Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! We're having a visitor!

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
We have family on their way here from Nfld TONIGHT and they are bringing their dog (male 4 yr. old lab). They tell me he is friendly, and so is Herc (male 2 yr. old rotti/shep) I am excited but I am nervous!!! Both dogs are neutered, but both can be agressive to other dogs if there is food/toys/bones around. I plan to remove all of these triggers but is there anything else I can do to make this play date as friendly as possible??? They will be here for a day or 2 or 3.....

Please say a prayer for my glass tables.... YIKES... :eek:

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
when they arrive, take them out for a walk together before the new dog comes in the house, then when you return a play in the back yard, then both go into the house together as if they both belong there. Works here when introducing a new foster dog.

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
:thumbs up Will Do!!!

Carina
January 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM
So how is it going? :)

Don't leave them together unsupervised, and watch body language....hopefully all is going well and they are having a blast together.

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Well they are not here yet. They might not arrive until 9 or 10 tonight. I will be sure to post later!

Rottimom
January 9th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Well I am thrilled to report that Herc and Sandy have gotten along wonderfully all evening! Herc even let Sandy sleep on his bed, and although I hid all his toys, he did find his squeaky ball, and allowed Sandy to play with it too! Both dogs made it clear to each other that they wouldn't tolerate any mounting (lol) and since then its been wonderful! They will both sleep GREAT tonight. :thumbs up

BMDLuver
January 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
So glad the playdate is going well!