Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how often to breed?

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I have read many books and many web sites about breeding but i cant find any info on how often to bred? how many times should or can you bred your dog...every heat? every second heat? i just havent found any info on this, just what day to bred on.... if anyone has any info it would be greatly apprieciated! THANX

Bugsy
January 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Here's a link..... http://wonderpuppy.net/ckci/

LR :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
January 8th, 2005, 01:41 PM
First you need to have your dog tested for any and all genetic defects common to the breed. This can be expensive. Then, if she clears all the tests, you need to start showing her to see if she is breeding quality (most dogs aren't). Talk to the other show-dog owners at shows (this will also be expensive since you will have to travel to show your dog, or hire someone to do it for you) and learn everything you can.

You must study bloodlines, pedigrees and genetics while you are showing your dog. You shouldn't breed her until she is at least 2, so this will give you plenty of time to travel, study, and show! When your dog attains her championship, THEN you start thinking about breeding her.

You must then find a stud who is also a champion and whose genetics and bloodlines are what you are looking for AND whose owner agrees with the mating. This dog may be across the country, so you will either have to ship your dog there to be bred, or pay to have the stud or frozen semen shipped to you.

You will also have to pay a stud fee,(for a champion stud this could be very high) or offer pick of the litter as payment. Since you may get only two puppies you could end up with only one.

Even so, you must have a list of pre-approved homes for puppies before the breeding even takes place. You must offer health guarantees, and will be responsible for any puppy that has any genetic defect, or whose owner decides they don't want the dog anymore.

IF your dog has trouble whelping, you could lose the litter. She may need a C-section ($$$) to deliver as well, since this is not uncommon with small breeds. It's also not uncommon for a first time mother to be unable to feed her litter, or to refuse to care for them. You will need to handfeed them around the clock if this occurs.

Here is more info on this subject.:)
Things to think about before you breed (http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeding.html)

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Thanx for the responses, but all of that i know already, i just cant seem to find any info on how often to bred, they cant be ready to bred the heat after a litter right? i think it is too soon but i cant find any info on how often you can bred. if anyone knows that would be great, thanx again for the responses...:)

lil_kirk
January 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM
After you've shown her at competitions you'll get a better idea---other champ dog owners will know the process on breeding and be able to help you.

Do you plan on showing your dog this year?

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM
No i havent ever shown a dog i have 2 shih tzu's, but the question i posted is for my sisters dog she had a litter in the summer and she plans on breeding again next heat...i was just wondering if that was safe or not

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 04:36 PM
lol@bugsy i checked out that link.... i hope that was meant to be funny...lmfao

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
several things but chewing on a sock to keep my mouth shut!

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM
no dont chew a sock i want to hear what you have to say that is why i posted here... i need feed back

mona_b
January 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Can I ask why your sister is breeding?

Does your sister show her dog or is she titled?

How old was the dog when she first bred her?How old is the dog now?

Rottimom
January 8th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Shelby you're not likely to get a positive response to questions about breeding on this site, but I do want to say, if you are speaking the truth and it is your sisters dog, then I am glad to see that you seem to care about what's best for this dog and what's safe for her.

Hopefully you will pass along the information previously posted (things to think about before you breed) to your sister. :)

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
No she doesnt show her dog, she is papered and she had her first litter this past summer she is 2 1/2yrs old now

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 05:13 PM
thanx for all the responses, and yes i am telling the truth about my sisters dog, anyway she had been a breeder for years, her first dog who passed away at age 15(Tasha), she bred 3 times and now with this one(sasha) it just seems too soon for me, Sasha had 5 puppies this summer and is due for her heat soon. i thought that this would be a good site to find out info to pass along,

mona_b
January 8th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Please suggest to your sister that she spay her dog.

She shouldn't be breeding.

What LR has posted is 100% true.No one should be breeding unless they follow everything that LR has posted.

This is where the term Backyard Breeder comes in.

Please try and educate your your sister on this... :)

Also,doesn't mater that she is registered.She shouldn't be bred.

CyberKitten
January 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I am just assuming she has followed all the steps Lucky pointed out. Many people will NOT purchase a puppy UNLESS the dog has a title and has been shown. So then you are left to the definition of BYB which IF the dog has NOT been shown, has no title and hence no real reeason for being bred, your sister would be engaging in.

I do not mean to be rude or mean in pointing this out, just noting the way of the world in credible dog breeding. Any dog NOT titled should NOT be bred. Accidents occur of course but then there is the option of abotion especially in a young dog.

How will your sister sell these puppies? If she does not show them, how can the dog be judged?

I hope you will encourage your sister to take the proper route if she is interested in this field. It is not an easy one - people I know who show their dogs spend thousands of dollars a year and never make money from it. It is avocation for them and something they can afford to do. They usually have to pay for the testing of the stud in addition to the stud fees which is soemthing you would do anyway to make certain the dog is disease free. (There are unscrupulous dog breeders everywhere, sigh!)

