Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

long distance purchase..any thoughts?

meb999
January 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi there everyone!
I'd like to get some opinions about buying a dog from far away...ie letting the breeder pick a puppy out for you and send him by plane.
I am already on a waiting with a boxer breeder from montreal, many of my friends tell me I should be on MANY waiting lists. Is this right? Is it unfair to a breeder to tell him you'll buy one of his pups all the while having two other breeders on the backburner? It doesn't feel right, but maybe I am wrong...
If this IS the way to go, there aren't many reputable boxer breeders in montreal, should I contact breeders from out west? Isn't it better to meet the litter and pick out a pup yourself?
I know, having been on this board a little while, that I will get alot of responses telling me that I should consider a rescue boxer...let me just say that I would LOVE a little rescue wiggle-butt :p ...but my hubbie is insisting on a breeder...:sad: So unless I can convince him before next summer, we'll be getting a puppy from a breeder.
Thanx

BMDLuver
January 6th, 2005, 09:17 PM
1) go with your gut feeling
2) meet the puppy and the parents
3) make the decision with your husband
4) use a local breeder if possible as a health issue could arise and being a plane ride away will not help you

Just my thoughts

DogueLover
January 6th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Let me start off by saying that I personally would rather meet the breeder, the parents of the pup and the pup itself. You can get a lot of information just by doing those things............. sometimes what we see on the net is not what we end up with. The breeder will only know what you tell him about yourselves and that is a HUGE decision to make.
I just wonder about whether or not you can find another breeder near you........so you can meet the breeder and check things out. You hadn`t mentioned how much you were planning to pay for the pup but I can imagine it will be not cheap. I just think that an "investment" like that deserves more careful consideration. Sometimes things are not what they seem, and a breeder that knows you are not going to come and check him out could end up sending you a very sick, or very poor quality pup. You won`t know because all you have is word of mouth .......... the breeders at that.

If this is the only option for you then just consider checking into the breeder and his dogs more fully. ASK a LOT of questions. Check if he is CKC registered, ask for pedigrees, and contact the CKC if he is registered to see if he is in good standing.

Now you will notice that I did not once tell you to get a rescue boxer.......... I know from my own personal experience getting my Dogue De Bordeaux that I knew exactly what I wanted and that was what I got. I did a LOT of research on the breed and checked out the breeder completely. She in turn did the same with me and my family.

Since you and your husband have already discussed where and how you will go about getting your dog then all I will suggest is that you do a LOT of research before settling with the breeder, there are breeders who can tell you they have CKC registered dogs but if you don`t ask for proof and check them out how would you know?

Good luck in your search...... :thumbs up I`ll keep you in mind if I find someone that knows more about boxers than I do.

mrmilo
January 6th, 2005, 09:32 PM
many of my friends tell me I should be on MANY waiting lists. Is this right? Is it unfair to a breeder to tell him you'll buy one of his pups all the while having two other breeders on the backburner?

Yes, it's wrong :eek: A responsible breeder will have homes for all the pups before they are born. But that's beside the point, why would you mislead someone no matter what you intend to buy. If you can adopt a dog, fantastic. If your family decides to get a puppy then that's fine too. Find a responsible breeder and get on their waiting list. It's OK to ask the breeder when they think they will have a puppy available, how long their waiting list is, etc. The most important thing is to make sure the breeder is good, that way you will end up with a healthy dog and be supporting someone who truly cares about the breed. If you have to wait then you wait, so what, what have you lost?

lil_kirk
January 6th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Here are the two Ottawa Kennel Club Boxer breeders in the Ottawa area:

Rhoda, Wally & Kyle Ace, Tickitbou
Box 656, Osgoode, ON K0A 2W0
Tel: 613-826-3200; Fax: 613-826-3310
E-mail: colbox@sympatico.ca
WEB: www3.sympatico.ca/colbox/Tickitbou/

Peter & Linda Larivière, Ringside
126 Acorn Cres., P.O. Box 131, R.R. 3
Woodlawn, ON K0A 3M0
Tel: 613-832-5463; Fax: 613-832-0794
E-mail: ringside.boxers@sympatico.ca

Ottawa's not a far drive from Montreal!!

BMDLuver
January 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM
that Meb99 has already researched the breeder with the help of Boxer Rescue Montreal. Meb99 is very aware of byb's and the like. She originally had another breeder in mind but due to research found out that it was not a good choice.

lil_kirk
January 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM
As far as the multiple waitlists go--I don't see a problem with it. The breeder likely takes more people on a waitlist than they have puppies--as a fall back. If they can have a fall back then why can't you?

I would want a fall back for sure if you are wanting a specific gender. The breeder you have your name in with could have a litter with one girl and five boys--and if you're not first on the list and wanted a girl, you may not get her.

Just my thoughts :D

DogueLover
January 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Don`t know much more than that these are listed as Boxer Breeders in Quebec and both are members of the Boxer Club or Canada ( one is the regional director)
You can research them if you choose

Debbie Russell ( Allardyce)
123 Bellevue, Hudson Que. J0P 1H0
(450) 458 2217
dallardyce@aircanada.ca
(Regional Director for the Boxer Club of Canada)

Barry and Lynn Green
796 Upper Concession Rd
Ormstown, Que. J0S 1K0
( 450) 829 3725
bgreen @rocler.gc.ca

I just found them on a google search for boxer breeders in Quebec.

Like I said check them out if you choose.

