Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sleeping Kitty incontinence

itzazoo
January 3rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
I have an un-nuetered, young male, indoor cat who is having a problem 'dribbling' while he is sleeping and 'dreaming'. He is not marking, does not have a UTI and no problem using the box when he's awake. This reminds me of a child who wets the bed at night, but in his case, it's where ever he's sleeping at the time and only while actively dreaming. The only advice I've heard was valium to reduce his dreaming, but won't drug my cat. (Cat with a monkey on his back?!?!) Hope some one has better advice or a ray of hope that he might outgrow it.
itzazoo!

whinnie-boo
January 3rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Maybe he's having bad dreams???????? I've never heard of this before, but, the little guy has to be uncomfortable waking up like that. Poor thing.
I wish I had a suggestion for you. Did the VET tell you Valium would work?

Carina
January 3rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
I once had a young male Rottie do this - he wasn't yet neutered, I think he was about a year old.
The vet found nothing wrong with him, and put him on a very short course of female hormones....it worked. He was neutered shortly thereafter & never had that problem again.
Valium sounds like it would make it worse instead of better! Since he's only dribbling when he's asleep & relaxed....valium would just make him more relaxed.
Have you actually had him at the vet for a check up? If it's hormonal, neutering might be a cure....wouldn't hurt to get him neutered any how. Healthier in the long run.

sammiec
January 3rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
I am not really sure what could be causing this but DO NOT give your animal ANY drugs unless prescribed by the vet!!

Lucky Rescue
January 3rd, 2005, 02:33 PM
YEs, please get him neutered. If you don't, he'll be spraying in the house and you'll have another problem - a big one this time - not to mention being out creating kittens!

itzazoo
January 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, a vet recommended valium. Don't worry, I don't believe in drugging my pets. That's the second time I've heard that. The first was when the first pet I ever owned (spayed long haired female calico cat) was acting out her dissatisfaction when I went off for work (tearing the house apart). Her vet also wanted to prescribe her valium. No way, we adopted her a spayed female dog instead. They loved each other and never had any more problems with her (or the dog) until they passed away. Will go ahead and have him neutered asap, as he is almost six months old, maybe that will help but can't hurt...
thanks,
itzazoo!