Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Okay I rescued a mastiff, now what?

yvonnem
January 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I now have the pleasure of hosting "Sarge" a brindled mastiff of about 5 years who I took from Animal Control in Toronto.

He's a lovey but he needs a lot of TLC. Great manners so far......

Goldenmom
January 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
He is a beauty! A couple questions....

"Okay I rescued a mastiff, now what? "
What do you mean by this???

Also, what exactly does "I now have the pleasure of hosting " mean?
Do you mean fostering or do you mean "I now have the pleasure of loving this beauty for ever and ever?"

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

mastifflover
January 5th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I think this is the dog Yvonne emailed me about while I was on holiday and offline. I think she is fostering him he has a blown cruciate ligament. What do you need to know yvonne ask away

Goldenmom
January 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I think this is the dog Yvonne emailed me about while I was on holiday and offline. I think she is fostering him he has a blown cruciate ligament. What do you need to know yvonne ask away

LOL Ok, thanks for the explanation. I haven't been around alot lately and had me confused.

Heather

mastifflover
January 5th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I know I have been offline since the Christmas eve and have no clue what has happened

Bugsy
January 6th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Wooooo Hooooo.... :D I'm so happy for you. What a cutie, keep the pictures coming!

jackieb
January 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM
ahh he is so cute how did you find out about him as im still looking to adopt in may/june i couldnt foster as the boys would get attatched.

All the best with him

mastifflover
January 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Fostering is tough because you do get attached to them but you have to keep in mind that you are a pit stop on the road to a loving forever home. But every once in awhile you get one that is really hard to let go, those are the toughest. You just have to remember this is just temporary and try not to let them or you get too attached. Yvonne updates on Sarge.

LL1
January 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Gorgeous dog! Which rescue are you fostering for? Congratulations!!

jackieb
January 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM
good on you for fostering it would be a no for me with the boys i just wondered were you got the mastiff from as i will be seeking to adopt one in June

yvonnem
January 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Lynda who is the rescue co-ordinator for Canadian Mastiff Club contacted me and asked me if I could get him out of animal control and into a foster situation. So I did.

He has been at the house for 3 days now and is looking better than he did. But I have never rescued an animal before and I really have no idea what happens next and I haven't gotten any response from Lynda yet. Should I be taking him to my vet? Should I be finding out if there is a vet that gives discounts for rescue? Should I ask my vet if she gives discounts for rescues? How much financial responsibility do I take for this animal?

Sarge is a lovely boy. He smells terrible. He has kennel cough and when he first came he had green snot running down his nose (sorry for those of you who have delicate stomachs). Now the snot is whitish/yellow, which if he was a kid I would say is better. He doesn't seem as congested but its hard to tell. He was going down the back porch steps until it snowed yesterday. Now he won't go down and he waits for me to open the back door, steps out on the porch and pees. He has trouble pooping because of the injury to his back leg. He waits until I close the back door then manoevres his bum into the corner of the porch and poos.

At first he went down the steps and couldn't get back up -- I would have to give him a boost. then on Wednesday he came back up on his own. Unfortunately on Thursday it snowed and he won't try the steps now -- they are slippery and he is nervous.

He likes men. And my daughter was over yesterday with her 12 year old boy and he loves boys. He kept following Steven around.

He gets along just fine with a bouncy mastiff puppy and a cat. The cat on the other hand is not so sure he wants to be friends with this new dog.

I have him on a bunch of herbal remedies - echinacea, goldenseal, glucosamine -- all in tablet form. He's very good about eating around the pill but I've started embedding the pill in honey on a tiny square of bread and he eats the whole thing. Then honey seems to help his throat as well but he still has a hacking cough. He's very considerate with the cough - if he feels one coming on, he will get up and go into a corner and cough.

His ears are filthy. His nails are nasty. He has trouble sleeping because when he drops his head, he can't breathe.

I just feel really isolated and support-less -- except for mastifflovers very kind email and suggestions! I realize that rescue is not an organized organization but I really wish it was!

Yvonne

Goldenmom
January 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Mastifflover, I don't know about you, but I am feeling just HORRIBLE for this person! How could Rescue do this to her?

