Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pit Bull Allergies

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
My brother in law has a red-nose pitter, approx, 1 year old. He seems to have developed allergies. He switched to hypo-allergenic food (duck and potato) months ago. His dog gets "welts" and has to be bathed every 2 or 3 days. He has talked about taking him for allergy testing, but I'm not sure if he will. I've given him my opinion, I think the allergy test will definitely be worth the money it costs to find a solution to this. He thinks maybe it's his plants (not sure what kind, they are big tall leafy plants, tropical I think)

I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions I could make for him. He is getting very frustrated with his dog suffering, as well as the cost of everything (special diet, pills, allergy test etc.)

Sorry to ask yet another question. So many knowledgable people on here. Maybe someone has experienced something similar?

Lucky Rescue
January 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
So has the dog had any allergy tests at all?

Those big leafy plants you mention sound like Deiffenbachia, or "Dumb Cane" and they only cause a reaction if the dog chews the leaves or stems, and the irritation is only to mouth and throat.

If the source of the allergies can't be pinpointed, he might want to try feeding the dog a raw diet. Here's an article to get him started.
Raw diet for dogs (http://p205.ezboard.com/fdogcommunityfrm27.showMessage?topicID=13.topic)

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 07:04 PM
made by Purina for veterinary use, called reduced Antigen. We have a choc lab that gets welts that turn into oozing and he was put on this diet and now does 100% better, no more costly than duck n potato diet.

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Great, I will pass these suggestions on to him. The big leafy plants, he does not chew or eat them, just sometimes his back rubs up against them. No he has not gone for allergy testing yet, just many visits to the vet.

Thank you both.