Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hard time with stray cat

Sneaky2006
January 9th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Well the good news is that she let me touch her tonight and she even rubbed her head on my hand in between munches on canned cat food. I think the last time I posted all I would do is unlock the door and she'd run away, so this is way big improvement. I've been thinking of what will happen to her when we catch her and take her to the HS. I don't know if I can take her there and not know her fate... People may see her as a freak cat cause she has no tail and I don't want her to be dumped or tortured again (thinking this is why she has no tail to begin with).
Hubby said there is no way we can take her... we had Yukon in for shots and he'll need another batch in a few weeks and then he's gonna be neutered, so funds to get this kitty healthy and fixed (if need be) and fed and litter, and, and, and... can't happen for a while.
I don't know what to do... this kitty has had me in tears so many times already, it is so cold out and I feel helpless. Another thing she did tonight was talk to me, something she hasn't done before either. Every time I would say something to her, she'd reply with a meow or a moan. After she ate she would go further away from me, but still close... so I'd move when she did, it seemed like she was taking me somewhere, when I would stop she'd lay down and talk. She comes out from under the shed and I am just dreading the fact that she may have babies under there. I'm hoping it's just her hiding place, somewhere warmer, away from the wind.
Does anyone know what I should do?

badger
January 9th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Your story is so familiar, heartbreaking. But you're doing fine. Make sure the cat gets lots of calories. Are you sure it's a female? In my experience, most strays are males, they seem to be tougher. I would try to line up a rescue, if there is one in your area, so that when you finally get the cat inside, there will be resources available and your husband won't freak (then again, he may come around :)) Maybe a friend? I don't know what your financial situation is but, barring a major illness or injury, taking in a cat is not necesssarily a huge financial burden. Good luck, you are this cat's angel.

Carina
January 9th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Check out the Rubbermaid Rocks thread for cheap cat shelter ideas!
I think she's doing OK....if she has a warm, dry place to go, and food. I hope she doesn't have kittens under the shed. Would hubby be OK with you just putting food out for her & making sure she can be warm outside? That's hardly going to cost a lot of money....you could call cat rescue people and find out who they use as a vet for cheap spays.

If you take her to the HS, she'll probably have a better chance of being adopted with no tail - lots of people are charmed by physical oddities like that. Check with your HS for their policy on feral cats first, though. Some automatically kill ferals, or cats too shy/aggressive to be easily adopted. Unfortunately, the HS here does that. :(

I vote for keeping her fed and as safe as you can, for now.

badger
January 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM
It's impossible to know how a stray will respond to being inside. I've had pretty angry cats who settled right down with love and care, rediscovered their inner 'house cat', which many of them were, before getting dumped or lost. IMO a feral would not behave as this cat is behaving, even if it is hungry. I fed a small group of ferals in Ottawa for about four years and was never able to get more than a few feet from them. So this kitty is most likely a stray and will probably be a good candidate for adoption once she has gotten over her good fortune.

Lucky Rescue
January 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Some automatically kill ferals, or cats too shy/aggressive to be easily adopted.

Around here, any animal that is not perfect is killed. I know of no shelter that will keep feral cats. They do very poorly there and cannot be adopted. This cat may just have been outside for a long time and become shy.

This cat may be a Manx and that's why she has no tail. Many people like that- our Manx cats always got adopted quickly.

You must see if there is a litter under the shed. If there is and you do nothing they will most likely die by freezing. If this cat is a female, it could very well be pregnant again.

If you can't bring this cat in, at the least it needs to be neutered and checked out. You can then put a styrofoam cooler - the large ones - outside. Glue the top to the bottom, cut a hole at one end and put a brick or rock on top. This will be a warm shelter.

CyberKitten
January 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Is there no way you can get a humane trap (Tomahawk makes some) and trap her and bring her in? I do know there is the husband problem but I bet he'd fall in love with her too. You need to trap her at least to get her to a vet and have her neutered - if the cat is female. And do look under to see if she has a litter of kittens. It's way too cold for those little ones!!

Keep up the good work!

Sneaky2006
January 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I am on a list for a trap, but I plan on calling again because I don't trust those automated thingies.
I don't see the hubby changing his mind about this one, because of Christmas our money situation is not great at all and to top it off our car died Christmas Day (great gift huh?). After spending a few hundred on it we come to find out that the problem is way worse and not worth fixing. So we had to buy a new car two days after xmas with a car payment more than double of what we had before, but that's a whole other rant :(
So needless to say our budget is rather limited.

I believe it's a female only because I don't see anything hangin, unless it's a neutered male.

Is there other characteristics of a Manx cat, other than the tail?

