Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rainbow the Lovebird

goldenblaze
January 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
This is our Lovebird Rainbow, she is 4 yrs old and was raised by my sister until last month she moved with our family. Rainbow is a sweet bird, glad we have her. :) Jordie loves her and must touch her when she comes out of her cage, she kisses his body too... how cute.

goldenblaze
January 8th, 2005, 05:35 PM
More Rainbow :)

goldenblaze
January 8th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Yes we have other birds too....meet Missy and Brodie. All three birds enjoy talking to each other. :)

Sqwuakhouse
January 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
They are just adorable! Budgies & lovebirds are the only ones I don't have! Great pics! :thumbs up

goldenblaze
January 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks, we think they are all pretty cute too. You have birds so maybe you can tell me... how often do lovebirds have eggs? Rainbow is in a cage alone and last night I found an egg, my eyes popped as I have heard of many problems with them having eggs. I do not wish to bred her and would like for her not to have eggs. My sister gave her to me as she was getting to many Lovebirds 10 birds I believe. All of my family is animals lovers yes including birds. Any info would help alot, thank for anything you can tell me.
:)

Sqwuakhouse
January 11th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Lovebirds or any female bird for that matter will lay eggs regardless if there is a male around or not. Unfortunately you will not be able to stop this. I do recommend though that you make sure you give calcium in her diet. I keep all my eggshells, wash and let them dry out and then I run it through the food processor. I feed this to the birds. It is a great source of calcium for them. If there is enough calcium in thier diet it will keep them from getting eggbound. As long as you do this, she will be just fine. I have found that it does not matter if you have a nest for them or not. When they are mature, they will lay eggs. It is just nature. Don't worry to much about it. They usually lay an egg every second day until there clutch is laid. Usually about 3 - 5 eggs. Hope this helps.

badger
January 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
So, absent a mate, are they edible? How about a teeny tiny omelette.

Sqwuakhouse
January 11th, 2005, 02:23 PM
You can eat them if you want. I guess that would be considered a Barbie Breakfast? I don't know how tastey it would be. For my finches, I take thier eggs that are duds and boil them up and then smash em up and feed it right back to them. Excellent source of calcium and protien for them and they just love it. Kinda makes you feel sick how birds can sort of eat thier own!

goldenblaze
January 11th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Sqwuakhouse thank you so much, you are right. I went to the pet store today to talk more with the owner I know him well and he told the same thing you wrote... :) Rainbow had an egg on Sunday and again today when I was getting up. I am aware she must have calcium and a good seed with all needed and I do give fruits and veggies. She loves apples like there is no tomorrow. You really did help alot and again i do thank you but I have one more question, I am not sure what I was told today as we walked about so many different things. My question... after she has this batch of eggs when does it all start again? Rainbow has had no problems having both eggs but there was a very small bit of blood and I was told this is normal with all eggs... :confused: I do know she is not eggbound ( so worried about that ) my other birds have never had an eggs.. I want pets not breeding. Rainbow sure has all of our attention I'm sure she is happy. :D

Sqwuakhouse
January 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
That one I don't have an answer to. It all depends on the bird as they are all different. Some will not lay again for a few months and others will lay only days to a couple of weeks after thier last clutch. A friend of mine breeds lovebirds and she has one female that will lay all the time and one that has only ever laid one clutch. You just have to kind of go with the flow. As long as she is healthy there is nothing to worry about. Keeping away any type of stimulants (like nests, paper, shavings, etc...) sometimes helps but not always. It helps also for some birds if you cut back the amount of fruit you give them. Instead of everyday you could try every second day. Keep veggies the same. Some birds view a constant fruit supply as a breeding stimulant. I have to do this with Doc, our male macaw. Just remember: NO AVACADOS!!! Very toxic to birds.

goldenblaze
January 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Sqwuakhouse, Again thanks for your help.... I was told to cut down on her light hours and to take any mirrors out of her sight and that might help stop her from having eggs too. She loves her mirror and I feel bad if i were to take it away, she also has two others birds beside her on the stand she likes them too. If things go as I'm told tomorrow she will have an egg, so lets wait and see. The only thing worried me was her getting eggbound but she does have all she needes to she is in great health, should be no problems. Tell me please now that she has had two eggs with no problem that does mean she will be ok with others and I right?

