Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Seizure??

Ficety
January 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Hello, I have a 6yr old male Shih Zu who has a dime sized cyst on his head. I've taken him to the vet who withdrew fluid from it to test for cancer, etc. But the test doesn't show anything abnormal. That was approx. 6 mos ago, recently the area where the cyst is has opened and started to discharge fluid. We called the vet the weekend it happened and was told it wasn't necessary to bring him. We were told to clean the area and try to keep him from rubbing it. No small task. But we did and eventually the area closed on it's own and no more problems. Lately though, he has starting having what I think are seizures. When it happens his body kind of convulses and he makes this honking noise as if he's trying to catch his breath. After it stops, he seems drained, and doesn't move around much. I'm wondering if the two things are perhaps linked. Please help I don't know what to do for my little fella. We don't have much money, but I'll do what I have to.

Thanks

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Your dog needs to see a Vet A.S.A.P. :sick:

He could very well be having seizures, which may or may not be related to the cyst. Whether serious or not I'd get him to a doctor, if money is an issue, I'd try to find a vet that is willing to take payments over time.

Good Luck, let us know how your baby is...... :confused:

Karin
January 4th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Hello, I have a 6yr old male Shih Zu who has a dime sized cyst on his head. I've taken him to the vet who withdrew fluid from it to test for cancer, etc. But the test doesn't show anything abnormal. That was approx. 6 mos ago, recently the area where the cyst is has opened and started to discharge fluid. We called the vet the weekend it happened and was told it wasn't necessary to bring him. We were told to clean the area and try to keep him from rubbing it. No small task. But we did and eventually the area closed on it's own and no more problems. Lately though, he has starting having what I think are seizures. When it happens his body kind of convulses and he makes this honking noise as if he's trying to catch his breath. After it stops, he seems drained, and doesn't move around much. I'm wondering if the two things are perhaps linked. Please help I don't know what to do for my little fella. We don't have much money, but I'll do what I have to.

Thanks

I do not think the cyst has anything to do with the episodes you describe.

What you are describing sounds like a "reverse sneeze" with one exception, most dogs do not suffer any after effects following one.
With a seizure a dog will usually pass urine and sometimes defacate.
Small breeds are more prone to the reverse sneeze, and the breeds with small sinus cavities are even more prone. (Like the Shih Zu)

A vet visit could help ease your mind.

Ficety
January 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you both so much for your advice and expressions of concern, I really appreciate it. I'll be taking my lil fella to the vet as soon as they can get me in. Again, thank you so much....

whinnie-boo
January 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM
NO PROBLEM FICETY!!

Thats what we're all here for, I just wiah we could have been more help. Karin sounds like she may have hit it on the nose. I'd never heard of a "reverse sneeze" before. Hopefully, its nothing to be concerned about...or easily fixed. Either way, please let us know what the vet says when you see him.