Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

****zu puppy

shelleydavidson
January 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM
My 4 month old shihtzu likes to eat her poop as well as my other dogs poop.. anyone have any suggestions to why she is doing this......

BMDLuver
January 1st, 2005, 12:52 PM
they taste yummy to her. Some dogs grow out of this, others need a supplement added to their and any other pets meals to discourage it. Here's an article about it.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1613&S=1&SourceID=47

Lucky Rescue
January 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM
This is a very common thing. You can break this habit by keeping her on leash when she goes, and teaching her the "Leave it" command.

Sneaky2006
January 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM
When we first adopted our pup he ate his poop every chance he got, but now that we changed his food he hasn't touched another pile. He was on very crappy food before and I think he was missing something in his diet and he knew it. What kind of food is she eating?

meb999
January 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
I'm no expert, but we put meat tenderizer ( I think it's called Adolph's meat tenderizer) in our bichon puppies food when they developped this gross habit. The poo eating stopped right away. It makes it taste bad. Also, I believe there is a product on the market to help stop this habit. It's called 'Forbid'
As for other pet's poo, you could sprinkle it with hot pepper (don't let your dog see you do this) or spray it with bitter apple.
Good luck!

DogsforJen
January 24th, 2005, 11:02 AM
My shih pup is now 6 years old. At a month or two old, she realized that it was a tasty treat. :yuck: However, I was told that it was just a stage that a lot of puppies go through and she did eventually get over this stage. It did not happen over night. The best way we found to curb the temptation was that once she was fully trained to go outside we'd stand at the door and call her in immediately after doing her business. Good luck, and just keep in mind that this will pass.