Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our day so far...

Karin
January 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Ciara has had loose stools for the past two days. (Not uncommon with her Metacam) This morning it was quite loose with mucous so I took a sample to her vet. Temp, energy & appetite are okie dokey. I knew the fecal would be negative for parasites but it did show high in bacteria on a direct smear. So I come home with the usual Rx of Metronidazole. (Flagyl, a wonderful drug). I dosed her and sped off to the grocery store for cottage cheese & yogurt....I go the mile for my baby. When I came back and walked her she was unsteady on her feet slightly and had watery stools and much gas. I called the vet to see about adding 1/2 tablet imodium and while I was on the phone Ciara started trembling, shaking and was falling backwards, I dropped the phone and grabbed her. Back to the vet. I have seen this so many times working at a vet clinic. She is still ADR which is not uncommon for 24 hours following a stroke. The vet feels she had a mild one. She has slight paralysis to her right side but can still walk slowly. Of course the head tilt is there too. Prednisone is out due to her prior history unless it is an emergency. (Although not a cushing's syndrome dog, it could be a possibility due to her misdiagnosis of addison's by the evil vet I use to work for.)
She is resting now, it has been a scary morning. Her vet has called twice already to check on her. We feel watching her closely right now is best. (And treat the original problem)
Any suggestions, recommendations or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Prayers help too...so if you all can muster one for the super uber goober......

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I have no suggestions but I can offer my thoughts and good wishes that she recovers. Big droolly kisses from Buddy to Ciara they always make me feel better I hope they make her feel better

Sneaky2006
January 7th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I don't have any either, sorry :( But you guys are surely in our prayers. :love:

whinnie-boo
January 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Karin, you have more the our prayers believe me, our thoughts, our prayers, and our support. Thats why we're here. Good luck to your baby. :sorry:

chico2
January 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Yes Karin lots of kisses to Ciara and hopefully recovery.I feel for you and Ciara
and know how very much you mean to each other,so you'll certainly be in my thoughts.I do not pray,but I'll make an exception,maybe someone will listen :love:

Katherine1
January 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM
:sorry: I hope Ciara gets better real soon. We will keep her ( and you too ) in our prayers and Molly sends happy tail wags.

Karin
January 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone...Ciara is acting like the goober she is, except for the slight "flounder face"... She is still very slow. She has not been outside for a potty break since before I posted. I am taking her out as soon as I log off.
She is doing okay...better than I. I go back to work tomorrow but the good thing is I work here. The whole reason I keep this ungrateful job... so I can take care of Ciara like she took care of me.

Thanks again, Karin & the super uber goober,Ciara.

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Awww, I know what it's like caring for an ailing elderly dog.:( Sending good wishes to you and huggies to Ciara!

CyberKitten
January 7th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Karin,

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I too know what it is like caring for an elderly dog/rabbit/cat and how tough it is. My thoughts are with you!

twinmommy
January 7th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Sorry your furbaby isn't well, hope that she's better soon!!

Sending you positive thoughts and many furry hugs all the way from Montreal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karin
January 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I have typed ..and retyped. Trying to fit things with my computer/artificial reef....that gives me grief!

Ciara will be 6 years old on Jan. 17th. She has had medical issues since 16 weeks of age. Mostly due to bad vet care. (nutshell version)

She still has the flounder face, leans to the right when walking., she is eating, drinking...trying to play when enticed to. Still ADR, I would be too.
Given time, and crossing fingers..prayers too...I have tons of hope.
Her body has been through so much for such a short time, she has always been very fragile healthwise. Tomorrow will tell.
Right now she is still on the couch, I may need a forklift to move her to bed.
Or I'll sleep on the floor next to her, again. My cuddle bunny, snuggle bunny.

twinmommy
January 7th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Godluvya!! You go sleep with that sweet baby!! You are such a good furmommy!!! :angel: Sweet dreams to you and to Ciara (((hug)))

Karin
January 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I worked today, 10 hours, thankfully I work where I live. No sleep last night for me. Ciara snored. I had my hand on her all night, kinda like I did with my kids when they were sick. I did add a low dose of prednisone, short term. This will help with the inflamation of her bowels too. So far, so good...she looks aged beyond her years today. I walk her only around the house...she is slow and tends to travel in circles, this I expected. But as far as attitude, she is still the goober. Her right eye has way too much gooberness so I need to clean it often. Her appetite...the people here who know Rotti's know. They will alway's eat, and perk up at the dinner bell!
Cottage cheese, rice, chicken..plus her meds.
Tomorrow she is due for another dose of Metacam, she does need this, she is ouchy. I know it will upset her stomach a bit..she is on a eod dose. I can give her cimetidine 300mg to aid with this or reglan 5mg. I think we'll opt for the Tagamet if needed and only if needed. It seems to work okay without the dopeyness reglan gives. She had her Adequan injection last week,1.6 ml im. The Adequan gives her great pain relief and I could do another ....We'll see..
Today she did jump outside when she saw a squirrel....she would have taken chase....except I was on the other end of the leash and NOT moving fast.
I geuss what bothers me more than anything is the sudden looks of age setting in with her..she will be 6 on the 17th.
I think I am more bothered by this than she is. I know the logics...she does not. I should know better but I fall apart when it concerns my own.
I'm venting again....

CyberKitten
January 8th, 2005, 07:58 PM
:grouphug:

Karin,

Sometimes venting is good for the soul and you need to do it now!! Vent all you want - we'll listen!! You are a good mommy and I hope she'll be fine!!

Copper'sMom
January 8th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. You sound like a wonderful and loving person and that is exactly what Ciara needs. Best of luck to you and Ciara both. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

And feel free to vent here anytime!!

twinmommy
January 8th, 2005, 10:42 PM
:thumbs up

Please vent anytime, I'm sure we will all be glad to listen!!

chico2
January 9th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Karin,I wish we could help,but I know one thing for certain,Ciara could not be in better hands than yours.
I am not knowledgable about her problem,whether she can recover or not,but I hope she does...6 yrs is not really old for a Rottie,right?
I feel saddened for yours and Ciaras struggle and I'll be thinking of you :love:
Writing about how you feel,often offers relief somehow,so please vent all you want :love:

Karin
January 9th, 2005, 06:29 PM
My dear goober bopped me in the head with a squeeky toy when I came home to check on her this morning. She only does this when she feels good. ( I give her soft, plush toys only for this reason, she once nailed me with a large Nylabone, I saw stars..lol!)
She must be feeling better, her aim is still there! Anyhow, I have been smiling all day...eating great, but still listing to the right....and still looks older beyond her years. I am going to try and not worry so much, she is improving...slightly.