Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vinnie was sick

chico2
January 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Yesterday afternoon Vinnie was not himself,he usually comes running when he hears I am clearing the dishwasher,it means FOOD :D dinner-time for the cats.
Well,yesterday he did not react at all and when he finally came in,he just sniffed his food and walked away.That is not Vinnie,he'll eat his own dish(no matter what it is!)and keep an eye on left-overs from Rocky and Chico.
Yesterday he just went back to sleep,he looked sick.... :sad: I was sooo worried,was ready to go to the Mississauga emergency-vet clinic...but then later on he was normal,ate his food,wanted to play..his regular self and today he's fine :thumbs up
I was thinking of anything unusual he got in to yesterday and he had two halfs of dry-roasted peanuts(he loves peanuts :confused: ),a couple of licks of the gel in canned ham and sniffed the feathers and blood from an unfortunate pigeon taken by a hawk when we were outside....could any of those things have made him sick for a while??? What do you think??

CyberKitten
January 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Wow, I wish I had the answer Chico. I would feel the same as you tho - ready to head to the ER vet on a moment's notice. Perhaps something in one of those things - the pidgeon perhaps had minute amounts of poison or something in him (you know the saying about the canaries and the mines). So it may have just bothered Vinnie for that short period of time and now he's OK? I'd watch him closely (tho I am sure you will do that anyway) and see how he does. When is his next checkup?

chico2
January 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
He was just at the vet last month....I check them all,all the time,even their poop in the litter-boxes..check for bumps or anything like that,this Forum has made me a bit paranoid :D
He is his regular self today,ate with gusto...I have a problem with him wanting to finish all three dishes and he looks awfully hurt when I take them away,but he's gaining weight and I have to watch him..
The pigeon was taken by a huge Hawk,but he left feathers and blood in the snow,flew off to eat the pigeon someplace else,no poison involved.

CyberKitten
January 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
He sounds OK then. Actually, I meant the pigeon may have small amounts of poison in him even though one would not know - pesticides and so forth. You;d be surprised what tox screens show. I have had tiny patients never out of their warm home envionements show traces of pesticides - and we only discovered it because of diagnostic testing for something else. So cats have delicate digestive systems and it could have affacted him.

You may never know.

I was paranoid before and even more now. (When my bunny was sick, I had all my doctor friends testing his bodily fluids and running tests - my vet did not have much expertise in bunnies, sigh) Now , YY sneezes and I am ready to call in a penicllin script, lol (Not seriously - we use too many antibiotics) but you know what I mean!!

Yin Yin has no desire to go outside -thank goodness - (but it's cold out and Siamese hate the cold) and I want her spayed before she goes into heat! I look at her output every day too - call me anal about it but I don't care - :)
I'd rather have a healthy cat!

chico2
January 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Well,my three are little princes don't like their precious paws wet,I take them outside with me when I go to fill up the bird-feeders every day,but they are ready to go back in after 5 min....summer is different,then we stay out many hours,me gardening and going for dipps in the pool,the cats lazing around in the grass.
I stopped using pesticide years ago on my grass or anything else,but my neighbors still use it and they have 3 little kids and Bailey the cocker.

CyberKitten
January 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I was just using pesticides as an example - there are many many substances out there that can cause upset to a cat or small animal or small child. I cannot imagine anyone using pesticides with small children and a dog in their family. Fortunately, I live in a community where pesticide use is banned. That said, these particulates can be carried to my neighbourhood by the wind from the forest nearby and the govt here sprays - not organophsophates which can cause all manner of health problems, not the least of which is Reye's Syndrome (like aspirin which is why one does not give aspirin to children., Actually, one of my partners was and continues to be a key researcher in the area of Reye's - his article published in the Lancet a few decades ago was the Gold Standard and also pressured several govts from banning most organophsophates like fenithrothion. Many provinces still use malathion though. )

Anyway, I don't want to make you any more paranod than you already are. <g> But I do hope Vinnie is fine. Cats can come back from many things - hence the nine lives mthyology. They are stronger than they look.

Karin
January 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I would write down everything that happened while it is still fresh in your mind, just in case of a reoccurence. You never know.

Sounds like a simple case of ADR though. (Ain't Doin' Right) ..a term many Vet Hospital use to describe clients calling and wanting a over the phone diagnosis and when asked..."what is he doing?" ..the reply from the other end is.."Well, he ain't doing right".
So...ADR was born. Had it, got over it, no idea what "it" was.

The older I get, I feel ADR more often.

I try to only sweat the big stuff, we've had our share in this household.

Here's too Vinnie's continued health...*clink*

Sneaky2006
January 9th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I was dreading clicking on this thread... phew! I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious and that he's already back to his normal self.
I am the same way with my cats, always ready to run to the vet. I keep trying to get it through my head that maybe cats have bad days too, just like us. I don't normally pass up a plate of food either, but once in a great while I will... :D :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
January 9th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Maybe Vinnie just has a little upset tummy, just as we sometimes get for no known reason.

Whatever it is, we know Vinnie could'nt be in better hands than yours. :thumbs up

krdahmer
January 10th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Aw...poor Vinnie...glad to hear he is back to normal! I know that when one of these guys has that behaviour, with a quick return to normal, I need to start the fur ball search. They get logey, stick their noses up at food, and even hide a bit... then by later the same day they are back to normal, and I usually find a present for me somewhere hard to reach (and always on the carpet). You may want to take a boo under the beds etc., as I know that was Cordy's favorite place... nothing like waking up to a gagging cat to push those panick buttons!

And it could just be that he had too much variety that day... something didn't mix well in his tummy. I know that those would upset mine!!! :yuck: ;)

sammiec
January 10th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Chico I am so glad that Vinnie's feeling better!!! And Lucky's right, he's in the best of hands! ;)

chico2
January 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Thank's guys,he's still ok..no fur-balls that I can see :D
Maybe peanuts(2 halves) is not the best for kitties,but when he drools and begs with those odd-eyes of his,he is hard to say no to...I guess he probably just had an off few hours.He's soo different from Chico and Rocky,he'll eat anything that's chewable and some things that are not :evil:
Karin,at 61 I suffer from ADR BIG time :D but can still laugh about it,good sign,eh :confused: