Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sick cat

KarenJean
January 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM
My 13 year old cat is sick. She has been to the vet a lot. She has had blood tests, urine and stool tests, x-rays and a change in her food. The vet still cannot tell me what is wrong. They wanted to do exploratory surgery in Aug but wanted the $900 plus up front. I couldn't do the money all at once. Now she is too sick to do surgery. She vomits everything she eats or drinks. Her bowels are really lose and sometimes she doesn't quite make it to the litter box and ends up with poop on the carpets. She has lost a lot of weight, from 10.5lbs to 4lbs. She is on a low protein cat food, Hill's z/d, but what else can she eat? I don't know what do to about her. Can you help? Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
January 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I have no idea what is wrong with your cat, but at her age cancer is certainly a possibility, among other things.

Since she is too weak for surgery now, I really have to say I think the kindest thing would be euthanasia at this point. She is suffering and cannot be allowed to continue to suffer.

Supportive care at the vet may allow her to rally a bit, but without knowing the underlying cause of her illness, this would just be a temporary measure.

She is emaciated, (losing over half her body weight!!) no doubt very dehydrated and is losing control of bowels and bladder and it's now time to end her suffering. Please do not let this go on.

I'm very sorry to hear this.:(

Carina
January 4th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Oh, I am sorry. :(
I agree with LR...she sounds extremely sick, and extremely unhappy. It doesn't sound like there is anything you can do for her at this point....
I've been in your position and I know it is difficult. I really, really think the only kind thing is to let her go.