Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

concerned

Lucky8
December 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
well i have a question i have 2 kittens one is 8 month and the other is 7 months the one that is 7 months i got as an early x-mas present she has her shots and the next day she came up with a cold. she has runny nose, and is sneezing a lot and stuffy nose a couple of days later my other kitten got sick and now they are both sick. i want to know if it is contagious to humans and dogs.

BMDLuver
December 30th, 2004, 05:43 PM
No one should guess what either of these young cats has. It is best to go to the vet's office to find out what is wrong and ask the vet if it's contagious to yourself or other pets.

mona_b
December 31st, 2004, 09:04 AM
Sounds like an Upper Respitory Virus (Infection).When we adopted our cat from the SPCA at 8 weeks,he ended up with it.We took Casper to the vets.It was just a minour case of it.There are mild symptoms and severe.Sounds like yours has a mild case.I would take them to the vets to get checked.

Where did you get the new one from?

Dukieboy
December 31st, 2004, 09:58 AM
well i have a question i have 2 kittens one is 8 month and the other is 7 months the one that is 7 months i got as an early x-mas present she has her shots and the next day she came up with a cold. she has runny nose, and is sneezing a lot and stuffy nose a couple of days later my other kitten got sick and now they are both sick. i want to know if it is contagious to humans and dogs.
They definately need to go to the vet. If they aren't eating or drinking they can become dehydrated quickly but the good news is that they can be treated just as quickly.

Lucky Rescue
December 31st, 2004, 10:37 AM
It sounds like rhinotracheitis - as has been said this is an upper respiratory infection.

Are they eating and drinking? If they are and if the discharge from eyes and nose is clear, then it should pass in a week or 10 days. If the discharge is green or if they are not eating or drinking, are lethargic, then they need to go to the vet for antibiotics. Stuffy noses will often cause them to not eat because cats will not eat what they cannot smell.

This illness is often caused by a weak immune system brought on by stress, malnutrition, dirty surroundings etc and is contagious among cats. Most cats get it at one time or another and it's only very serious in sick/old cats, or very young kittens.