Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Only pottie trained at home?

SarahLynn123
January 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
Belle was at my parents for new years because I was out of town, and she peed and pooped all over there floor! (carpet of course!) They all work shift work so someone was there with her at all times. Shes a very quiet dog and doesn't ask to go out, but at home will hold it until someone takes her out. She was at the doggies den the weekend before and did this to them aswell although not as bad from what I understand. She has done this when we are just visiting my parents and Im there the whole time and take her out regularly. Pet stores are another favorite toilet!

Has anyone else had these problems or any ideas on how to correct them.

Thanks

BMDLuver
January 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
do not adjust to changes in the environment very well. It can result in upset stomachs and having accidents all over the place. Although they know all the people, they worry and this causes them to be somewhat incontinent. Our Collie/husky never did well anywhere but at home or visiting if we were there. We opted to get a dogsitter after a few failed visits. Perhaps Belle is the same way.

tenderfoot
January 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
I am not sure your parents were being as attentive as they might have thought- I know my mother thinks she is being alert, but the reality is very different. OR they may just not be aware of her when she asks to go out.
She sounds like she was re-soiling old smelly spots and that was what might have happened at the Doggie Den aswell. She could be exerting ownership on the house and/or just knows she can get away with it there. At home it sounds like she is pretty good, so it really is about managing her better when she is at other places. When you take her to visit at your folks, I would simply keep her on the leash and treat her like a puppy. If she can't stay housetrained at your folks then she gets treated like a puppy who can't be trusted. You can use this opportunity to re-teach her house manners. Or go to your folks home with the intention of watching her like a hawk and let her try to potty and then catch her in the act and correct her and then get happy and take her outside and stay with her until she potties again and praise the heck out of it.
Again, it's like a teenager with the car keys - if he is not able to manage himself when I am not there then I take the keys back and we work on his driving together until he can prove to me that he can handle it.

SarahLynn123
January 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
do not adjust to changes in the environment very well. It can result in upset stomachs and having accidents all over the place. Although they know all the people, they worry and this causes them to be somewhat incontinent. Our Collie/husky never did well anywhere but at home or visiting if we were there. We opted to get a dogsitter after a few failed visits. Perhaps Belle is the same way.

This sounds alot like her. After her first weekend away we took a trip to the vets, she was so stressed out that she got sick. (It was her first time ever away from me since adopted a few months ago)

I will start treating her like a puppy when visiting others houses, that should fix this little problem when Im around.

In pet stores though, she is on a shortleash at all times and everytime she will squat and pee. Could she just be covering other scents? or is this a big problem.