So, I wish her well if she getting into that field. There is a normnal heat cycle for dogs and breeders know that quite well. The people at the shows could help in that regard. First, her dog has to win a championship though. It is a subculture all its own!

mona_b
January 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Also,sory to say,but after reading what you just posted,she is a BYB.

Please talk to her.Also this site is not a place to ask breeding questions.

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I know she had the pups sold before they were even born, there was a waiting list... anyway i had no idea i couldnt ask a question about breeding here, i see now that it is a hostile question sorry to ruffle feathers, and i dont doubt what LR said, when i posted earlier about the link it was this link, if u have read it i believe it is supposed to be funny......it cant be serious http://wonderpuppy.net/ckci/

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I will look at this from the point of view of someone not in rescue first...

Having litters back to back can be very stressful on the body. It takes it's toll on the female by robbing her body of essential things such as calcium for example. The body needs time to recover and general practice of a good breeder is to only have a litter every two years from the female.

Now as someone in rescue, I will ask the question....

Is this dog being bred in order to give someone a paycheque as I have not seen mention that the female is a grand champion producing pups for further betterment of the breed?

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 05:44 PM
thank you, i thought that it would be too much for her to have litters back to back, all i know when it came to finding the stud it took her a year and when she found him she took him to the vet also, my sister was told by the vet that they both had strong knee's and jaws, which he said was rare in shih tzus, the only thing he didnt like was sasha had a under bite or over bite but he had nice teeth..... she is pure bred but my sister doesnt show her she isnt a champion , So does she just have to be pure bred to enter dog shows.... can she enter a show after she had bred her...i have no idea about this stuff. is there anything else she needs to enter a show?

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM
her bite disqualifies her which is also a genetic defect that passes on to some offspring making her a not suitable candidate to have litters.

shelbyshihtzu
January 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
thanx for the info, i just seen what i wrote about being pure bred to enter.... where is my mind at... anyway thanx again, hhmm the vet should of told her that she wasnt a good canidate for breeding dont ya think? anyway i am going to go and call her now and tell her this... (she wont be happy with me) altho it probably wont stop her from breeding it might stop her from breeding this heat hopefully. thanx again and i promise never to ask another question about Breeding , had no idea it was so tabboo

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM
questions are important and asking them should not be taboo. Everyone has a learning curve and you were concerned about her which is a very good thing!

CyberKitten
January 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM
It is not taboo, just a controversial subject especially with so many dogs needing homes! Thank you for listening at least and explaining to your sister what is the right way to breed dogs. This dog, with a genetic flaw, would never have been allowed to breed and no reputable breeder would have allowed one of their or their stud to maye with it. It's never advantagous to be continuing a line with flaws - it is asking for more health problems later. I hope your sister listens to you!!

LavenderRott
January 8th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Your vet wouldn't tell you that the dog shouldn't be bred because it's bite is wrong. Your vet will tell you whether the dog is healthy enough to carry a litter of puppies to term, barring unforseen complications.

Most of us are not against breeding, we are against irresponsible breeding. In my opinion, a responsible breeder will do the following:

Show the dogs to Championship.
Put working titles on the dogs.
Run tests to eliminate genetic defects.
Carefully screen all potential owners.
Sell puppies on spay/neuter contracts unless the dog is to be shown.
Have space available to take back any puppy at any time for whatever reason.

These are pretty basic. I would expect much more of a breeder if I was looking for a puppy, but I wouldn't even bother if these things weren't taken care of.

AKC and CKC are nothing more then registries. Having papers means nothing more then the dog is pure bred. Neither organization has any type of system set up to assure you that the dog is any better quality (health or temperment wise) then an unregistered dog.

Shaykeija
January 8th, 2005, 11:42 PM
My Sophia was a breeding dog.(2 litters) A Shih Tzhu who was a show dog. She was bred only 3 times and she is 4 now and retired and spayed. Unless those dogs are show or champions why would you breed them? Any responsible breeder would know that these small dogs can have a very difficult time birthing. When Sophie whelped she was under a vet's care untill all her puppies arrived safely. Will your sister do this? And yes it is too soon after her last litter to make her go through it again. I was at the store tonight and I saw the cutiest little dogs. They were a Shih-terrier mix. The owner was so proud to tell me that her 8 month old female was pregnate and offered to sell me one if I wanted one. I checked out her female,(what a little love bug) her dog seemed under weight and her coat was thin. So she got a case of " You idiot from me". That puppy was way too young to breed. My poor husband had to get me back in the car I really wanted to kick her butt all over the parking lot. I felt so sad for that little dog. What a life for her. :(