I would feel just like you. I am sure Mastifflover will be able to help you out. I don't know much about this breed, but I do know that he needs to see a vet ASAP and Rescue should be paying for this.

When I foster, I have access to 24 hour help. They are wonderful! You are doing an amazing thing for this Rescue and they shouldn't be treating you this way.

Please ask all the questions you need so we can try to help you out.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

whinnie-boo
January 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks you for helping save this gorgeous guy...He's adorable. I'd keep trying to get a hold of Lynda, before you make any decisions. She will probably be the only one entitled to any rescue discounts from a vet & can recommend you.
I do not personally work in rescue, I'd just cover all my bases before forking out a ton of cash. If he appears to be in pain then I'd take him to the vet myself. What did the shelter have to say about him when you picked him up?

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM
and Lynda does not come forward, please advise me and I will hook you up with a wonderful organization Toronto Based, that will be able to help you with his medical needs. They are breed specific but not this breed. They have an excellent vet who does wonders with Rotties and Pugs that are special needs. I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time being a new foster. Keep up the good work, I know he appreciates it!

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Yvonne I emailed you my cell number and I am pm'ing you my work number

whinnie-boo
January 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Mastifflover, its great of you to help........

Just wondering, should this Lynda person not be responsible for this dog??

Also,

Yvonne, is there a possibility of your keeping Sarge, or is this strictly a temporary thing? I hope everything works out, because he is stunning.

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Has the puppy he is in contact with received Bordetella vaccination? Kennel cough is highly contagious and from the sounds of it he has a full blown case which may need antibiotics as it does settle into pneumonia particuliarly in dogs that are young or in poor condition...

LL1
January 7th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Lynda is not in Ontario is she? Which animal control did he come from?

You could try calling Ontario Mastiff rescues and see if they can help as well:

Bullmastiff Rescue of Canada: Amy Lewis at 905-336-9268; alewis@sympatico.ca

Mastiff Club Rescue is a rescue & placement service for Old English Mastiffs across Canada. Bob Johnston: 613-477-1977 or Bev Malloy: 905-473-5919

LL1
January 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
She is wonderful! Her vet tho would be quite far for Yvonne tho.
They have an excellent vet who does wonders with Rotties and Pugs that are special needs.

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Funny BMD I just came back on because I was concerned about the kennel cough

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
LL1 do you know Bev because if you do it would be better having someone she know contact her at least until Lynda can get back to Yvonne lets get the cough taken care of. Yvonne please call maybe I can give you hand in some way

LL1
January 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I actually don't know the Mastiff folks unfortunately, I'm sure they would try and help tho as the dog is in Ontario. What type of Mastiff is he, I am not familiar with the variations or the breed.

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
He looks to be english but I think he is a mix which is where the problem will come I am sure because from his pic he does not look purebred. Not that I care but sometimes it is an issue for rescues. I hope not, he looks like a sweetie. I don't want to call anyone till I hear from Yvonne to know if she has arranged anything yet. But I would love to get him on some antibiotics because obviously the North York Shelter was not helping this guy they had him on concrete floors and they knew he was coming down with kennel cough and sent this dog with no antibiotics to a home with a new puppy that is just ignorance on the part of the shelter were they waiting till he developed Pneumonia first before they took care of him.
If anyone has yvonnes number could you pm me thanks

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
He looks mixed to me too - from his face I would guess pit bull. How big is he?

He is just stunning!!:)

Lynda who is the rescue co-ordinator for Canadian Mastiff Club contacted me and asked me if I could get him out of animal control and into a foster situation. So I did.

I didn't read all the posts in detail and maybe this has been resolved, but the rescue should be scheduling and paying for ALL his vet care, not YOU and they are responsible for finding him a home too.

In fact he should have been taken to the vet before going home with you. I'm sorry you seem to have been left in the lurch.:(

Goldenmom
January 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
He looks mixed to me too - from his face I would guess pit bull. How big is he?

