Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tiny

TWilson9498
January 1st, 2005, 12:46 AM
I recently bought a 4 wk old chihuahua, I noticed today for the first time, that she had small maggot like worms in her stool. First, what type of worm is that? And second is there an over the counter medicine I can give her without taking her to the vet. I know I have to take her for her shots, but I can't get an appt. for 2 more weeks, and I need this taken care of ASAP. And lastly, is this dangerous to her or my children who are 6,4,and 3 mos? Some people say if it can make the children sick, is that true? Any reply would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2005, 12:56 AM
Where on earth did you get a 4 week old puppy!?! This poor thing should still be with it's mom and siblings!

Any medications are nothing to mess around with when dealing with a puppy this young. A trip to the vet is extremely important.

Whether or not your children can get whatever type of worms your pup has, well, most worms are transmitted through fecal matter. I would imagine your children are not playing with fecal matter.

Bugsy
January 1st, 2005, 01:01 AM
I suggest you call the vet where your appointment is scheduled & mention the current situation with your pup. They will be able to answer all your questions and surely give you an earlier appointment or refer you to a vet where this pup can be seen earlier. Do not self-medicate the puppy!

FYI... 4 weeks is way to early for this pup to have been severed from it's mom.

BMDLuver
January 1st, 2005, 07:15 AM
Where on earth did you get a 4 week old puppy!?! This poor thing should still be with it's mom and siblings!

Any medications are nothing to mess around with when dealing with a puppy this young. A trip to the vet is extremely important.

Whether or not your children can get whatever type of worms your pup has, well, most worms are transmitted through fecal matter. I would imagine your children are not playing with fecal matter.

As it's a puppy and it does it's business around the house, speaking from experience with small children who watch you pick up the presents, they actually try and help by doing the same. Your vet will fit you in if the puppy has worms. Chi's are very delicate creatures and messing with over the counter drugs (which are quite useless) can result in seriously harming something so tiny with a small body weight. I would also have to add that whomever you bought this 4 week old Chi from is irresponsible and not a legitimate breeder. :yuck:

TWilson9498
January 1st, 2005, 09:38 AM
The reason I bought her at 4 weeks was because someone at work told me about this lady who had the puppies and she was going to throw them in the trash if someone didn't come get them. When I heard that, I couldn't let them go to the trash so myself and 2 co-workers bought the puppies. She refused to give them up for free, so we did what we had to do to save them.. But I agree, it is way too young! But I would rather the puppy be alive and too young than dead in the trash, ya know?
Thanks for all your help, I'll see about finding another vet to take her to until I can get to my regualr one in 2 weeks.

TobsterMom
January 1st, 2005, 09:43 AM
If you phone your vet, and explain your situation and the type of worm, they may give you a liquid de-wormer until you get in. People bring in small puppies and kittens to us all the time and we give them a bit of this to tide them over. Not all services need an appointment or require payment. Explain your story, I'm sure they'll be glad to help! It's another 2 weeks til this puppy can be vaccinated, so you don't want him to suffer with worms that long.

glasslass
January 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM
I have to say that my vet, who I think is absolutely wonderful, would fit me in under these circumstances. I would just take that poor little puppy in and sit in the waiting room.

Also, I know the temptation to allow the children to hold this baby, but please don't do it! He is much too frail yet for handling by children. When he's 4 mos, they'll still have to be extremely careful and supervised. You also won't have to worry about the puppy licking them in the mouth when they try to kiss him!

Lucky Rescue
January 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
A Chi puppy this young is VERY susceptible to hypoglecemia and must be fed VERY often, probably 6 times a day.

Keep him very warm and do not let kids handle him. What you saw in the stool are likely tapeworms and can be dangerous in a puppy this tiny and young.

You should also report whoever sold you this puppy to the Humane Society. Anyone threatening to throw puppies in the trash are likely abusing any other dogs on the premises.

Let us know how this baby does!

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM
The reason I bought her at 4 weeks was because someone at work told me about this lady who had the puppies and she was going to throw them in the trash if someone didn't come get them. When I heard that, I couldn't let them go to the trash so myself and 2 co-workers bought the puppies. She refused to give them up for free, so we did what we had to do to save them.. But I agree, it is way too young! But I would rather the puppy be alive and too young than dead in the trash, ya know?
Thanks for all your help, I'll see about finding another vet to take her to until I can get to my regualr one in 2 weeks.

Whoever bred these pups needs to be arrested! In most of the U.S., it is illegal to sell pups under 8 weeks of age. Not all states, but most. You might want to call your local animal control/SPCA. While they probably can't do anything about the pup you have, they may be able to force her to get her bitch fixed so that she does not have to threaten to throw puppies away to make money.

Because this pup has been removed from it's family so young, there are many learning experiences she is going to miss. You might want to look around for a trainer or pm Tenderfoot for some advice on what special things you need to do with one so young. I am sure you don't want to end up with one of those chihuahua's that hides under the couch and bites everyone's ankle.

TWilson9498
January 1st, 2005, 10:23 AM
My children are too afraid to hold her, not scared of the puppy but scared that she is so little. The just sit by me and pet her, while I hold her. My son, who is 6, insist she sleeps in his room in her box with lots of blankets, and he gave her a few little dog stuffed animals to keep her company since she probably misses her family, he says. Although once he is fast asleep I put her box back in my room, but at least he sleeps better "thinking" she's in there for him to take care of.. ;) I will take her to the vet on Monday, and go from there. I agree, the lady I bought her from is as foney as they come, but I can sleep at night knowing Tiny has a home. I do feed her about every 2-3 hours, as I was told by our local vet. I'm assuming worms don't effect her activity wise, because all she does is run around trying to steal socks! She's very energetic, she likes to pounce all the time. But I will certainly be sure to take care of this Asap, so she can remain energetic! We do not have any other pets, so I don't have to worry about one of them hurting her. But there is someone with her 24 hours a day, making sure she is ok, since she is so young. You're right, I don't want a chi that hides under the couch and bites everyone! She gets a little brave sometimes and "growls" at her stuffed animals but that's about it for now! :)

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Sounds like you are doing everything just right. I have a six year old son and he insists that Chase sleep on his bed at night too. Chase is a tad bit bigger then your little chi pup though. (LOL!)

Stick around. There are lots of great people on here with loads of experience. I am sure some of the rescue people have experience with younger pups, too.