Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tennis ball fluff

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Question: My boss told me that she was advised by her vet to NOT give dogs tennis balls because apparently the fluff can get wrapped around their intestines. Any thoughts on this?

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Tennis Balls are one of our dogs favorite destruction toys. He's destroyed several of them and has never had a problem. Now I'm going to ask our vet when I see him.

mona_b
January 8th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I have heard about that happenening.My dogs just played with them,never ripped them apart.But I think you should be a bit leary when it comes to tennis balls.

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I know BMD! We have always given Herc tennis balls and he loves to "de-fuzz" them. When she told me this I almost freaked. We haven't had a problem either, he always spits out the fluff but this made me nervous.

Bugsy
January 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Now I'm confused. I never give my dogs tennis balls (to small) but I've bought all of the Air Dog line of toys (same material as tennis balls but bigger & in different shapes). I figured if they are made for dogs they must be safe :confused:

Air Dogs Toys http://www.dog-training.com/kongairdog.htm

Karin
January 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Never seen it in all my years. Even with dogs that destroy the ball, the reminants become simply no fun anymore. Maybe it's just another hype or rumor...we could put all of our pet's in a sterile, glass house and we will still be alarmed. With some warnings asking others, like you have here goes along way. At some point we have to draw a line in the sand ...so to speak.
My opinion.

twinmommy
January 8th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I actually have "tennis-bones" for Jake, bought them at a great pet supply store in Kirkland, so I'd be curious too.....

CyberKitten
January 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM
The scientist in me is skeptical of anectodes but the dogs I grew up with and had later as an adult (and that my family has) all play with tennis balls and the ones who played with tennis balls who are now gone on to Rainbow Ridge never seemed to ever acquire any problems due to the fluff from the balls. I agree about drawing the line in the sand. We used to wash the balls of course but I'll be interested to see what the vet says. In that case, what about all the little fuzzies from towels they pick up (My poodle loved to play tag with a towel for some reason).

Shaykeija
January 8th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I used to give Missie tennis balls. The fuzz never hurt her BUT the glue that is in them sure made her barf. Scare the bejesus out of me. I thought that I had poisioned her. So no more tennis balls for her. She gets big teddy bears now. I get her the gund ones because if they are safe for a human baby to chew on the are safe for my fur baby. :p