Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

possible delivery problems?

grace_ferguson.
January 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
my dog was bred during her first heat, it wasn't expected to happen.Could being so young cause problems during delivery?

Lucky Rescue
January 3rd, 2005, 09:42 PM
What kind of dog do you have, and how old is she?

Karin
January 4th, 2005, 05:51 AM
my dog was bred during her first heat, it wasn't expected to happen.Could being so young cause problems during delivery?

Yes.... before, during & after.

mona_b
January 4th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Yes.... before, during & after.

Exactly...This is why it is so very important to spay.A dog can come into heat as early as 6 months.She is still a puppy herself.... :sad:

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM
My Whinnie came to me pregnant in her first heat - malnourished and underweight. I thought wow.....shes gaining weight so quickly....what a good job I must be doing. Until I'm at work one day and my Hubby calls and says something is wrong with Whinnie and I need to come home. 8 hours later, there were 7 of the most beautiful little things I have ever seen.
Accidents happen, but if they can be avoided, I opt for that. Whinnie still suffers problems from her delivery. I can't keep weight on her, it stunted her growth, her teeth could be so much better, and she could be 1000% healthier in general.
There is no guarantee that she will or will not have problems, but chances are very great that she may. Take it from me, its not a cheap venture, and it will end up costing you more for those pups then you will ever see in return from adopting them out. Check with your Vet, its hard to speculate when we don't know your dog, and most of us are not licensed to practice animal medicine. Best of luck to your little girl though...it's gonna be tough. Also, if she is going to whelp this litter, please make sure around her due date that she is not alone. A pup to give birth all alone, could be dangerous itself, and please read-up, chances are very great she'll push & hope you'll help her from there. She's quite young to know how to remove the sack & clean the pups until they breath on thier own. If Whinnie had of given birth on her own, I don't think one of the pups would have survived, her maternal instincts had not fully kicked in as she was still a baby herself. She is a great Mom now that its all over with, I just can't imagine how terrifying it was for her.
PM me if you have any questions, hopefully that helped.

sammiec
January 4th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Grace, you can still protect your pet from possible pain and suffering of delivering puppies that might never find a loving home they deserve. Please consult your vet about an emergency spay.

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Sammiec.....you missed that while you were away.... Boo was not pregnant, she had an infection in her uterus caused by coming into heat late & the fact that she mostly rely's on her mom to keep her clean.
Boo has already had her date set for spay.....Jan 7th, 2005
It would have been sooner, but couldn't because she was on antiboitics. :thumbs up

sammiec
January 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
OMG. :sorry: I searched posts and I guess I got confused. I am sorry! Is Whinnie now spayed?

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Whinnie was done before Christmas, as I managed to find a new Vet willing to work out Payment plans as long as I don't go overboard. With the check-up, ultrasound, antiboitics & Whin's spay....Boo coming up....I'm getting close to going overboard. Not to mention, I have the cats that I'd like to have him check out now too.
Slowly, but surely, its all coming together. Expensive venture these kids are, but so worth it!!

sammiec
January 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Where's the thread about Boo?? - so I can catch up... and maybe get my foot out of my mouth...

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I checked around, I think its under the Rescue/adopt a pit-bull threads or animals for adoption.