He is just stunning!!:)

I didn't read all the posts in detail and maybe this has been resolved, but the rescue should be scheduling and paying for ALL his vet care, not YOU and they are responsible for finding him a home too.

In fact he should have been taken to the vet before going home with you. I'm sorry you seem to have been left in the lurch.:(

Exactly! That is what concerns me. They just left him in her lap with no guidance. Thats terrible!

Heather

LL1
January 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM
What kind of fostering arrangement do you have with them? Do they have a website?

jackieb
January 7th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I have spoken with Bev before and i know she said she doesnt deal with the rescue side no more. Im sorry you have been put through all this i have no suggestions really in England they had vets which you could seek free if you had no money.

Please let us know how the dog it is a gorgeous dog i would have thought they would have given you details and information on what to do etc!

Goldenmom
January 7th, 2005, 02:52 PM
What kind of fostering arrangement do you have with them? Do they have a website?

It was quite easy to find...

http://www3.mb.sympatico.ca/~wedgewoo/Rescue.htm

LL1
January 7th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks! I was wondering if they had info on fostering or other contacts that could help Yvonne if Lynda is tied up right now.

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I have emailed Lynda and asked her to give us some direction at least a vet to get this kennel cough taken care of. If it weren't just after Christmas I would pay for it myself but I am really short right now my vet would do it and I could pay later if yvonne wants to bring him to Toronto I would have my vet deal with it and I will pay him later it is not the money I just dont want him to get sicker.

whinnie-boo
January 7th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Besides the kennel cough, should the problems with his legs not be treated as well. Yvonne, you have a big heart for what you're doing for Sarge, please don't get discouraged, when he recovers fully, with you to thank, that will be your biggest reward. Keep trying to get a hold of Lynda, and everyone will do their best to find you some other resources.
:grouphug: for Sarge!!

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
His leg needs to be taken care of but first the kennel cough they couldn't do anything till he is over it. Besides the leg requires surgery and then he will need to be with someone his experienced with this type of injury to help with the healing process.

yvonnem
January 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I emailed Lynda Tuesday evening and I will call her tonight since I haven't gotten a reply. I know she is swamped with stuff that is going on with other rescued mastiffs who are in a lot worse shape than Sarge so she may have just slipped up a little with him.

The woman at Animal control in North York was an absolute sweetheart. Her name was Jennifer and she was so helpful and concerned about Sarge's welfare. I didn't know that Toronto Animal Control and Toronto Humane Society were 2 different things. Apparently if Sarge had been with THS, he would have gotten much better medical care. The animal shelters got him vaccinated - curiously enough they gave him the bortadella vaccination, but he ended up catching it anyway. And they had him on sulfatrim which is an anti-biotic if I remember my first aid lessons.

Adoption fee with Animal Control is $125. Rescue fee is $25 and I took time off in the middle of my work day to go up prepared to pay the $25 only to discover that Jennifer had paid it for me.

I don't mind paying for stuff like the herbal remedies and the glucosamine and of course the food and the ear wash and the dry-shampoo. I'm just venting because I'm anxious and worried and I want to do everything right for this boy.

My puppy is vaccinated, as is the cat, although I am giving both dogs the meds just in case.

Sarge was described as a bullmastiff/rotti mix by the animal control officer but he is definitely an english mastiff. He is either mixed with something else or just badly bred as his hind legs look more like a greyhound and his front legs are on the thin side. Also his muzzle is long which makes him look funny and his ears are set farther back than is customary with mastiffs. And he has a sort of point on the top of his head -- my mastiff has the same but its not so pronounced.

He's big. No idea of his weight but he's a barrel-chested solid boy.

Have I told you guys how much I appreciate all the suggestions and information? I will let you all know how things go with him.

Someone asked if he will turn into an adoption -- I don't think so. Even after 3 days its obvious that he wants to be in a family with boys. And with my bedroom downstairs in the basement there is no way he'll be able to ever cuddle with the rest of the family. He will always be doomed to stay on the main floor at night.

Yvonne

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hey Yvonne I will talk to you this evening and maybe we can come up with some solutions for Sarge. I have to say again you are an angel for helping this sweetie.

