Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Free Dog in Paper---Should I call someone??!!

lil_kirk
January 9th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I found this ad in the paper today:

WEIMARANER 7 yrs old, neutered male, gentle disp. needs lots of love & exercise. Free to good home. 841-2401.

Should we call someone? A resuce??? I don't want him to be taken to a testing facility!

BMDLuver
January 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
a Canadian option, particuliarly Ontario but only found a rescue CT based. Maybe they can help? or know of a contact up this way....
http://www.geocities.com/nutmegweimclub/rescue.htm

These dogs do not relocate well... so free to good home will end with him in a shelter if he doesn't work out for the family... oh dear

LL1
January 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
You could try Weim Assoc of Canada rescue - they have an Ontario contact listed:

http://www.weimaranercanada.org/rescue/index.htm

Ontario rep: Liette Fadden
onrescue@weimaranercanada.org

lil_kirk
January 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the links. I emailed the woman for Ontario. I received an automatic response which mentioned that their inboxes have been crashing..so I hope they get it and can help.

I don't think they'd give him to me to take him to a rescue--I guess we can't save them all...

LL1
January 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
If I took in the dog I wouldn't tell them what I was planning to do with the dog.

Hope Weim rescue can help, unlike most rescues their website said they always have more applicants than dogs available, which is wonderful! Here's hoping they have someone in the area to assess the dog and some pre approved good homes!

lil_kirk
January 9th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Karin
January 9th, 2005, 07:32 PM
The newspapers in the US loaded with free animal ads.

My biggest peeve on free animals are the ignorant people that load a grocery cart with a litter of kittens, or puppies or both and trot their kids down to the nearest supermarket and sit outside, letting their cute kids peddle the poor animals to the shoppers.

I stop and look. I usually get a little ticked while reciting the animal welfare miranda...what really gets me going off on them is how they are teaching their kids how to be irresponsible! By the time I leave the store they are either gone or the cops are there. Good thing I know everyone in the department in that town. Come spring ,(and new litters)..I may be calling someone for bail money.

lil_kirk
January 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Wow--they never do that here. Maybe it's the irregular weather...It sort of seems like a story from the movies...unfortunatley it's real life..

BMDLuver
January 9th, 2005, 08:25 PM
we used to see it very often at Dorval Gardens shopping center. Some poor litter of puppies or kittens being handed out by kids.

lil_kirk
January 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Goodness....that's terrible. They sell them like they're lemonade...

sammiec
January 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Last fall there was a van parked across the street from the Tim Hortons' with a man selling jack russel puppies out of the back. This was downtown Brampton!!! There was a huge crowd of people around them! :mad: