Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is this? If anything?

Daisy's Owner
January 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
I noticed Daisy has black spots on the roof of her mouth. They don't look like anything growthy or bad or anything like that, they just look like spots, like Dalmation spots on the skin. And that's about as technical as I get. :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about them, or at least they don't look like something I should be concerned about. I'm just curious.

Schwinn
January 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Maybe they're warning spots.

"If you can see these, you are about to be eaten!"

whinnie-boo
January 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
I have heard so many stories about what these spots are.......and honestly, I don't believe one. Whin & Boo both have spots in their mouths, my moms Lhasa has them all over the roof of his mouth and on his belly. The vet has never said a word about them.
I wouldn't be worried, but, just check with the vet next time you have a scheduled check-up.

Sneaky2006
January 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Yukon has black spots in his mouth too... *I heard* that means he's a pure pitty, but that doesn't seem too reliable.

Bugsy
January 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Here's a link with a little info on this. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/tonguespots.html

sammiec
January 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Briggs has spots on the roof of her mouth as well.

I think Bugsy's post is pretty good. Most dogs just have different colour pigments. Briggs has some black claws and some white claws... and some pads on her feet are white while some are black. No big cause for concern.

mesaana
January 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Hello

It most likely is just that, extra pigmentation. Nothing to worry about. And it doesn't mean anything in terms of lineage.

But since I don't know how old Daisy is, I'll just add this: if she's a bit older and these spots are new, or you notice them getting bigger, they deserve to be checked out. Dogs get melanomas just like humans do and they are often found in the mouth.

Lyne

whinnie-boo
January 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
We can spend hours speculating:

1 - I heard spots mean imbreeding in the genes (not true)
2 - I heard it is the pigmentation (most probable answer)
3 - I heard it means your dog is a pure bred (to vaste an explaination)
4 - I heard it means your dog will go nuts (highly doubt it from my mom's lhasa)

Regarding the Pit-bull post about being Purebred. I always check when I meet a new Pit, and it has yet to fail me. Please check on Yukon and let me know. Purebred Pitbulls have 5 moles on their heads:
2 - Beside the eyes (one on each side)
2 - On the cheeks or lower jaw (one on each side)
1 - Under the chin (in the middle)
Both of my girls do, everyone of Whin's Pups do, and everyother Pit I've checked does. Was just wondering if anyone found anything different?????

Daisy's Owner
January 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Pigmentation. That was the word I was trying to think of.

Maybe they're warning spots.

"If you can see these, you are about to be eaten!"

HA HA HA! I Love it! Can I use it?

Schwinn
January 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone. Pigmentation. That was the word I was trying to think of.

HA HA HA! I Love it! Can I use it?

Feel free!

As for the pitbull thing, Daisy has one on the side of her chin under the jaw. She's a rotti-pit cross.

chico2
January 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
When I brought Chico(black cat) in to the vet for the very first time(6yrs ago),she said the only thing that bothered her about him were the black spots in his mouth and that they could lead to cancer.
Well,they still look the same as when I got him,so I am not worried :D

glasslass
January 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Maybe chico is a pittyX feline?! :D

mona_b
January 4th, 2005, 01:50 AM
My Yukon had one on the roof of his mouth and on his tongue.

Hey chico,Phoenix has one on the roof of her mouth....Looks kind of cute... :D

Daisy's Owner
January 4th, 2005, 06:48 AM
2 - Beside the eyes (one on each side)
2 - On the cheeks or lower jaw (one on each side)
1 - Under the chin (in the middle)

Daisy has the five of them, but she's an amstaff X.

chico2
January 4th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Well,I wonder sometimes,Chico is awfully bossy..although he's the smallest of my cats :evil: