Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

taking in Ruffus.....

lilith_rizel
January 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Well, James and I visited some friends of ours yesterday. And we found out that they have to give up their dogs because Todd has to go to Korea, and Andrea is moving in with her sister, and her sister doesn't want the dogs there. Some one in Todd's family said that they would take Beau, but everyone says that Ruffus is too hyper! Ruffus is 5 years old, and lays around all day!!! Todd really loves that dog, and wouldn't be able to stnad giving him up. James and I have decided that if Todd can't find someone in his family to take him in, that we weill take care of Ruffus until Todd is back home. I couldn't just sit there and watch Todd lose his favorite dog. It would be too heart breaking. Now the thing is having to give him back after we have had him for over a year.

CyberKitten
January 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Can you really take in another dog with a new baby? It sounds like a lot of stress at a busy time in your life. You still have to get Cano adjusted to a new baby. Is there no other alternative for this pooch? I am not syaing don't do it , just that you need to think about it with a new baby who has some needs of her own - and I know from experience that things can get pretty crazy in that situation.

lilith_rizel
January 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM
It's not going to be happening for a few months yet. Todd doesn't leave until atleast April, so there will be plenty of time for Cano to adjust to the baby. Plus Andrea and I would take Ruffus and Cano for walks together, so having them being used to seeing each other wouldn't be too much of a problem. Todd and Andrea also have a baby, so Ruffus is used to that idea as well. I think the only thing would be getting Ruffus used to the idea of depending on us. But he's very social, and loves it when we visit. Ruffus is the type of dog who will greet you and then go lay down in a corner and go to sleep. Todd said that he was gone for 8 hours one day, and when he came home, Ruffus was in the exact same sleepings place that he was when he left, and that he hadn't moved at all. We will take him in IF he can't find someone else to. Plus James thinks that with Cano having a buddy in the house, that he may not try and get all the attention and won't be as jealous, and that Ruffus may actually "teach" him how to be gentle and stay calm when the baby is around.

glasslass
January 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Another positive thought is that the two dogs may play together and use up lots of energy so that they can be calmer around the baby.

chico2
January 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Lilith,if you can handle two dogs,I'd say go for it!! It might be the best thing for Cano,if the two dogs get along and know each other..and by April,you'll probably be used to being a new mom,it is a little scary with your first baby in the beginning,but I am sure you'll be a wonderful mom both to the doggies and little Judith :thumbs up

BMDLuver
January 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM
about this decision. If I remember correctly from one of your posts, your sweet little girl is going to need additional surgeries? This is going to put a strain on both of you and adding a second dog to the mix just might be more than you will be able to cope with. Perhaps you should wait until she comes home from the hospital, you have a routine in place and cope with all around you before you decide to add another dog. I'm not saying you can't do this but that having the baby home 24/7 with one dog and health restrictions is going to be tough enough, two dogs may be too much. (Hope this hasn't offended you)

Copper'sMom
January 9th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I think it will be good for Cano!! He won't feel left out because of the new baby because now he will have his own buddy to hang out with. What if you had 5 other children at home already. Would you give them away because your new baby needs extra care and medical procedures?? I think not! When you are away, at least Cano won't be alone. He'll have a playmate and will probably be less demanding on you!

Good Luck!!

DogueLover
January 9th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I can relate to having a baby in the NICU and I can tell you that bringing her home will definately be different........... and I mean different than bringing home a full term healthy baby.

I don`t think taking in this dog would be a bad thing though, it would be good for Cano as he would not feel left out and he would probably learn from this dog that has had the experience of having a baby in the house.

You did mention that you are moving to a new house because of the mold and lead paint issue if I remember correctly. I am just wondering if there are any medical reasons why you might not want to add the dog to the family when you are bringing home a fragile little one. We had dogs when we brought our daughter home from the NICU ( she was 8 weeks premature and spent 2 months in the NICU) she only weighed 4 lbs 8 oz when we brought her home!
Check with the staff at the hospital as they may have some ideas as to what to do about the dog(s) in the house around the baby. Sometimes with a baby that has spent time in the NICU there are concerns about their lungs, immune system and even though they can be very concerned about germs they do know what they are talking about.
I think that it would be a really good idea for Cano, but I would check it all out with the medical staff concerning Judith as they will be able to give you the best advice as to what type of enviroment she is going to need to maintain the best level of health.

We just kept the dogs out of our daughter`s room and kept her door closed so that she was never in any "danger" of getting whatever bacteria the dogs may bring in. Just one other thing........... the last thing you want is for Judith to end up back in the NICU or Hospital ........... I know that after having a baby in there for 2 months I was never so happy to leave with her and keep her home in my life!

Just my thoughts.................

lilith_rizel
January 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Well, I was actually thinking about talking to the doctors about pets. I don't think it will be a problem really. But you'd never know...... As far as seeing how things go with Cano after Judith comes home, before we add in Ruffus..... Judith is leaving the hospital on Wed. and should be home shortly after. The new houses are 4 or 5 bedrooms, so there will be plenty of room for us all, and there will be certain rooms Cano and Ruffus wouldn't be allowed in, obviously. And I have noticed that when Cano is around other dogs, he does play rough, but once they are done, they just lay there. I'd imagine that if he had a buddy around all the time, that Cano would be calm alot of the time. And like I said, it will be a few months before Todd leaves, and by that time, he may have found someone to take care of him while he is gone. We will take him in, if there is no other option, for Ruffus.