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 06:00 PM
When a dog is in rough condition, the bordetella vaccine very commonly ends up giving the dog Kennel cough, the immune system is just too low to help with building immunities at the rate needed. In order for him to be able to go through surgery, he needs to be as close to healthy as possible, this includes getting his ears under control. If it ends up being ACL surgery required, he will then be kept immobile as much as is possible for about 6 weeks. This can mean having to contain him in a kennel. Poor guy, I hope it all gets sorted out for him. His life is at least better just getting a pat and some love right now!

yvonnem
January 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Well, the weekend went okay. I was giving Sarge his pills embedded in honey but he got wise to that real quick and now refuses to touch anything with honey. Tried him with peanut butter and he wouldn't take that either. He will take a little chopped egg.

I don't have a humidifier so I kept a little pot of water with a scoop of Vicks going, which helped him a little.

I managed to put some ear wash in his ears but when you show him a cotton ball, he runs. And he wasn't crazy about me doing his ears either, but he never offered to bite or snap.

He likes pizza and lasagna. And he sneaks up on the couch after everyone goes to bed.

jackieb
January 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
will he be up for adoption for anyone else?

mastifflover
January 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Well I have sent you the miracle ear wash recipe hope Sarge is feeling better. I know how much they hate having their ears cleaned but once all that crap is out they will feel so much better. After you clean just massage them for a few minutes and I always find a treat and TLC makes them feel better.

yvonnem
January 13th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Yes, Sarge will be a dog who will be looking for a forever home. He is absolutely lovely but he is a man's dog -- no question. When my 12 year old grandson comes over Sarge sticks like glue. He comes to my boyfriend for lovies and pets. He will come to me as well, if I have food or if there is no man to go to and he is very gentle and careful but you can tell that he much prefers the company of males.

He seems to be feeling better lately -- we discovered that he adores mashed potatoes so his meds are going in a bowl of mashed and he eats them no problem.

And he is taking an interest in the cat, which he had not done previously.

And now he comes up the back stairs on his own, without me having to lift his hind end.

Mastifflover, I got the ear wash recipe and have the ingredients -- will try it tonight and let you know.

mastifflover
January 13th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I am glad to hear sarge is doing so much better. I am sure he will hate the ear cleaning Buddy had really bad ears when he came to me and still till this day moves real fast when he see the ear wash bottle come off the shelf. But be consistent and it should really help.

badger
January 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
mastiff, if this ear wash is suitable for cats, will you please PM me the recipe? badger has terrible trouble with his ears, always dirty and occasionally inflamed but no mites. Thanks.

BoxerRescueOnt
January 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM
HI I saw your post at hamilton FreeCycle as I am also on the list. Let me know how you make out. Also if you dont mind doing a bit of driving Maybe post on FreeCycle Niagara And I will post to someone else to see if they could post on RDIC(which is a rescue dog site) and maybe someone from there might have something that would help. If you could pm me your email addy That would be great. Also try Midwest FreeCycle or FreeCycle Cambridge(there are tons of freecycle yahoogroups around). I threw a crib mattress out from my daughter about 5 months ago cause our dog chewed the mattress so had to get another one and i got ours through freecycle.

Hope you find something Its always rewarding to foster cause you get to watch the dogs get better and then be placed into forever homes :)

yvonnem
February 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Took Sarge to my regular vet 2 weeks ago because he just wasn't getting any better. She did some bloodwork and prescribed eye ointment, ear drops and penicillan ($422 later....)

She thinks he might have a heart murmer although it may simply be the respiratory infection that is causing the sound she is concerned about. She also was worried that the sinus infection was unusual in big dogs and might mean a tumor. The bloodwork came back with slightly elevated white blood count and Sarge was running a low-grade fever.

He was well behaved until she tried to look in his ears and then she said he snapped at her so she got a muzzle and we put it on him. Then she said she thought it was a dominance issue because she was looming over him.

