Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jack Russell - lack of apetite since NY

Spiron
January 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Hello all!

This post is bound to have lots of spelling errors, I hope this isn't too hard to read (I'm dutch speaking).
Our 11 month old female Jack Russell has been acting really weird since New Years Eve. We had a party at our house (she's accustomed to that) and after that we left to party in a club. She was tired from all the attention and had retired to her sleeping spot on the couch when we left. Up untill that she acted normal.
When I came back at around 4 am she was standing at the gate of the driveway, which was unusual since she normally sleeps very tight and is a bit scared to go out alone at night (when she does she barks alot with her head through the doggydoor first as if to scare of anything out there first). She was very energetic, jumping up and down breathing heavy.
I wanted to give her some food, but she refused to eat. I put here back in her sleeping spot, but she kept on jumping out, wanting to go upstairs to our bedroom. I tried to get her back there, but there was no use. She slept on the covers, trying to find a sleeping position for half an hour, then she finally settled down and slept.
Next day she wouldn't eat from her 'dry' food, nor her 'wet' food. She would eat some things we eat though, but not everything. Things like ham would be eaten, but everything else she'd turn away from. She slept nearly the whole day, but when we took her for a walk she was energetic as ever. Sometimes she sits on the couch next to us and makes 'peeping' sounds. It's weird and I don't know what's wrong or how I can make her feel okay. She drinks normally though and goes out alone.
Now she's very thin, she plays but not as energetic as she used too (think her energy level is very low atm). She just looks very sad and it breaks my heart. We called the vet and he told us not to worry, but I thought I'd better check here too.
Maybe something scared her? I was thinking fireworks, but there were some today and she just ignored those. Anyone have an idea what's going on and what can be done?

Thanks,
Johan

Copper'sMom
January 3rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Did she eat too much people food at the party? Was there food or drink left out that she could have gotten into while you were out?? Is she vomitting or has diarrhea?

You say she looks thin. Did she lose weight over the last 3 days??

sammiec
January 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
Those are good questions.

I don't mean to offend, but do you think that someone might have given her alcohol at the party? or maybe someone was doing drugs and thought it would be funny. I am not trying to hurt your feelings or anything, but it does happen.

If this might be the case I would take her to the vet and describe what could of happened. Maybe a blood test or soemthing could confirm that and then steps could be taken to make sure she's alright.

Does she eat normally? Sleep? Drink water?

Spiron
January 3rd, 2005, 02:35 PM
She did get some food from the table at the house-party, but only some slices of meatball. No alcohol or drugs were given, we were eight people sitting at the table (so not a party-party, more a dinner-party) and they all love the dog, so they wouldn't do such things.
With her looking thin I mean: her tummy is really empty. She has lost a little weight, but purely to not eating. She's not vomiting, but her poo looks weird. When she poos it's orange/yellow and it's very little in quantity.
She drinks normally, sleeps alot and so far she only wants to eat slices of cooked pork meat (the ham I referred to).
Our vet thinks she was frightened by something and we should wait a few days to see what happens.

whinnie-boo
January 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Your dog only weighs a few pounds, and a few days of not eating can't be good. Personally, I would call another Vet in your area, and see what they say.
You know your dog better then anyone, and if you are concerned, I'm pretty sure theres reason to be concerned. I disagree with the statement "something may have scared her, just give it a few days"
She may not have that long on water.....If she will eat the Ham, keep giving it too her, its better then nothing.
But, I'd get a second opinion.....Good luck :confused:
Please let us know the outcome

CyberKitten
January 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
She could very well have eaten something even though you did not notice it. Perhaps someone dropped crumbs unintentionally of something and she ate it. What about chocolate? Did anyone have any at the party? Was it served? Coffee? There are several things animals should not eat that makes them ill. I can't understand why your vet did not do blood work. Perhaps someone dropped medication?

This things can all happen and do in the homes of people who truly love their pets and are wonderful caregivers. I think you should get a second opinion when there has been so dramatic a change. You know your dog!

Good luck - I hope your pooch feels better soon!

Lucky Rescue
January 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
She drinks normally though and goes out alone.
Could she have gotten something outside?

And even people who love animals don't always know what's good for them. My mother in law loved dogs but once gave my dog a huge sausage that made him sick all night.

She slept on the covers, trying to find a sleeping position for half an hour, then she finally settled down and slept.
Sometimes she sits on the couch next to us and makes 'peeping' sounds

To me this sounds like she is in some discomfort. I'm surprised your vet didn't suggest bringing her in. I would take in her. Dogs can get blockages from eating things. This is very serious and it's always better to be safe than sorry!
You know your dog and know when something is wrong or you wouldn't have posted here.

And ham and pork are not good things to be feeding dogs.

By the way, your English is just fine.:)

Copper'sMom
January 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
If her poop is ABNORMAL looking, take a sample in to the vet. If the quantity is not normal, she may have eaten something (toy) she shouldn't have and she may be constipated(uncomfortable for her) or have a blockage internally. I would take her to a vet!

Carina
January 3rd, 2005, 05:05 PM
If a dog has a blockage/obstruction (could be a piece of undigested cooked bone, part of a toy, etc) they won't necessarily be tremendously sick, but will often have diarrhea and be quite uncomfortable. Sometimes it will take weeks before the dogs really does get ill, because air & fluid can build up around the item over time. Often the dog will throw up too, depending where the blockage is.

If you listen to her tummy by putting your ear there, what does it sound like? There should be quite a lot of gurgling and noise; this is normal.

Or, like LR said....she may have inadvertently eaten something poisonous....chocolate, too much cooked fat, macadamia nuts, raisins...?

Feeding small meals of mushy cooked rice and boiled meat can help soothe a tummy and sometimes will help things pass through, if she is constipated. But honestly, I would take her to your vet at this point - I can't believe the vet said not to worry! I'd worry, especially with a small, young dog.

Karin
January 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Ham & pork are a no no like LR said...it's a never thing. While we animals lovers include our pet's into everyday life, there are restrictrions. I have loved my pet so much before I almost killed her .
Ciara is my counterpart but her menu differs from mine. (I now cook for her, I may be dining with her from now on)

I love pork but it is not good for humans either.

Spiron
January 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Hey all,

thanks for all the replies! First of all: she's still in the same condition, waking up three-four times last night sitting next to the door which leads to the stairs (to our bedroom) scratching and begging to join us in the bedroom.
I will take her to the vet tonight though (with poo and urine samples).
As far as other things she might have had to eat on the party:
There was a bowl of mixed nuts (including peanuts, raisins and some other stuff that I don't know the english names of), bowls of olives and chips and so on... so it's possible she had some of those. I'm checking with all the people if they gave her some.

I'll keep you posted on what the vet says...

Thank you,
Johan

whinnie-boo
January 4th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Good Luck Spiron!!

Spiron
January 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hi all!

Just popping online to tell you Joka is back to normal. Nothing was found at the vets; she probably ate something wrong at some point though, so we will be extra carefull with what she eats from now on.

Is there an online list with what a dog can/shouldn't/cannot eat?

Thanks for the help all!

J.