Sqwuakhouse
January 13th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Hi GoldenBlaze,

Rainbow shouldn't have any problems at all. As far as her mirror goes, you don't need to take it away. If you take her mirror away she will just find something else to stimulate herself. Besides, we don't know for sure if it is her mirror that is making her lay. It could be a whole bunch of different things. You can't take everything away from her, right? So I would leave the mirror. I think if they are going to lay it will happen no matter what. Just enjoy her as the little cutie that she is. :thumbs up

Rainy
January 13th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Sqwuakhouse I would love to see some pics of your feathered friends if you have any available!

goldenblaze
January 14th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Hi GoldenBlaze,

Rainbow shouldn't have any problems at all. As far as her mirror goes, you don't need to take it away. If you take her mirror away she will just find something else to stimulate herself. Besides, we don't know for sure if it is her mirror that is making her lay. It could be a whole bunch of different things. You can't take everything away from her, right? So I would leave the mirror. I think if they are going to lay it will happen no matter what. Just enjoy her as the little cutie that she is. :thumbs up

Rainbow is setting in front of her mirror and loving every second of it ;) 3 eggs so far and if she is to have more it will be 4 in the morning... she is doing great with the eggs but not happy when Marty removes them from her cage... I won't she bites to hard :confused:
My sister who gave me Rainbow is coming down from kingston on Monday to visit her and bring her favorite treat Avicake and I can't buy them in Brockville, no pet store or any other store in this town sells Avicake... how sad.
I will keep you posted but Rainbow is great, we do very much enjoy her, she is a sweetheart. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Dakota - my Mollucan Cockatoo doing what she does best:

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Doc - My Blue & Gold Macaw

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Ricco is our Yellow-Naped Amazon

goldenblaze
January 14th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Can't post one new photo without posting other birds too, even birds feel jealous. ;) Brodie the blue male and Missie the yellow, green female

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Rocco is our African Gray and a big clown at that!

goldenblaze
January 14th, 2005, 08:41 PM
These 4 birds are beautiful! Wow the feathers are so bright on each bird, very nice colours. :) I see your hands are full too. I sure was lucky when you read my post. From looking at your birds I'm sure thanksful for your advise, you sure know your birds. :) love the toys you have for them.

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks! I think they are beautiful too! I just wanted to tell you also, don't take the eggs away until Rainbow has finished laying her clutch. For some birds, if you take the eggs away too soon they will replace with another egg which in turn makes egg laying period longer. Once she has stopped laying then you can remove all the eggs. I usually take the eggs away about a week after the last egg is laid. Have a great weekend!

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 09:08 PM
this is the parrot play area that separates the living room & dinning room. Well, actually also invades part of the living room too. LOL!

Sqwuakhouse
January 14th, 2005, 11:19 PM
This is birds #5 & 6. This is a bonded pair of Blue & Gold Macaws. Our male, Buddy, is on the left and Cheyenne is on the right. Cheyenne is our first rescue. She had a very abusive past including having her wing and toe broken with no medical attention. She will never fly again. At least she is very happy and healthy now. They live in our family room in a custom built cage. Thier cage is 8ft long x 7ft high and 5ft deep. Buddy is bigger than our Doc. He is the biggest B&G Macaw I have ever seen. He is almost 37 inches from head to tail. He has a very large bone structure for a B&G.

goldenblaze
January 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks! I think they are beautiful too! I just wanted to tell you also, don't take the eggs away until Rainbow has finished laying her clutch. For some birds, if you take the eggs away too soon they will replace with another egg which in turn makes egg laying period longer. Once she has stopped laying then you can remove all the eggs. I usually take the eggs away about a week after the last egg is laid. Have a great weekend!

I wanted to say wow your birds really are something, beautiful and lucky to have you. It really make me think about people hurting any animal but a poor helpless bird.
Rainbow is one of 10 Lovebirds my sister had at her home... some where born with her and some were like you a rescue.
My sister and I talked on the phone more about Rainbow, she is coming Monday for a visit she lives one hour away from me. Rainbow was not born at my sister's like I first thought.. sorry Rainbow was one of 4 that came from one home where the people we not looking after the family of birds. Mom,Dad,Sonand 2 Sisters. My brother has the brother and Dad, they are fine in the same cage the sister had a bad wing and can't fly must. Mango is her name and she now lives with one of our other sister's ( 5 grils in my family 1 boy) Rainbow needs to be in her own cage as she does not get along well with other birds in her cage.
I wanted to thanks you for telling me about the eggs... my sister didn't tell me that and I have been taking them away thinking I was doing the right thing. She is due for one in the morning so I will leave it in with her. It will be hard to feed and water as she really wants nothing around when she is setting on her egg. Kind of sad but I hope she is done soon. :) .