Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Man jailed for allegedly starving mother dog, puppies

heidiho
January 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
A Rimrock man is behind bars and facing two counts of animal cruelty after allegedly leaving a mother dog to starve in the hopes that she would eat her litter of puppies, the Yavapai County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday.

Yavapai Cty. Sheriff's Dept.
Danny Lane, 19, is facing animal-cruelty charges. The situation came to a head Jan. 2, when animal control officers received a call about a very thin and clearly neglected female dog. The pit-bull mix was known to Animal Control and had been out an about.

The officer who picked up the dog met a 14-year-old girl who told him that the dog belonged to her brother, Danny Lane. The teen also told the officer that Lane, 19, had been intentionally starving the dog, hoping that she would eat her eight puppies so he would not have to deal with them.

The mother dog and her puppies were locked in a motor home, the interior of which was covered in feces and urine, according to reports. Those same reports also state that the puppies, which are about 3 weeks old, had several open and weeping sores on their bodies in need of medical attention.

The witness told officers that she had been sneaking food and water to the dogs, despite threats from her brother.

During questioning, Lane admitted he had not seen or checked on the dogs in three days, and said he had not given them any thought because he was upset by relationship problems.

The dogs are being treated at Prescott's Mile Hi Animal Hospital. Because the mother dog's milk has dried up due to starvation, the puppies are being hand fed. All of the dogs are said to be doing well, and will be put up for adoption by the Yavapai Humane Society.

Lane is being held at the Prescott jail. He faces one charge of animal cruelty for abandonment and another for inhumane treatment.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.
Interactive

Sound off: Discuss this story

Stay in touch: Free Breaking News e-mails

Watch this: azfamily.com video archive

Slideshows: Photo galleries

Hotlines: Seen on NewsChannel 3

News tip

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Humans make me sick.

This poor Mom & her Babies. I'm very sorry if I'm discriminating against teenage boys, but, this is the reason you should need a license to own an dog or have a child. I can't ever imagine Whinnie hurting her Pups, no matter what I had done to her. This kid is twisted to think such things. I hope he was charged, and banned from ever owning another animal....A**HOLE
I know in Brampton & Toronto, a majority of the owners are like he is, and they are destroying MY dogs reputation, and MY freedom to own a wonderful animal, to look cool or protect illegal activities.
Then Bryant wonders why most owners aren't making a stink about the Ban, they don't want to attract attention to themselves to save their animals. If they drew attention, the authorities may notice the real laws being broken, and then they risk going to jail for thier crimes, instead of letting their poor dogs take the fall for attacking someone. This is also why rescues, shelters & the Humane Society are over-run with Pits right now.....They aren't scaring people anymore, now they are drawing attention. :mad:

heidiho
January 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
That is a really sick thing,ihope they do to..............What is wrong with people???I will never understand how someone can be cruel to an animal

Schwinn
January 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like every story that contains "Owner charged" happen OUTSIDE of Ontario? I'm just saying...

LL1
January 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
It's sick and I hope he pays for it. However, it is not that rare for a dog to harm their own pups. It happens. One of my dogs did this before she entered rescue and I adopted her, and I have read many similar stories.

Humans make me sick.

I can't ever imagine Whinnie hurting her Pups, no matter what I had done to her. This kid is twisted to think such things. I

heidiho
January 4th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Well this one is right in my state of Arizona :usa:

twodogsandacat
January 4th, 2005, 07:10 PM
No Schwinn Canada\Ontario doesn't seem too interested in animal abuse. Although animal abuse has been tied to some of the most sadistic murderers our government doesn't seem to get it. Also the penalties are way too light. If only Bryant had a clue. :clown: Six months for training a pit bull to fight, nothing for training any other breed just shows that Bryant's an idiot.

To see the connection visit pet-abuse.com (http://www.pet-abuse.com) you can also check for abusers and ocassionally a Canadian shows up. In fact it is one of the only spots I have ever felt ashamed to see a Canadian flag.

I am thrilled with the South Carolina Attorney General's Dog Fighting Task Force because they really take it to the dog fighters (if only one of them would point a weapon at a cop - I have no idea how cops manage to hold back the anger sometimes). :usa: It takes a real Attorney General to attack the real issues - ours is just a newspaper chasing punk.

As you know South Carolina recently convicted David Tant to thirty years for training and selling fighting dogs ( a good church going man by the way - right).

Bugsy
January 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM
The *bleep* *bleep* *bleep*..... I'd like to show him "relationship problems"http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/nutkick.gif

glasslass
January 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I don't doubt he has "relationship problems"! I hate to think how he will decide not to deal with those problems. Animal abuse is usually just a beginning! :mad: