Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Animals in need after tsunami

sammiec
January 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Due to the horrific natural disaster that has hit South Asia, there are people and animals in need. As people, there are animals that require necessities such as vaccinations, veterinary care, food, shelter, etc.

BUT, on a lighter note it has been reported in the early stages of the relief effort - no animals were reported to have lost their lives! It's assumed that the animals have a sixth sense and were able to sense the impending danger!!

animals sixth sense (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6765999/)

glasslass
January 3rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
One of the first reports I read quoted one relief worker as saying bodies were all mixed up with debris and dead animals. I'm sure that there were many pets trapped in homes. I hate to even think about it! :sad:

db7
January 3rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
I read that for 3-4 days before the earthquake the local fisherman were catching 20 times their usual amount.

I also saw a guy on TV, legit scientist, that was predicting earthquakes in San Fran by reading the classified ads! There is an exponential increase in lost and found pets in the weak leading up to the earthquake. His theory is that dogs can sense changes in the earth's magnetism.

jjgeonerd
January 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Below is a link to a couple instances of succcessful earthquake prediction in China in the 1970s. One of the precursors was "strange animal behavior" (although my dog always acts strange) :)

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/EarthquakePredictionChina.html

To date these are still the only examples of successful EQ prediction. Scientists within the US (and elsewhere I'm sure) have looked into the "strange animal behavior" theories with very little success. There are many documented instances of EQs happening without any "strange animal behavor"...a lot in S. California. They may sense it sometimes, but it is very unreliable and has pretty much been abandoned in the west. I personally wonnder if China actually predicted anything...communist states aren't exactly known for being truthful?!?

I would seriously doubt the guy in San Francisco. Most likely he is picking out trends AFTER an EQ in local newspapers that were printed just before it happened. You can see anything you want in hindsight...especially if your specifically looking for it. There are probably several things that cause an increase in the number of strays in a region...large damaging storms, fireworks displays (holidays), etc.

Anyways..just some random info. about animals and earthquakes for the thead. :thumbs up

Schwinn
January 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
The house I grew up in burnt down, and my grandfather had said for the two days prior, the cat kept running out the front door (which he never did) when he would leave. It turned out to be an electrical fault, and started in the walls.

glasslass
January 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM
When we had the Loma Prieta earthquake in Northern Calif in 1989, I was just getting ready to leave work. While there was no damage in Modesto, we definitely felt it. I rushed home thinking Den-Den and Puss-Puss would be freaked out. They were both napping peacefully on my bed when I got there.

Karin
January 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
We are still coping with displaced animals from the hurricanes that hit here in September. My vet has many feral cats up for adoption...feral should not even apply, these cats (& kittens) are so thankful, they tamed right away.

I have a scruffy terrier mix running around here for the past few months too. We know he is camped in the woods behind the resort, he comes out at night to raid the place of any food he can find. We do leave food out for him..I got very close to him last night. He wants to be near someone, but is very traumatized. He also is wearing a leather collar. Ciara & I made up our minds a few night ago, if we can entice him to trust again, he has a home.
(If someone is not already looking for him, could be microchipped) He is neutered & was groomed before the storms, this is obvious. Now he is very scruffy! I've been working on this pup for months., getting closer every day. Ciara watches from her window, acting like the mother hen she is. He eats twice a day here, and come to find out a few other meals from others! It show's too, he's getting fat & slower for a stray..

We are in love..