Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A strange scratch

Dasher
January 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I wrote earlier about my itchy Jack Russell. Well I forgot to mention this little oddity. You know how dogs rub their back end on the floor when they have worms? Well this 13 month old puppy (Dasher) slithers like a snake and rubs his belly on the floor. But it looks more like he is rubbing his boy parts (With my 4 kids it is called a pee pee) anyway he seems to be rubbing it on the floor. Is this a normal thing? Or is there some kind of problem? I have not had a male puppy in a long time (and never a Jack Russell) so I don't know if this is something weird or not. Thanks!

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Now that I have recovered from the mental image... sorry don't mean to laugh... I have seen dogs do this before, as to why, I can't even hazard a guess.

TWilson9498
January 7th, 2005, 09:23 PM
My puppy is no bigger than my daughter's shoe and she drags herself around on her stomach all the time. She jumps up all of a sudden and just starts to play out of nowhere. Perhaps they are wanting a belly rub? :) I've had other dogs in the past, both female and male do this, but since it's only on the carpet that I have seen and not on the kitchen floor or hardwood I assumed they were scratching their bellies!