Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calming Cano HELP

lilith_rizel
December 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
OK, for those of you who don't know, our baby was born with a severe heart condition, and had open heart surgery. Our problem now, is getting Cano to be calm and not run in the house. We can't afford dog training at this time. What can we do to help with this issue. ANY ideas are appreciated. We don't want to get rid of him.

sammiec
December 31st, 2004, 09:24 AM
He needs to get out an play hun. I know that you and James were very busy and he wasn't getting out because he pulls you. And while you were pregnant that was very dangerous. He needs to run (if he hasn't already). Do you have time to take him for a long walk and chase sticks and balls?

I'm sure that he's probably wound up because he hasn't had the chance to get a lot of attention lately and he needs to release a lot of energy.

I would plan to put a little money aside for training. That's very important, especially with a newborn in the house now.

Glad to see your back! I hope Judith is doing well! Where's the pictures!!!?? :p

Dukieboy
December 31st, 2004, 09:48 AM
I agree with Sam, you have to get the dog out for a good run. Can your husband drive to an open, safe area to find sticks and play fetch? Or even a long, long walk. You might want to limit where he is aloud to go in the house. Have you ever given him raw bones? These keep Duke engaged for hours, quietly. The longer thin ones last longer than the short wide ones. Also, Kongs stuffed with frz dog food keep him busy as well.
If you haven't got time for the training right now, a gentle leader and a long lead in the house might be helpful.

glasslass
December 31st, 2004, 10:02 AM
I agree with the others. This is another opportunity for hubby to help out as well. I'm sure he wants to help in any way he can and doesn't always know how. He can exercise and work with Cano's training and he can also take care of Judith to allow you and Cano to go out together. The exercise and break away from the childcare duties will do wonders for you both. You have time on your side. Cano will naturally calm down a lot as he matures. Dogs have amazing abilities to recognize a child's special needs. There are quite a few training experts on this panel who can give you tips on training him.

tenderfoot
December 31st, 2004, 10:10 AM
Wow, it sounds like your plate is very full. I am sorry you have been through such a hard time, but hopefully 2005 will bring only healing and joy for you all.
Cano is like your older (How old is Cano?) child who has been left behind emotionally because you have been so preoccupied with the baby.
As much as you can he needs some special attention too. Even a second here or there can help. Just a touch or hug would be good for you both.
Exercise is so important - and the freedom of play is wonderful, but don't feel that it's the only answer to tiring him out. I would like to think of this time in your life as an opportunity to teaching him manners - and it does not have to add to your stress level. Training is really quite simple when you make it a part of your daily life. It's really more about making lots of associations and using what he knows everyday. Mental workouts can be just as exhausting as physical ones PLUS you have the benefit of working on his manners and your relationship.
Normally I would encourage you to have him on the leash in the house as much as you can stand it, but with a tiny baby in your arms I don't want to risk an accident.
Try to include him in on your schedule. for example - when you go to change the baby - invite him in with you and have him 'sit-stay' near you. Sometimes invite him to sit/stay just outside the room - mix it up so he has to think about his actions.
When you are with him, ie. his meal time, give him your full attention. Ask him to do lots of things to earn his food. By the way, meal time does not have to be the exact same time every day - you can wait until the baby is asleep and then have some special time with him around his food. Ask him to do things for the love and attention he gets. This helps him to understand that in order to get the love he craves he has to behave.
Communication is so important to Cano - he needs to understand the words 'easy, settle, gentle' etc. These can be taught quickly on leash and then with some reinforcement, he should have it down in a day, but he will challenge as he is still a puppy(?) - so don't give up.
This time in your life will try your patience and you are probably hard pressed not to just want to let everything in life take a back seat while you concentrate on your baby. But perhaps Cano is here to keep you mentally grounded. He reminds you that life moves forward as he prods you to play. Allow him to provide you with some distraction from worry and give you a project.
I wish you all of the peace of mind and heart the world has to offer.

Dukieboy
December 31st, 2004, 10:21 AM
I just had another thought, how about a dog walker? Just for a week or two until things aren't so intense?

Rainy
December 31st, 2004, 10:52 AM
Hi Lilith! Please remember that you have all been through alot in the last week! Add to that the new visitors and well wishers. Cano is experiencing all of the chaos also.Exercise Cano every chance you get.Practice the sit,stay,lie down often.Soft spoken words will go along way! You must be calm and soothing if you want Cano to be.
When I brought my lil guy home(human baby) I introduced him to my dog right away. Remi wasn't even out of his car seat yet.I made my pup sit then brought the car seat to him and let my dog smell everypart of it.I had a recieving blanket draped over the handle covering Remi's face area so he wasn't licked and slobbered LOL.After Remi was taken out of the car seat I let my pup smell his feet and as long as my pup was being calm he could sniff everywhere except the face.Talk to Cano alot during these intoductions.Good luck and congratulations :)

Schwinn
December 31st, 2004, 10:54 AM
As has been said several times, much walking and outdoor playing to tucker the guy out, and keep him happy and less hyper. Also, if he hasn't learned the command "relax" yet (we use "chill"), this is a good time to teach him. The way we were taught was to slowly stroke and pet Daisy, while saying your "relax" word. Get them nice and calm. Now, when Daisy gets hyper, we only have to say "chill" (sometimes twice if she's really "snapped" :) ) That, and you may be surprised how intuitive he might be around Judith.

Again, congratulations!