When we got home and I was doing the ear drops, he did the same thing to me -- but it WASN'T a snap. All he did was pull his head back and open his mouth. Then he just froze and looked at me. I cannot squeeze the drops into his ears, but I can smear my thumbs with the drops and then stick my thumbs into his ears and massage. He is terrified of cotton balls but I can take an old pair of underwear (the cotton stuff, ladies -- you know the "old lady" kind) and stick that in his ears and he doesn't mind.

This past weekend he started turning his nose up at the mashed potatoes. For 2 days he didn't eat a thing! Then I cooked some chili and he seemed interested so I poured a little over some dry food and he ate it. Still couldn't get the pills into him. Next day he wouldn't eat the chili, so I tried some pasta and hamburger, which he ate. The next morning he wouldn't touch the stuff. Last night I pick up a little pouch of soft dog food in gravy, thinking that maybe its his teeth -- maybe it hurts to chew. He gulped that stuff down like he was starving (which he probably was). Then he ate some dry food softened with beef broth. But I don't know if it was because the food was good or because I had finally taken him out for a walk around the neighbourhood. My vet had told me not to take him out of the yard til he was feeling better as he was snorting big gobs of snot everywhere and she didn't think it would be good for other dogs in the neighbourhood. He loved the walk! He wanted to go even more but I was concerned that he would do too much and hurt his hips. Sarge won't eat dog cookies but he will eat soft cat treats.

Whatever he had, I don't think it was kennel cough -- Maple has been sharing food and water with him and no sign of any illness. And the snot is starting to dry up -- thank god! I have snot marks on every piece of furniture.

Over the weekend, Sarge was looking so sad when everyone else went downstairs to bed that TheBoy slept in the living room with the dogs. Last night, we went to bed and Sarge barked and cried at the top of the stairs until TheBoy went up and slept with him again.

Also last night we gave Maple an empty 2 liter pop bottle to play with and for the first time Sarge was interested in a toy -- up to now he has ignored balls, stuff toys, ropes, squeekies, all kinds of things. But he LOVES pop bottles. We finally had to take both bottles away because Sarge wants ALL the pop bottles and he will tuck his into a corner and then go after Maple's bottle. When he has both he will chew on one and hold the other in his armpit and I was afraid that someone would get hurt.

Sarge gets frightened when people raise their voices. He just backs away from whoever is making the noise but as soon as they stop, he comes forward and wags his tail til they tell him he's a good dog.

When TheBoy comes home Sarge waits til he sits down and then rubs his face all over TheBoy's face, neck and chest. He loves to cuddle. I slept with the dogs one night and he snuggled down and put his feet on my back and lay all night without twitching or scratching once.

We got some stuffed toys for Maple to play with and they smelled of smoke. I think Sarge's person must have been a smoker because he lay with an extra toy and just sniffed it and sniffed it. No one in the house smokes so I think it was the first time since being rescued that he has smelled cigarettes.

He's a good dog and he is smart. We've been trying to teach Maple "get into the other room" for months and Sarge picked it up in 2 days. Get into the other room means that a dish of something tasty is coming and if a dog gets his butt out of the kitchen he will get a treat. But he is stubborn -- he wants to go in the car and he wants to go with anyone who leaves the house -- and he will not listen to me saying "no".

Anyway, that's the update for Sarge. He weighed 108 pounds 2 weeks ago when we went to the vets. I think he has lost a few pounds over the last few days, but its coming back on now that I have some clue what he likes to eat.

Yvonne

mastifflover
February 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Well he is sounding like he is improving which is good. But he sounds like he is wanting to be the dominant one and you have to be strong and not allow him to push you. You are in charge and ignore the pathetic face because they know how to work that angle. I always muzzle Bud at the vets when he does his ears, he hasn't snapped at him but I won't take the chance of having my vet bit. Better safe then sorry. I hope that it is none of the things (tumor) that this boy has. But that would give a good reason for changes in habits, but then he could be just testing to see what he can get away with. By the way for cleaning slingers and probably snot I swear by Mr Clean Erasers they do not remove paint but clean everything they are great

Lucky Rescue
February 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM
yvonnem, you are a doggie angel. Thanks so much for showing this poor guy that there are kind and gentle people out there and that life can be good!!:)