Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Too young for outside?

TWilson9498
January 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM
I just want to know if anyone would know if it is unsafe to let my chi puppy go outside during the day, not for long, just for a short time. She sees my kids go out and play, it's 75-80 degrees here in the middle of the day, and she wines at the door to go with them. I figured she was too little but I thought I would ask.... She is now right at 5 weeks old, so I doubt it would be safe, even though it's not cold or windy outside at all... What do you think?

TWilson9498
January 2nd, 2005, 12:00 AM
This is Tiny, on Christmas morning, stealing my daughter's ball and running like crazy :)

LavenderRott
January 2nd, 2005, 12:04 AM
What a cutie!

With one this young, I think I would keep her in. She hasn't had her shots yet and one serious illness would be all it would take.

Cinnabear
January 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
I would let her out in your yard for awhile. I don't think she will get sick because of the weather, it's not like she will freeze outside. Just keep a close eye on her when she is outside, because they are little houdinis when left unattended.

TobsterMom
January 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't let her outside until she's vaccinated.

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
Do not take a 4 week old puppy outside. Parvo can live in the soil for months, and and this tiny puppy wouldn't have a chance and would die if exposed.

TWilson9498
January 2nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
I decided to keep her inside until she has her shots. I bought a mini pom about 4 years ago, after paying 650 for the puppy, and being told he had his shots, he came down with parvo. That was not a very fun ordeal, nor was it cheap. Sad thing is, he survived it and was stolen or let out when someone broke into our house 3 weeks later, :mad: so I know about the whole parvio thing, and don't want to take that chance again... Thank you all for your replies, you guys answer things so quickly! I appreciate that. I don't know why I didn't think about the parvio incident before! :) She'll just have wine for now, and wait until she's a little bigger. :)

LavenderRott
January 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Now would be a great time to start looking for an X-pen or something similar to keep her contained to a small area that you can monitor while she is outside. I wouldn't let her run loose with the kids until she is much bigger. Little feet running around don't always watch where they are going and tiny dogs might get stepped on.

mona_b
January 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
I'm glad to hear you decided to keep her inside.... :)

She's a cutie....Do you have any close up pics of her?

CyberKitten
January 2nd, 2005, 11:03 AM
She IS a cutie and I am happy she will be indoors. Good for you!! Allowing a puppy that small who really should be with her mother is rather like letting a small child - unvaccinated - to attend child care. It's asking for problems! She'll have lots of outdoor time when she is old enough!

TWilson9498
January 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
I will have some more pictures of her, up closer as soon as I get them back from the store. Also while I'm thinking about this, the other day when I saw the worms in her stool, I've watched her really close yesterday and so far today, and she hasn't had any more worms.. is that common? I mean she has went quiet a few times since that night I noticed them, and that was the first time I had ever seen them, and the last...

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2005, 02:24 PM
Tapeworms do not go away by themselves even if you don't always see them.

As has been said, make sure you use medication from a vet for this, and never use medication from a pet store.

chico2
January 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
TWilson,I don't mean to be rude,because I certainly write tons of mistakes,I just got a chuckle when you said"she'll just have wine from now on"lucky dog:crazy: I know what you meant by the way :D

Karin
January 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't let her outside until she's vaccinated.

Good point, dogs (and cats) are not considered protected until 3-4 weeks following their final vaccination.

Another consideration for the wee one, and I have seen this happen too. Birds of prey, hawks, owls, falcons & eagles...(we have them all here) are lightning fast at swoping down to grab a meal for their nestlings. They do hunt by day also. Nesting season is coming soon. I have seen a full grown Chihuahua snatched and a client lost her Yorkie this way also. Both of these were with owners present! Please do not leave her unattended and if you get an out side playpen, make sure the top is covered. Netting works good.

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Birds of prey, hawks, owls, falcons & eagles...(we have them all here) are lightning fast at swoping down to grab a meal for their nestlings. They do hunt by day also.

Excellent point, if you live in an area frequented by raptors! A toy breed dog is an easy meal for them, and all of them except owls hunt by day.