BMDLuver
January 6th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Lil Kirk, it's true that a wait list is just that. It doesn't mean that when you see the pups there will be one just right for you. I do think it's important to meet the litter and the parents so sticking close to home if possible would be the best bet. Ottawa isn't far either!

DogMa
January 6th, 2005, 10:10 PM
If you are going to be on multiple wait list, just be up front about it. Tell each breeder that you are, and why.
I know when I got my purebreds that I did my research and chose a breeder and waited. It wasn't a case of several breeders and I'll take the first one that comes along.
You should know and be comfortable with your breeder. You should have several long phone calls if the breeder is long distance and feel like you have a relationship with the breeder. You should be happy with your choice, otherwise choose a different breeder.

CyberKitten
January 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I think you need to be up front with the breeders - and they may understand since if you are on a waiting list for a particular gender and colour - (do boxers have dif colots? The one we used to babysit as kids for our neighbour was a small Boxer - Scottish maybe, can't recall the exact breed - was black and white, very smart, cute and loved all the attention we lavished on him as young children - old enough to petsit tho!). Anyway, explain this to each breeder since the breeding world - the reputable one - anyway is small, they all know one another, participate in the same shows and so forth. So be honest about it!

I know people who have purchased purebred dogs (and cats) from breeders from a distance but the breeders are known to local people and well regarded and the peole do their research. Some have travelled to meet the parents (Hmmm... maybe we could do a whole other "Meet the Parents" movie to talk about the proper way to breed, lol). I myself almost adopted a Siamese from away but it was from a highly reputable rescue group. (and no rescue group can promise you what behaviour problems may be latent in an animal but usually TLC overrides them anyway (speaking as someone who tamed most of my grandmother's feral cats when she was dying and we needed them to be cared for!)

I still think the best way is to actually go and visit the breeder - get a feeling about them, meet the dogs and see how well socialized her puppies are. I would also get references and talk to others who have purchsed puppies from the breeder. Look up the breeder's info and see how they do in shows - even if you yourself are uninterested in competing. Even attend a show if you can! It gives you a great feel for the dog, the breeder.

It took me six months or more to find Yin Yin and even Lucky at one time had to say to me "be patient" and it was great advice. Because you decide you want a pet and then it you'd like him or her now. But these things done properly take time!!

I know all my instincts and research about Yin Yin's breeder and parents paid off. Her mother was the most wonderful of cats - laid back for a Siamese , probably die to all the judging and the kittens extremely well socialized. There were strict rules about adoptions and the father was at a different breeder but I went to see him too and he also was just a great cat! And the puppy will be like his or her parents so it is important to see them, to see how they live, are they part of the family , how they are treated in their own melieu. Call it a home visit part of your research. :)

This is a little being who will become part of your family. You need to do it well!

Good luck whatever you decide!

mona_b
January 7th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Yes,you will be put on a waiting list.This usually takes place before breeding occurs.I was put on one with my dogs.They do occationally have pups that potential buyers have backed out of for whatever reason.

Here is a link to an amazing breeder.Yes I said amazing.. :D

They have MANY champions.And I have seen them at the shows.And they are in Que.You can talk to them and get more info.They also belong to The Boxer Club of Canada.

For those who don't know,Ch in front of the name means Champion.... :thumbs up

This is what you want to see in a breeder.
http://www.rocler.qc.ca/bgreen/aboutus.html

meb999
January 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Here is a link to an amazing breeder.Yes I said amazing.. :D

This is what you want to see in a breeder.
http://www.rocler.qc.ca/bgreen/aboutus.html
Wow that's great to hear...this is the breeder whose waiting list I am on!!!
They are expecting a litter this summer. :D
I had actually contacted two other breeders in the montreal area, one of them turned out to be a BYB/puppymill ( :eek: ....no thank you!) and the other...well I don't get a good feeling about him. When I asked about the different health testing, he simply wrote back that all the test were done and everything is 'fine' + he got a little annoyed at me when I told him I don't want my pups ears cropped... :(
I think BMDLover is right, my gut feeling is that I should be able to meet the dam (and even the sire..if possible) and definetly meet the pups.
Thanks for the addresses LilKirk...Now I just have to decide whether to contact them or not....whether I should just stick with Lynbary Boxers or contact more breeders... :confused:
thanx for all your responses, it's nice to get some animal lovers imput!!

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
It sounds like you have done a fair bit of research. I do know people that have bought their dogs sight unseen and had them flown to them but and a big but these people have all dealt with the breeder before and have met when they purchased their first dogs so they got to know them and vice versa. They loved there first one and were very pleased but decided to get a second they contacted the breeder and got on the waiting list the breeder knew them and their lifestyle so they left it their hands and were very happy but...for a first dog I would not go this way. I really feel your dog picks you and I have even seen it with rescues. I went to meet one and came home with a different dog that picked me as did my Buddy. I would also ask for some references of owners of their dogs if they will not give you anyone run away. A reputable breeder would gladly contact a few of their clients and ask if it is okay to have a potential buyer contact them. If they say no big red flag. I think you need to meet the breeder and make sure you get a good feeling as well and the others are right they might send you the pup they could not sell or sick or just does not meet the standards that a purebred boxer should and as you know deafness is quite common especially in my favorite white boxers. Good luck with your decision and new puppy

mrmilo
January 7th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I think BMDLover is right, my gut feeling is that I should be able to meet the dam (and even the sire..if possible) and definetly meet the pups.

That really helps make your decision. It's good to see someone spending time researching to get the right puppy and to be sure where it comes from rather than just buying one on impulse. Good going!!! :thumbs up :thumbs up