Bugsy
December 31st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Just a thought... any schools in your area? Most don't lock the school yard. Bring Cano there in the early morning or late evening, hold the gate shut & let him run like the dickens. A friend of mine told me she does this & I thought it was a fabulous idea :thumbs up

Schwinn
December 31st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Apparently children's cough syrup works, too. (don't ask...)

twinmommy
December 31st, 2004, 08:12 PM
HI Lileth

I know that things are tough for you, but please give Cano a chance, he's part of the family too. There are many things that you can do to make the introduciton smooth...and considering that the baby will only be home in a few more weeks, you have the time to introduce her slowly. You can start by bringng home recieving blankets from the ICU that smell like her, sleepers, etc., so that Cano is used to that smell. I find that as long as you give some regular time to our furbabies, no matter how little even if you only have 5-10 minutes/day--because with a newborn that's highly possible :) , as long as Cano knows that once the baby's in bed he gets a 10 minute back rub, or whatever, they become very tolerant of the rest of the day. Oh, and good idea about the dog walkers!! Indulge yourself with that for a couple weeks--use any "free" time to rest, mommy!!!! (((((HUGS)))))) :)

lilith_rizel
December 31st, 2004, 10:57 PM
Twinmommy, James and I aren't planning on getting rid of him. That is the last thing we want to do. Judith is going to need a dog when she gets older. It is just that one jump, and Judith could be gone.

Right now, I spend all day at the hospital, and James will be starting work again on Tuesday. For now, James is building a huge dog house, and fencing in our yard. It is still about 50-60 degrees F out, so he will be able to spend alot of time outside when we are home.

The schools here are expensive. More than what we could afford, especially now. I had checked priced earlier, and it is over $500 for 3 weeks of training. My mom knows of a trainer back in Minnesota. Now it is just getting Cano there.

lilith_rizel
December 31st, 2004, 11:04 PM
I will also have help with the baby for atleast the next 3 weeks, probably. My mother has decided to stay here, until the baby has bee brought home, and James and I are handling things great on our own. And when she can't be here, her boyfriend's mother will be here. I am thinking that we will probably be having help for atleast a month and a half, so within that time, we may have things settled with Cano as well. Well, I am sure you all want to see Judith's picture. Here's my favorite one. Lokk at that tuff of hair sticking out of her cap.

Rainy
December 31st, 2004, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the world Judith!! Beatiful baby you have there Lilian and James :)

twinmommy
December 31st, 2004, 11:47 PM
What a beautiful little girl!! Congratulations to proud mommy and daddy!! She's an angel!!

glad I misunderstood about Cano...sounds like he's a big part of your family, good luck with the training.

When does Judith come home? I remember that once I got past the high tech environment, the NICU was one of the most impressive, but also the warmest , most heartfelt places I'd ever experienced. We were also there at the holidays. I think it was my most genuine Christmas ever.

I'll be thinking of you and your wonderful new family.

Happy New Year

:grouphug:

Bugsy
January 1st, 2005, 12:24 AM
OMG Lilith she's precious... Definitely requires a whole new thread. That photo alone makes time stand still. :angel:

mrmilo
January 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM
What a beautiful baby you have there and obviously your focus needs to be on your baby. I agree with the other posts, this dog needs to get some regular exercise. Since money seems to be tight, maybe someone would volunteer to help you with the dog till things get settled for you. Having someone just walk the dog will help. Having your yard fenced will help a lot.

Schwinn
January 1st, 2005, 08:41 AM
You can start by bringng home recieving blankets from the ICU that smell like her, sleepers, etc., so that Cano is used to that smell.

Or a dirty diaper. Then you won't have to worry about Cano going near Judith!!

Oh, and she's gorgeous! Congratulations!

chico2
January 1st, 2005, 08:52 AM
Awww Lilith,what a sweet little baby-girl :love:
The picture brings back memories :sad: ICU looks like a big scary place for your wee baby to be in,I know exactly how you feel...
We were told our little boy might not make it....but 2 open-heart surgeries later at 4yrs and 14yrs,he's now 34yrs old..
I know the turmoil and angst you might feel,I don't have much experience with dogs,but I suspect Cano must feel anxiety too,his world is turned topsy-turvy.
I was a little taken aback when you said,you don't want to have to get rid of him,that the thought would even enter your mind :sad:
With time,patience and love and once your household turns back to normal+a beautiful baby-girl,I am sure your husband and you will work it out and include Cano in the babies life and you'll all live happily ever after :love:

glasslass
January 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Or a dirty diaper. Then you won't have to worry about Cano going near Judith!!

I can always count on you, Schwinn, for a giggle!

Seriously though, TwinMommy's suggestion sounds like a great one!

And Judith is truly a beautiful baby! That hair! :crazy: Can't wait to see all of it!

twinmommy
January 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM
Schwinn!! YOU KILL ME!! Always making us laugh!!!! hee hee hee

actually, you don't wanna know what fun Gypsy had once with a dirty diaper that we forgot to throw out.............ugh!! :p

coonlover
January 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Congratulations, she's so precious, what a little angel :angel: :grouphug:

CyberKitten
January 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!! Judith is gorgeous and I am sure she will be just fine!

tenderfoot
January 1st, 2005, 01:44 PM
Dear Lilith,
I would like to send you our training DVD as a new baby gift. Please forward your address (you can send it to the private message email or to info@tenderfoottraining.com). Hopefully it will give you ideas and ways to help Cano through his training and through this tough time. Since you have some time before Judith comes home you could easily start training drills when you are home. They really aren't hard once you understand the philosophy and don't take that much time.
Oh, and let me know if you would like the DVD or VHS - DVD is better because you can chapter through it, but the VHS has all the same info.