Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog In Dire Need

bittsmom
January 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Just got a frantic call from my sister-in-law...het 6 yr.old dog was diagnosed with cancer (tumour in mouth)...that is cureable but to a cost of between $800.00-1,000.00... They are unable to afford this cost in one payment and the vet. where she took the dog does'nt have a payment plan... We have beern able as a family to come up with a couple of hundred dollars but at this time of year just after the holidays we are all a little in the minus collumn... This dog is like a child to my brother and sister-in-law...they have no children. If possible, does anyone out there know of a place where they can get help for this situation? They live in the Ottawa, Ontario area. This would be greatly appreciated....she has not stopped crying since she was told the bad news... If anyone can do something..anything...please reply ASAP...
Thank you loads,
bittsmom :love:

raingirl
January 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
There is Imom.org (www.imom.org) but I hear that they aren't taking any applications for assisstance right now anymore.

Is it possible to go to another vet that can do the procedure and offer a payment plan? That's the only solution I can think of.

Oh! If you live near a vet school, you might be able to get it done cheap there by students who are learning. If you are willing to drive a while, Guelph ontario has a vet school that is very good I hear, and you might be able to get it done there.

Here is a link for the UofGuelph teaching hospital:

http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/vth/

badger
January 5th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I thought of Guelph too but I just looked at their website, they charge, and no less than the average either. There's bound to be a foundation for animal welfare in your region that could help. Even the vet may be able to assist, not monetarily unfortunately, but with information. Get out the yellow pages! I hope everything works out.

bittsmom
January 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
thank you for replying so fast...we'll try other vets. and keep our fingers crossed...actually it's in God's Hands.... Thanks again,
bittsmom

mastifflover
January 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Where are you located? My vet gave me a payment plan I paid half up front and then made weekly payments. He is genuinely concerned about the animals

bittsmom
January 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
My brother and sister-in-law live in Ottawa, Ontario.... :confused:

glasslass
January 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM
This happened to my brother. His Akita had surgery, chemo, and radiation, costing $4000. His vet required $1000 down and let him pay the rest in payments. The really neat thing is that a group of his friends got together and held a benefit barbeque for Miko. Friends dropped envelopes into a jar containing whatever they wanted to give. I made a stained glass hanging which we raffled off. At the end of the day, we all raised over $1400 and had a terrific afternoon. Miko lived another 6 years with good quality of life. Be creative!

twinmommy
January 5th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I know that my vet in Montreal (Brossard) would be cheaper, DEFINITELY!! It's a vet school, and they are awesome. It's only a 2 hour drive for you in Ottawa, if you want email me with the specifics and I'll call for you first thing tomorrow morning. (They just closed--9:00 p.m.) or you can contact them yourself if you'd rather (I'd just thought I'd save you the long distance $$, keep the money for the sick puppy :)

Lori.ian@sympatico.ca

Taschereau Vet Clinic 450-465-6511 Dr Allan.

Lucky Rescue
January 5th, 2005, 09:56 PM
You can get a Care Credit Card (http://planc.carecredit.ca/quebec/anglais/index.htm) that can be used only at the vet.

Bugsy
January 6th, 2005, 01:07 AM
How about if she were to call her credit card company and ask them to raise her limit. Credit card companies will do this right away on the telephone. :thumbs up

LL1
January 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM
They could call Ottawa Humane and ask if they have any suggestions - or Charlene at Arnprior Humane - she's really nice and may have some ideas.

LL1
January 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Arnprior Humane - (613) 623-0916

Ottawa Humane - (613) 725-3166

or Kelli at the sanctuary - (613)673-2699

or Friends of Abandonned pets in Ottawa - 613-729-9820

They might know local resources.

bittsmom
January 7th, 2005, 03:54 AM
:love: Thank you so much, you guys, for caring. There should be more pet lovers out there....the world would'nt be such a mess... I will pass this on to my brother and his wife..... they do not have a computer.... she is unable to work ..they are on a very tight budget...but we can feel the love and sincere thoughts from all of you... I will keep you posted as to the turn of events....again, thank you :)
bittsmom