Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any suggestions on bathing?

hddlstn02
January 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Like I've said before, Bailey is my first puppy, so I'm new w/ all of this stuff.

I've given Bailey 2 baths so far & the first one was OK, but the second was not as easy.... He had gotten quite a bit bigger between baths & stronger, he kept trying to climb out of the bathtub. (I just give him a bath in our tub, it's got a hand held shower head so it's much easier.) I finally just put on a pair of shorts & climbed in w/ him, I thought this would calm him, but it didn't much. I even let him just play a little in the water before I actually started bathing him, which he loved, until the water was getting on more than his feet. I washed the body first & the head last (I heard it scares dogs to get water on their heads) and that didn't even help. Any suggestions?

PS~ Thanks for all of the help I've gotten so far from everybody about all of my questions! :thumbs up

tenderfoot
January 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM
It is great to get him used to baths, but not neccessary for his health. Unless he is dirty and stinks, he could just use a good brushing. Brushing brings out the natural oils and keeps his coat healthy. Bathing with soaps can strip his coat of oils and remove some of the natural protection it offers and dry out the coat.
I would forgo the total bath concept and just let him enjoy the tub. Put a little warm water in the bottom of the tub and let him play. Even if you toss a tennis ball in with him he should enjoy that. Getting in with him should help and give you more control - just don't slip and fall yourself. Don't make it a chore for either of you. In, have fun and out again. Then you can increase the amount of water in the tub and start splashing his legs with it and get higher on his body as he gets used to it. You could have the shower head running but not having the running water touching him yet - just get him used to the noise. All steps in the right direction until you can give him a proper bath.
Don't let him complain and win, correct any bad behavior and return to having fun. Sweet talk him when he is being good.

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
It is great to get him used to baths, but not neccessary for his health.

I agree. I bathe my dog a few times a year only.

Make sure you have a rubber mat in the bottom of the tub. Many dogs get frightened if the surface is slick and they have nothing to grip.

whinnie-boo
January 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Anyone got any suggestions on how to keep them out of the bath? Its is a sin (according to Whin) if someone in our house trys to shower and she is not allowed to join. Obviously, I don't wash her with shampoo more then 1 every 3 months unless she needs it. I just let the water run on her, makes her happy and fresh. Anyone else have a dog who loves to shower? I wish that it was the opposite and I had to struggle with her every few months as opposed to everyday.

tenderfoot
January 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Great dog! We should all have such problems!
We have a drill we teach called the 'out' drill. It is about creating territories and areas where she is not permitted to go without your permission. If you are interested I could go into detail (we also show how to do it in our video). It is really a great drill because it also deals with respect issues and gets your dog to look to you for answers.
Just let me know if you want details and I will be happy to help.

doggy lover
January 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have the same problem with Tucker when you get out of the bath he jumps in, just loves water. Likes to put his rubber duck in the bath when your in it too. I have also seen the rubber duck in the tolit. Tucker would even get in the bath with you which he has in the past. Now if he comes in the bathroom when I'm in the tub I tell him to sit and wait, which he does or he lies on the floor, but when you get out he feels that the bath is fair game. lol

lucyvanpelt
January 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
our puppy loves the shower. he's never gone in when someone's using it (although i'm sure he would if he could) but he likes to crawl around in there. it's cute but i'm sure if i was trying to shower it wouldn't be so adorable.
we've had duffy a week and bathed him when he came home because he smelt like 10 dogs. our trick was not to fill the tub but to let the water run and use a big cup to pour it over him, keeping it out of his face. he didn't whine at all. in fact, he tries to jump in the tub when we're in it so it musn't have been a bad experience.

whinnie-boo
January 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Tenderfoot....please Share, I Love To Learn

hddlstn02
January 7th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I wish Bailey were like your guys' dogs! Maybe he will be soon though.

Thanks TENDERFOOT I will try your suggestions. The 1st time I gave him a bath was to get rid of fleas... He hadn't been treated & was practically being eaten alive w/ them! (He was too young, however, to use flea shampoo on, so I just used a plain shampoo suitable for puppies, but it helped a lot!) I couldn't stand to see him scratching & crying while he scratched, so I had to do it. The 2nd time he had gotten into a mud hole... I tried to brush him, but he still smelled like muddy water, so I had to do it for me that time... LOL, sure he didn't care what he smelled like.

I also have these things called "Pet Wipes" made by Coralite, I think, that I use. They come in a round container like baby wipes. I have been using these for little touch-ups, (for him & my cats) he's getting much better w/ letting me use these on him.... they're great for little things like his ears, paws, etc... I would suggest these to anyone!

Thanks again for the help! :thumbs up

tenderfoot
January 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Whinnie-boo - please be patient I am still composing. I want to make sure I don't leave anything out. I'll try to have it ready by tomorrow. Thanks!