TWilson9498
January 2nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
Well, I never thought about a bird swooping down and carrying her off! Good point, something I will certainly remember. I am still going to take her to the vet for the worms, I just didn't understand why I had only seen them once and that was it. I thought tape worms would be bigger, shows how much I know about worms. :) Tape or not, she's going to the vet to be checked and get meds. I didn't give her anything over the counter, I hear those don't work well anyway, and she's so young I was too afraid to do so. We have an old play pen that is now her new home, since she can't seem to stay out of things she doesn't need to have! That is more than plenty room for her anyway. She seems to like it, other than the occasional pout to chase my son down the hall and hide under his bed. :) She's doing really well though, to be so small without her mother. One last question about her and I should know all I need to know... What is the best type of food to be feeding her? I spoke with a vet tech who told me I could use wet dog food, mashed up, with milk. Put it in the microwave long enough to get the chill out, stir it so its like semi-thick gravy. She eats it like crazy, but is that the best? Its Pedigree puppy, but it just seems like there is something better out there that can keep her healthier than just plain ol can food, ya know?

twinmommy
January 2nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
You seem like you are giving her great care so far, please get a human grade dog food for her. Something that you could sctually eat yourself if you had to.
There are lots of great brands, Wellness, Solid Gold, Nutro's, to name a few.

She's a real cutie! Congratulations!

Karin
January 2nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Well, I never thought about a bird swooping down and carrying her off! Good point, something I will certainly remember. I am still going to take her to the vet for the worms, I just didn't understand why I had only seen them once and that was it. I thought tape worms would be bigger, shows how much I know about worms. :) Tape or not, she's going to the vet to be checked and get meds. I didn't give her anything over the counter, I hear those don't work well anyway, and she's so young I was too afraid to do so. We have an old play pen that is now her new home, since she can't seem to stay out of things she doesn't need to have! That is more than plenty room for her anyway. She seems to like it, other than the occasional pout to chase my son down the hall and hide under his bed. :) She's doing really well though, to be so small without her mother. One last question about her and I should know all I need to know... What is the best type of food to be feeding her? I spoke with a vet tech who told me I could use wet dog food, mashed up, with milk. Put it in the microwave long enough to get the chill out, stir it so its like semi-thick gravy. She eats it like crazy, but is that the best? Its Pedigree puppy, but it just seems like there is something better out there that can keep her healthier than just plain ol can food, ya know?

Please do not give her milk, she would benefit at her age with some puppy milk replacer mixed with a high quality puppy chow (soaked) .
Plain cows milk will give her the runs. Also keep Karo syrup on hand. Hypoglycemia from stress is a sudden onset. Just a tab on your finger..applied to her gums should help. Only when needed. Also do not microwave anything right now, it destroys the nutrients that she needs right now. Antibodies are destroyed by microwaving. Hold off if you can.

I would give her a small, comfortable box or crate, a stuffed animal will help for comfort. She is too young to have a free range. (Young grasshopper!)

Smooches to the wee one!

TWilson9498
January 2nd, 2005, 09:32 PM
Where do I get the puppy milk replacer, from the vet or at the store? When I change her food, I need to change it gradually, right? To avoid making her sick... She hasn't has an upset stomach, but that's not to say she won't. When I got her, I don't even think she was with her mother much, the mother and father were outside in a fence and the 3 puppies were in a box (about the size of 2 tissue boxes, with a small dishrag) Quiet sad actually. It was around 30 degrees out and getting colder when I got her, I don't know how the mother and father were surviving out there, to be so small. I did call the Humaine society here and left a message since there were apparently closed for the holidays the day after I got her, to put in a report about the other dogs left outside. I never did get a call back from them, but I will try to call again tomorrow when I know they will be open. I think someone should put the lady outside in the dark cold night in pen the size of my table and see how she likes it! :evil:

Karin
January 2nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
You can get PMR from the vet already premixed or by powder, that you mix.
Esbilac is one trade name. Petsmart I think carry's it too. It is not an Rx .
Any time you change a food with a sensitive system like in a puppy, do it gradually, but with your little snort, changing to a PMR & soaked puppy chow should be okay. Small amounts!
Dogs get tapeworms from ingesting fleas or eating infected moles or squirrels. (The latter, I doubt!) To a young puppers they can cause harm, follow your vet's direction, otherwise you are doing great..keep up the good work...

Follow up with another call to your HS, they do get bogged down during the holidays.

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
but I will try to call again tomorrow when I know they will be open.

Thank you! Please don't give up - these poor babies have no one to help them.:(