Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

possible epilepsy in dog

judi z
December 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Hi, This is my first post on this site. Let me start by saying my dog is under a vet's care for the condition I am about to describe but I would like insight and advise from anyone who has been through same ordeal. I have a doxie/spaniel mix who will be one year old in January. She is a spayed female and usually a very loving pet. In the past month she has had episodes of aggressiveness in which she will growl at us for no apparent reason. Last night's episode lasted several minutes and she actually was half growling, half barking at us with no apparent recognition of her name etc. She snapped out of it when she heard my husband turn the lock in the door. Then it was as if nothing had happened. I spoke to the vet who said it could be a form of epilepsy, he started her on phenobarbitol and we will monitor to see what happens. Anyone else experience this?

LavenderRott
December 31st, 2004, 03:54 PM
There are many things that can cause "sudden" aggression in dogs. Lymes disease can also contribute to what you discribe.

Just out of curiosity, did your vet do bloodwork?

Karin
December 31st, 2004, 06:36 PM
Hi, This is my first post on this site. Let me start by saying my dog is under a vet's care for the condition I am about to describe but I would like insight and advise from anyone who has been through same ordeal. I have a doxie/spaniel mix who will be one year old in January. She is a spayed female and usually a very loving pet. In the past month she has had episodes of aggressiveness in which she will growl at us for no apparent reason. Last night's episode lasted several minutes and she actually was half growling, half barking at us with no apparent recognition of her name etc. She snapped out of it when she heard my husband turn the lock in the door. Then it was as if nothing had happened. I spoke to the vet who said it could be a form of epilepsy, he started her on phenobarbitol and we will monitor to see what happens. Anyone else experience this?

I must echo what Lavender Rott said..what bloodwork was done?

Putting a one year old dog on phenobarbitol is very drastic. Bloodwork should be done prior to this Rx anyway...

Please give us more info! Something just does not sound right with this picture....

judi z
January 1st, 2005, 12:13 AM
No, the vet did not do blood work prior to prescribing the medication. He did examine Chelsea in his office two days ago for an unrelated infection. I will call him on Monday and ask about bringing Chelsea in for blood tests. What will they be looking for in her blood?

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2005, 01:01 AM
Phenobarbital can cause liver damage and is something that this dog will be on for the rest of it's life.

IMHO, I think I would find a new vet. It sounds to me like your dog got the most convient treatment without much search for a medical cause.

I found a couple of websites that you might want to look into. Or you could run canine epilepsy through your search engine.

http://www.petz.co.uk/vetontheweb/new/article17.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

http://oror.essortment.com/epilepsydogs_rhac.htm

The middle one is fairly informative.