Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seperation Anxiety - Vomit,,,HELP!

mjaramillo
January 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hi!

I have a standard daschund Toby. He is very very attached to all the people in the household. But, we have gone through a big transition recently. My brother moved out on New Years and six days later my father (his primary caretaker who is usually home all day with him) left on an extended trip. I no longer live in the household but was visiting that same week and left the day before my father left. The only person left in the house is my mom who works full time. The day my father left Toby went poo in the living room and started to vomit. He has vomitted once every day since then. Most of the time a clear saliva like substance. We have an appointment with the vet set for next week. But, what to do in the mean time? We are pretty sure that this is seperation anxiety. How do we make it easier for him? Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed....Please!!!!!
Thank you
Michelle

Lucky Rescue
January 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM
It sounds like Toby is extremely stressed by all the big upheavals in his world and at finding himself alone.

Most dogs don't like being alone, since they are pack animals and being alone in the wild would mean not surviving.

Maybe you could try gating Toby in one area of the house until he settles down and have a radio, tape or TV playing?

The vet may prescribe a medication to help him get through this transition period and ease his anxiety until he becomes accustomed to his new schedule.
Anxiety (http://www.sancarlosvet.com/AskTheDoc/Clomicalm.html)

CyberKitten
January 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I have always understood the best treatment for seperation anxiety is preventative. Allow the animal to become accustomed to being alone for extended periods of time - not an all at once scenario.

After the fact, you are probably looking at anti-anxiety medications until he becomes used to it. Or taking him to a petsitter or doggie daycare where he will be with other dogs and his mind off the fact he is alone.

vcheng79
January 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM
my younger cat Sabrina had exactly the same problem. She is extremely attach to me. She follows me around, and always sleeps right next to me (I am a late sleeper and she won't go to the bedroom until I go in). I went back to Vancouver to visist friends for about 2 1/2 weeks and asked my brother and sister to take care of my cats for me. When I came back the day before yesterday, i found some clear vomit in the house; however, she no longer vomit anymore (at least until now). I will wait for a few more days and see, but i didn't know animals vomit when they are stressed....