mind any dogs. ;) Now as for some oweners lol ! Thats another thread lol ! :evil:

Knegrotto
January 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I am new to the board and not at all knowledgeable about breeds. But whats with the BOXER in your posts? Is there a problem with that breed? I just adopted a rescue from a boxer breeder who also had pitt bulls. Should I worry about her?

Knegrotto
January 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I stay in close touch with our local anaimal shelter and they always have a abundance of large black dogs. But other than a preference for smaller dogs, (not everyone has the room or setup for a large dog), I don't think it is a case of discrimination. In fact, I live in a part of the country where labs are king. I think it has more to do with the fact is that are so many of them. Could it be that those traits (large size and dark color) seem to be dominent just as brown eyes and hair is in people.

And the good news is that my shelter is very successful in adopting these animals out.

mafiaprincess
January 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
If other dogs are allowed in that store and not yours, then sure, go complain, or at least talk it out with the owner.

I'd never presume that my dog was allowed in any store short of a petstore though. Sign or no sign, a lack of a sign doesn't necessarily mean you should take your pet with you.

A lot of places don't have a sign, but it doesn't mean you are welcome to bring them.

joeysmama
January 12th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Aside from pet supply stores I've never assumed that it was alright to take my dog in anywhere. But oddly enough I took him in to the health food store with me this past week. A few weeks ago I had seen a woman in there with her dog and even though it's a grocery store and there are health code issues I figured that if they didn't mind her dog who was walking around then my little fur baby who is still tiny enough to be held would be fine.

I mean, he wasn't going to piddle on the floor if I didn't put him down right?

Well no one seemed to mind and a few of the people who work there were just loving on him.

There was a rather large woman in the aisle who was taking her time and kind of holding me up because she was standing in front of an item I wanted to buy so I had to wait. Well she walked away and I stepped up to take something from the shelf and realized that she had made a stinky. P-U !! :mad:

I was sure someone was going to blame my little dog.

So I agree with whoever said that some of the PEOPLE in the stores are more objectionable than any animals. For one thing my dog is not going to dig around in his nose and then handle the produce.

I do understand though, that there are rules in establishments that sell groceries and prepared food. And I would imagine that many store owners wouldn't want to alienate the customers who are afraid of dogs. I know a darling older lady who has an irrational fear of all dogs. She freezes at the sight of them. Even little Joey who was standing on the front porch with his tail wagging a mile a minute and a big happy doggie grin on his face. He was so obviously not going to hurt anyone and was making friends with all the other seniors who wer walking up the steps.

Well poor Bertha was petrified and actually embarassed about it too. I had to feel sorry for her. But that's not the same as someone who is not afraid of one dog but then is afraid of another.

Prin
January 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I am new to the board and not at all knowledgeable about breeds. But whats with the BOXER in your posts? Is there a problem with that breed? I just adopted a rescue from a boxer breeder who also had pitt bulls. Should I worry about her?
LOL Did you by any chance search for "boxer" to find this thread? When you search for a word, it highlights it in the thread in red...

Shaykeija
January 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Old thread lol
:angel:

Georgiapeaches
January 13th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Honestly, if the worst case is you aren't allowed to bring her in stores, then you're lucky.

I have a few discrimination stories. One is posted on here in the bsl section regarding Petsmart. They were refusing to trim Georgia's nails because she was wearing a muzzle and were not allowed to serve a pitbull due to Ontario's ban. Georgia is extremely well behaved and sat quietly during my frustrating conversations. Turned out the Manager was just dense and had the info wrong. They are allowed to trim pitbulls nails, just not able to groom them. :rolleyes: We now shop elsewhere.

I've had the stares, the crossing the street, the commenta, etc.
Just last week there was an incident at the vets. My fiance was holding Daisy ( 1 1/2 y.o apbt) because her paw was swollen, and he went to sit down while I checked us in. Some woman grabbed her two children and pulled them close to her making a scene. Ummm...Daisy was wearing a muzzle and was pretty content in my fiances lap.

You could have it a tad worse such as, being forced to muzzle her each time you are out in public or else face huge fines/jail time and her end up euth'd.
Sorry, I may not show a lot of empathy because I would give anything for that to be the worst case scenerio regarding my dogs.

Daizy
January 13th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I live in the Beaches in toronto & anyone that knows the area knows it a doggie paradise. With my little 8lb dog in my arms (I always carry her in stores, except dog stores) I have been told she is not allowed, even after forever of it being okay in that store. One of the assisants in Shoppers Drug Mart said that it used to be okay but a customer complained to the authorities that dogs were allowed in and they were fined .. I believe it was either $5,000 or $10,000. That's alot of money for a large company like Shoppers let alone a one man band shop owner. I have to confess even though I understand, I still find it annoying and greatly appreciate those shopkeepers that don't mind.

Rottimom
January 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Where I live you can bring your pets into the Petcetera.... so naturally I go there every chance I get because having a large dog you are soooo limited as to where you can take him. I am always amazed by the positive reactions and compliments I get when they meet Herc "Oh my gosh he is soooooo beautiful..." which is nice but kinda funny, because when I just TELL people that he is part Rotti, this look of fear usually crosses their eyes soon to be replaced by that look that says... "Well I'm sure not ALL of them are flesh eating heathens ..... but I'll keep my distance just in case...."

I am also amazed by the number of children who will approach Herc and I and ask if its ok to pet him.... (I always say to the child "Good for you for asking first... you should ALWAYS ask first") It makes me think that kids are better character judges than most adults... it's like they can sense how nice of a boy he is despite his size...;)