Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sister's Dog ate chocolate today

db7
January 4th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Anyone with experience with Chocolate poisnoning out there? Just got a call from my sis. Her pooch, newly named Houdini, managed to open two gates in order to get upstairs where he found and devoured 10 ounces of Scharfenberger dark chocolate between 4 and 10 hours ago. He weighs 85lbs.

She spoke to the vet and was given pretty passive advice IMO. I'm not certain the vet was aware that this chocolate is so high in Cocoa fat. From what I just read it can be 10 times as toxic as your average chocolate bar.

From my calculations he ate somewhere near 80% of a lethal dose. He is hyper, thirsty, panting, hasn't vomited, hasn't lost motor control. Anyone out there been through this?

twodogsandacat
January 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I believe the policy here is not to give advice when a pets life is at risk. I have only attached the information below to hopefully convince you that this is life threatening.

Ignore the first vet go to an emergency clinic ASAP. Inducing vomiting is no longer an option >>> If more than a couple of hours have passed, the toxin will already be circulating in your dog's system

Chocolate Poisoning


-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate contains theobromine - a substance toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate contains more theobromine per ounce than semisweet chocolate, which, in turn, contains more theobromine than milk chocolate. While most lethal cases of chocolate poisoning occur when small dogs eat large quantities of baking chocolate, owners should nonetheless keep their dogs and chocolates well-separated.

If you witness your dog eating chocolate or if it shows any signs of chocolate toxicity (anxiety, pacing, hyperexcitability, excessive thirst and urination, vomiting, or seizures): call your vet immediately and tell him or her what type of chocolate your dog ate, how much you think it ate, how long ago it indulged itself, and how much your dog weighs.

If you find your dog within a couple of hours of ingesting the chocolate, your vet will either instruct you on how to induce vomiting or ask you to bring your dog to the clinic to have its stomach pumped.

If more than a couple of hours have passed, the toxin will already be circulating in your dog's system, so your vet will provide supportive therapy (such as intravenous fluids and drugs to control hyperexcitability) while your dog's body works to detoxify itself.

SOURCE:http://www.cah.com/dr_library/chocpois.html

db7
January 4th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I also told her to call the after-hours vet. She is doing that now. She has been dosing him with activated charcoal. He seems to be stable. Hyper, but stable.

twodogsandacat
January 4th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Good job DB7. Second opinions are always the best option. :thumbs up I went thru hell with a bad back and didn't want to insult the doctor.

My girlfriend didn't think that should be a concern. If she worried about some doctor's feelings I would of suffered for many months more than necessary. She sped up appointments and I finally had my surgery and am now feeling great. I learned my lesson - never sit back and let an expert tell you not to worry. Instinct isn't just for dogs and cats.