I looked under the shed and didn't see anything, but it's pretty big so I still don't know for sure.

krdahmer
January 9th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Aw... Sneaky I'm so impressed that you got her to get close to you. I've been feeding these guys for over a year now and they still run if I make any sudden moves. That makes me think that she is new to the homeless population. And I have to tell you that here as well the "feral" cats are pretty much given a death sentence when you drop them off. Lost cats however are kept for quite a long period of time and then put up for adoption. So, if you do take her to the HS, just make sure to let them know that she is very friendly, just a little shy with new people. (Most cats are like that with strangers.) That way at least she may get a few weeks or so to find a new home.
And ya the Rubbermaid thing I made is working great... so maybe give that a try, this way she can be sheltered until you get a bit of extra cash (I know it's scarce around here too....especially this time of year! And I got the same diagnosis for my car, so I'm just gonna run it till it stops :sad: then we'll have to get a new one. So not lookin forward to that bill!) And is it just me or does anyone else here get an emotional attachment to their car?? The last two I had to sell I cried... and before that I cried when my dad sold his too! :rolleyes:

Bless you Sneaky :angel: for your big heart! I'm sure that little kitty will appreciate anything you can afford to give her... even if it's just some love and good eats! :love: :grouphug:

Sneaky2006
January 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
What's really sad is the car is a 2001 and already dead :( I wish we had more time and even though it needed work, maybe we could still drive it, but the main problem made 6 others including no steering, always over heating and no heat. This car was a sunfire, our second one, we liked them even though they're kinda small because they're efficient and not badly priced. I guess you actually do get what ya pay for.

She may be new to being homeless but she's so thin :( It probably doesn't take long for a kitty to become thin, she must have other issues cause she's been eating here almost everyday. She's so cute though, her butt wiggles when she walks cause of the no tail thing, I think it's adorable. :love: I'll ask hubby about getting her a house, but for now I'm going to unlock the shed and turn on one of those lights for outside, they get pretty hot.

Thanks for the replies :)

chico2
January 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Sneaky thank's for caring for this poor little girl,if she lives under your shed,would Yukon not have sniffed out any kittens?? Or does he not go in your yard?
I hope there is no kittens :sad:
There used to be a little black/white cat around here with no tail,just a little stump,like a rabbit and he was so cute....unfortunately the owners let him out on his own and he got hit by a car :evil:
I would think if she has babies,her teats would be hanging a bit and if she is pregnant you'll soon notice,I am sure..
I agree with the others,she's probably not feral,I fed George my feral breakfast and dinner guest for 3yrs without him letting me get close.
She could of course also be sick and will not get better without care and a warm place to sleep :sad:

Sneaky2006
January 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Where the shed is, he normally doesn't go and like I said it's big, so if he did sniff there he can only access the front of it, he can't get to the sides or back.

Sneaky2006
January 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I caught her myself!
She was being so lovey outside tonight, she kept rolling on her side for me to rub her belly, she would even stand on her hind legs to reach me so I could pet her more. So I went in the house and got a cat carrier and took it out and set it next to her and sat down on the lawn chair and played with her like I did earlier, when she wasn't paying attention I scooped her up and put her in! She's still in there, I don't want her to get more upset, I think she's pretty angry.... she won't stop meowing. I put the carrier right next to the heating vent, no more cold nights for her! :D

Bugsy
January 9th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Way to go Sneaky :thumbs up

krdahmer
January 10th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Wooo...livin up to your name there Sneaky! ;) And maybe all that meowin is just her thank you's!! I know when I caught momma in the fall and brought her in for the day she went bananas... so next time I'm gonna make sure I am more prepared. From what you've been sharing with us though...that little kitty sounds like a real gem, and you never know, she could be a runaway that got to far from her home to find her way back. With the no tail thing she'd be unique and easy to identify if anyone was looking for her.

A toast to her having a toasty place to sleep for the time being! :thumbs up :party:

Sneaky2006
January 10th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Thank you thank you!!!!
I let her out of the crate shortly after I posted the last time. She curled up on my foot almost right away. She was even all over my hubby when he came home. She purrs a lot and will talk if you talk to her.
I didn't hear a peep out of her all night but when I got up with my son this morning she was yapping up a storm and didn't stop till I came in and said hi... now she's sleeping between my feet as I type! She's so sweet! I am so happy!!!! :D

krdahmer
January 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Oh thats so wonderful... sounds like she is really happy that you took her in! I just love a cat that talks back... my Smoke is real big on conversations, especially when we get up on the bed with the brush... she rolls around and meows and chirps like crazy.

Way to go Sneaky! Big hug from me to you! :grouphug: :D

lilith_rizel
January 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
What did hubby say about her being in the house??? Is he going to let you keep her?? I mean, even if you just keep her fed and everything, maybe next month will be better financially.

CyberKitten
January 10th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Way to go Sneaky!! ^5!! It sounds like she may be a lost pet after all - to be so friendly - though heaven knows many ferals begin life as "someone's pet". Congratulations on all your hard work!!

chico2
January 10th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Good job Sneaky,can you see if she might have had kittens,I've never had a female cat with kittens,so I don't know :confused: but if she's not eager to get out,I think she might not have any out there.
How are the others reacting,does that give you 5 cats???Or am I misstaken??
and beautiful Yukon?
Still,you did a wonderful thing,lucky kitty :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
January 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys!
Her body does not look like she had babies, and with her being declawed, she may have been spayed too... and we've been looking under the shed where I think she was living and didn't see anything.
And yes this makes 5 but we can't keep her :( She's in a room by herself... the other animals haven't seen her and I don't think I want them to. :)
Money is tight already and I don't want to make things worse with another mouth to feed... although we're feeding her now, we will until I can find a good home for her. :)

chico2
January 10th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Sneaky,it might not be that difficult to find her a home,since the poor cat is declawed too....did you check HS to see if someone reported her missing??

Sneaky2006
January 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Not yet, but I've called the cat rescue here in my town and no one has reported her there, and I've looked on petfinder lost pets section and found nothing... I'll be calling the HS today.

Right now I'm trying to download software to resize pics... I took some of her but they're way too big and I lost my software :(