Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Itchy Jack Russell

Dasher
January 7th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Hello all! I have a new puppy - about 13 weeks old. When we got him he had some fleas and I dosed him with advantage. I haven't seen a flea on him but he scratches constantly. I got medicated shampoo, as advised by others, and bathed him with it. No change. There are a couple crusty sores by base of tail etc that he scratches constantly. I don't notice any flaking or rashes (just where he scratches all the time) Any suggestions? Thanks

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
That he has an allergic reaction to the flea bites. I have owned two dogs previously who reacted to the bites. You could try putting some polysporin on the sores and see if it helps them in the next 24 hours. If not, I would also suggest contacting your vet and asking him/her for an alternative treatment choice. Good luck, poor little guy must be feeling uncomfortable.

Dasher
January 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM
I have neosporin - what is polysporin?

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 09:17 AM
you can use the neo very similar and I would suggest using oatmeal shampoo for bathing it is very soothing and good for dry itchy skin also you could put some break a fish oil capsule in his food great for his coat and moisturizing.