Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lethecin toxic?

snate
January 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Just wondering if Lethicin is toxic to cats? Just moved into a new apartment and there could of been something else the cat ate. Basically there was an open pill of lethecin on the floor( the essential oil like vitamin e flaxseed etc) both my cats...the persion and my short haired domestic were licking it up. It was less than a teaspoon. My domestic cat, she was only a year got so sic and within 5 hours had a 0 red bled cell count and it was too late for a transfusion. Poor thing later died. My other cat is fine. It could of been something hidden under the stove or fridge etc... but the only thing I remember them eating that was unusual was lethecin and a bit of pineaple. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

twinmommy
January 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hi and Welcome

So sorry for your loss :sorry: It's hard to lose a good friend. Hope that this board can cheer you up a bit.... :sad:

As for soy lecithin, it's not toxic to my knowledge, but the fact that you mentioned just moving into a new place...did they do any exterminating before you arrived? These chemicals are deadly for cats.

Also, maybe he/she got into a house plant that you did not know is toxic...(I just thought because I could see myself putting BOTH kitties and plants in the car, not the moving truck--hopefully you didn't put them together to transport at the same time.....

Otherwise, truly sorry again.

Carina
January 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Oh, I am sorry. :(
I just did a quick search....nothing I read indicates lecithin is at all toxic; actually there's a couple of cat supplement type products that contain it.

The exterminating idea is a possibility...or maybe there was rat or cockroach poison someplace?

snate
January 6th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the quick help, i moved the cats with me and have no plants. Glad to hear its not the lethecin. Probably something hidden in this place. Moving now...too sad to stay.