Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive Barking

lindsay79
January 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Hello,

I have an 11 month old puppy named Fonzi. He's a mixed breed, possibly Airedale Terrier/Border Collie/Lab mix and he suffers from Separation Anxiety and we give him one Clomicalm pill in the morning before we leave for work.

At night, he goes CRAZY! We play with him and let him run outside in our yard but when we bring him inside, he runs up and down the hallway and barks A LOT. One night last weekend, he even barked all night. I've tried ditracting him and telling him no, a muzzle (and he still managed to bark) and ignoring him (in case he's looking for attention). Whenwe tell him "Quiet" or "No" he barks in reply. What am I doing wrong???

Thank you for any help any of you can provide!!!

db7
January 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Stop drugging him and run him more.

lil_kirk
January 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM
The mix of breeds he is would stand to reason why he is so energetic. If you ask me he is not a suitable candidate for being home alone all day. Can you have a dog sitter or walker come and take him out to play during the day? It would seem to me that he simply is not getting the activity he needs. Collies and Terriers need a lot of play time--and running time. Does he go for long walks? Or do you simply let him into the yard alone to amuse himself?

I wouldn't recommend ignoring him--he gets ignored all day it seems...

Have you tried obedience training?

whinnie-boo
January 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I know most people will disagree with me, But.....

My Whin used to suffer from severe seperation anixety, though I never went to the extent of drugging her before I left in the morning, I tried everything else to help her with her issues. Nothing worked.....until......Whin had pups and we kept one from her litter. So, my recommendation is, stop the pills, and put that money to the good use of feeding another animal who can be your dogs companion. He won't be lonely while you're gone, and he'll have a playmate to play with & burn off all his extra energy. :crazy:
As for the playfullness at night, imagine how you would feel being drugged all day into a mellow state to keep you calm. I'd guess he'd be a little high strung once the drugs wear off, and he can physically burn the energy the drugs were stopping him from burning in the day. :confused:

lezzpezz
January 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Another suggestion to add to the frey: If you cannot manage a second dog, perhaps you can find a neighbourhood "buddy" for your dog to spend time romping with. I bring my neighbour's GS pup over at every opportunity because it is great for her, my dogs, the too-busy neighbour and for me, as the dogs tear around my fenced-in yard for about 2-4 hours and are absolutely pooped by the end of it all. I let them rest for little bits and then they go at it again! So much energy! Then there is snack time, water time etc. This works for me, as I can get some light chores accomplished, and they are all old enough to play safely together, mind you, I am within earshot/eyeball distance at all times. The neighbour thinks it's fabulous, as it frees up time for him to do renovations. Now, I add in the other neighbour's dogs (yup, 2 more!), and it's a fullfledged madhouse! And I LOVE it!! :thumbs up By 9 p.m., all of the dogs are fast asleep, and my hubby and I get some snugglin' in!! :love:

tenderfoot
January 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I like the neighboorhood dog play time idea better than adding another dog to the house. Mind you I am an advocate of multiple dog homes - but if you are having such a hard time managing him it could be ten times the problem if you add another. Though if you found a very mellow older dog that he adored it might work.
Do you have any doggie daycares in your area? They really are a god-send. He can play all day and will be exhausted for the evening.
In addition to those ideas, I would say increase exercise and work on your relationship. Have him on the leash when you are home with him. Give him lots of jobs to do - COMMUNICATE! He is going stir crazey and needs you more than ever. The leash allows you to correct the barking in the moment and gives you a reminder that you have a needy child in the house that craves your attention. The more you ask of him the happier he will be. His attention will be focused on you and not in out-of-control fits.
Muzzles don't teach and ignoring him really isn't effective in this situation. I would say that his barking back at you is like a child back-talking. He does not respect you as his parent/leader. The more you work with him (and he complies) the higher you go on the ladder. But if he blows you off or barks back then he is challenging you. Having him on the leash in the house places you in the leadership role and he is naturally the follower - where ever you go he has to follow, no discussion.
Also think about the food you are feeding. Some dogs are sensitive to additives and can act out like hyper active kids. A more natural, raw meat diet could make a huge difference, but do your research first so that you are doing it right.
It would be great if you could also work with the seperation anxiety so that you can get him off of the drugs. Drugs can be good for taking the edge off, but they don't teach. It would be healthier for him to deal with his issues and learn to feel safe alone, but that takes time, patience and effort on your part.

coppperbelle
January 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
First of all Clomicalm is similar to Prozac for people. It is by no means a tranquilizer. It works with training to reduce the stress in a dog, for example if the pet has separation anxiety or is afraid of thunderstorms. It is short term and is not the answer to the dogs problem.
I had a dog and still do that has separation anxiety. I tried Clomicalm with training. I did a lot of research, found out what I had to do and then spent hours upon hours working on her problem.
You don't mention what your dog is doing to make you suspect it has separation anxiety. It sounds as if he/she is just very hyper. If this is the only problem then it can be solved by exercising. A long/brisk walk in the morning and after you return home in the evening are essential. In addition let him run after a ball or toy either in the backyard or at a park. A dog park where he can play with other dogs will also tire him out. As the saying goes, "a tired dog is a good dog".
If you want some more ideas on how to help your dog overcome his separation anxiety, you can e-mail me.

:)

Lise
January 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I went through really bad separation anxiety many years with a border collie.The behaviorist I worked with explained it to me as an overly dependant relationship with me girl,so we had to work on giving her a life other than just me.Strengthening an overly dependant by having I can also the dog with you at all times will make it worse when you leave.Smart dogs need mental as well as physical outlets.I did flyball,but try agility,tracking ,obedience even herding.Find toys your dog can play with alone as well as with you.If you are interested I still have the info I was given that worked for her.E-mail if you want me to send it to you

animalhouse
January 19th, 2005, 09:33 AM
hi
i am fairly new here. But as i was reading on this instead of spending money on medication have you ever thought about doggie daycare. That way he is playing all day and being socialized, plus by the time you get him home he will be too tired to even think about barking.

mastifflover
January 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I think by giving him colicalm he is sleeping all day so he has twice the energy at night. Do you jog because if you do take him running with you play physical games, soccer, frisbee and plain fetch I used to play hide and go seek with one of my dogs. He really need to burn off a lot of energy. I really like the idea of agility or flyball and he would probably love it and during the week you can practice. Dogs love to have a job he will be so much happier if he has one.