Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catching a rabbit???

chocolatecoffee
January 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Hi!

Well there's this guy that, sadly enough, raises rabbits, lets them run wild around the neighbourhood, then butchers them. I say somebody should butcher him! I've contacted multiple groups but all of them say that they can't do anything because they don't have the proof, even though everybody knows that he does. Since nobody did anything, they multipled like, well, rabbits and my neighbourhood and bordering neighbourhoods were full of them. Well nobody's charging him, but the Calgary SPCA started catching them and putting them up for adoption in the fall. Of course, they're still all over the place, and there's this one that always hangs around my block. It's freezing outside and it's not fair for him to be out there, so I'm trying to catch him, then I'll bring him to the SPCA or find a good home for him myself. The problem is I can't catch him! I've caught babies before and found them good homes, they're easy enough to catch, but I just can't catch this little guy! He's fairly tame, he always runs up to me or my grandma as soon as we go outside for food, but whenever I reach out to scoop him up he bolts. I've set up a huge cage with a blanket with food in it, but I always miss him when he goes in there and I can't figure out how to set up a trap that'll work. Does anybody have any idea how to catch him? I'd like to catch him as soon as possible, it's just getting colder out there. Also, does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get this monster charged? I've contacted everything, even newsgroups, and either they haven't replied or they won't do anything. Thanks!

-Daniela

CyberKitten
January 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
This makes me just sick (as someone who still mourns my bunny!).

Get a humane Tomahawk sage trap (the same kind you would use for trapping cats) and put banana in it - rabbits lick their lips for bananas - and leave the food in it. Hopefully, he might come to the trap and you can then find him a home or adopt him. Bunnies make wonderful pets!

Bunnies run VERY fast - they have to given their status on the food chain.

Here is an article on rescuing a rabbit:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rescue.html

Good luck and thank you so much for caring about this little guy. Bunnies are such vulnerable little animals!

db7
January 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Take the blanket out of the trap. Next time he approaches you for food toss the blanket over him.

Alternatively, you get a terrier. :evil:

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 07:30 PM
If you can get close enough to him with the food then a fishing net, the type you use to scoop up fish when you've caught one...hidden behind your back may work.. you have to be really fast though... perhaps the food placed in a corner will give you an advantage.. we caught a squirrel that way that was in our garage.. wasn't an easy task though..