Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does dog need supplements?

Suerove
December 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM
My dog is chewing and scratching around the base of the tail, to the point where she has some bleeding areas. This also happened last summer so is possibly a seasonal thing. We use a gentle oatmeal shampoo, and her coat otherwise is in very good condition. At a previous visit to the vet he suggested that she may need essential fatty acid supplements.

My question is can we give human supplemets such as evening primrose oil/omega 3 & 6/fish oil? Or should we try to give her some oily fish to eat?

I'd like to try something to see if it works.
I appreciate your help!
Suerove

Karin
December 31st, 2004, 05:57 PM
What kind of flea control do you use? (Fleas like to hide at the base of the tail) Also, this is a common chew spot for dogs with anal gland problems. They chew there because that is as close as they can reach....maybe one or both glands are impacted & infected, having an anal gland expression done will help alot.

BoxerRescueMTL
December 31st, 2004, 06:13 PM
fish body oil works great- (not cod liver oil!), i use "arctic vigor" when my boys haven't gotten enough omega 3 in their diet. usually i try to feed mackarel or sardines once a week tho. good luck!

Suerove
December 31st, 2004, 06:40 PM
I don't think it's fleas - we treat her monthly with Advantage duo (heartworm & fleas).

That is interesting about the anal sac - she has never had a problem with these before, they usually release and it is quite obvious by the foul odour! Are there any other signs of anal sac problems that I should be on the look out for?

Karin
December 31st, 2004, 06:58 PM
I don't think it's fleas - we treat her monthly with Advantage duo (heartworm & fleas).

That is interesting about the anal sac - she has never had a problem with these before, they usually release and it is quite obvious by the foul odour! Are there any other signs of anal sac problems that I should be on the look out for?

This is mostly a small dog problem. But the larger breeds have to deal with it too. Most of the time, when a dog defacates, the glands empty also. But not alway's. Depends on the dog. I have a 85 lb. Rotti with cronic anal gland "fullness"...her anal gland openings are so tiny, she cannot always express them herself..So at bath time I break out the evil glove and vasiline and in 2 minutes we are done, she is done I should say. Ciara always feels much better.
Sometimes a full gland can get infected. Then it's fluid turned to thick puss, sometimes bloody and harder for the dog to express on there own. Then it becomes itchey and painful.

I will not comment on your HW/flea regiment, I do not know how bad the problem is where you live.

Suerove
December 31st, 2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your replies. It's definitely not fleas, and I'm pretty sure it isn't anal sac problems.

Do you thnink I can safely try fish oil capsules?
Thanks

Suerove
January 7th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Just for interests sake
We have been giving our dog some oily fish in her diet, such as sradines and pink salmpn. Her tail is now almost healed and she has completely stopped scratching. Thanks for all your help

mastifflover
January 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Glad to hear it I use fish oil caps all year it is great for their skin and coats. Now your baby is comfy thats great