Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm pet sitting the devil dogs.

Jackie467
December 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I'm pet sitting my co workers 2 dogs and 3 cats. 2 of the cats live in the garage, they were feral and arn't very social. the other one and the 2 dogs are in the house. my co worker is a wonderful person but her dogs are little :evil: . They are not house trained at all and don't have crates, they are given free run of the house and they chew everything. I don't know what this woman was thinking, her house is ruined, it smells terrible and every peice of furniture is torn and smelly. i even had to clean poop off the bed! I had no idea that it was this bad, she mentioned that the chuahua wasn't fully house broken but this is worst than she lead me to believe. the other dog is a min pincher and i have a feeling she isn't house broken either and all she does is bark. everyday i come home to poop everywhere. i have my dog there but i know it's not her because i crate her while i'm gone cuz she's still not fully house broken. on top of that the poor cat inside is older and can't see very well, he also has accidents. the min pin growled the first time i pet her, well i ended that. I rolled her over and showed her i am dominant. it sounds harsh but if i'm going to watch her then i need to be able to touch her being that she always bolts for the door and if she got out i would have to be able to catch her. well she's fine with me now, even wants to snuggle with me all the time. I just don't know what to do, i'v started shutting the dogs in the bathroom cuz i just can't keep comming home and spending hours searching the house to clean up accidents. I have no idea how this woman and her kids can live like this, i mean it's bad.

Ok well i just needed to vent. any ideas on how to suggest crate training to this woman without hurting her feelings? she said she did it before with the min pin but i know she didn't do it with the chuahua and it didn't seem to work before.

Lucky Rescue
December 30th, 2004, 07:35 PM
That doesn't sound like much fun! :eek:

This is what gives little dogs bad reps - people who don't train or discipline them and who tolerate stuff from them they never would from big dogs. She isn't doing them any favours by letting them do whatever they like. It's not their fault.

Let's hope this woman outlives them - who else would want them?

Chis are often very hard to housetrain anyway, and min Pins are very often hard and dominant little dogs who need early and consistant training.

If the owner doesn't mind living in filth with poop on her bed, not much you can do about it.

Hope you survive this! :p

Karin
December 30th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I'm pet sitting my co workers 2 dogs and 3 cats. 2 of the cats live in the garage, they were feral and arn't very social. the other one and the 2 dogs are in the house. my co worker is a wonderful person but her dogs are little :evil: . They are not house trained at all and don't have crates, they are given free run of the house and they chew everything. I don't know what this woman was thinking, her house is ruined, it smells terrible and every peice of furniture is torn and smelly. i even had to clean poop off the bed! I had no idea that it was this bad, she mentioned that the chuahua wasn't fully house broken but this is worst than she lead me to believe. the other dog is a min pincher and i have a feeling she isn't house broken either and all she does is bark. everyday i come home to poop everywhere. i have my dog there but i know it's not her because i crate her while i'm gone cuz she's still not fully house broken. on top of that the poor cat inside is older and can't see very well, he also has accidents. the min pin growled the first time i pet her, well i ended that. I rolled her over and showed her i am dominant. it sounds harsh but if i'm going to watch her then i need to be able to touch her being that she always bolts for the door and if she got out i would have to be able to catch her. well she's fine with me now, even wants to snuggle with me all the time. I just don't know what to do, i'v started shutting the dogs in the bathroom cuz i just can't keep comming home and spending hours searching the house to clean up accidents. I have no idea how this woman and her kids can live like this, i mean it's bad.

Ok well i just needed to vent. any ideas on how to suggest crate training to this woman without hurting her feelings? she said she did it before with the min pin but i know she didn't do it with the chuahua and it didn't seem to work before.

Wow!.....you have more guts than I do! I never snout sit for anyone unless I know the pets & conditions. (That's just me, I only do sitting on a limited basis now due to Ciara's health)

First, Min Pins bark, and bark well. This is what they do, get use to it.

How long is your visit suppose to be? Is there enough time for a crash course in house training?

Plain white vinegar works well with housebreaking, behavior training and taking the already soaked urine smells out of the carpet. I hate the smell of vinegar but the smell disappears quickly to your nose, but not the animal. And they hate that smell..

A suggestion. When your co worker gets back, sit her down and have a good chat with her, friend to friend, ( you must be one to endure this)

Maybe all she needs is some education? Crossing fingers for ya!

BMDLuver
December 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
the mental picture of the bedlam in this home and your description of it had me in stitches. You're a good woman to stick to it. I hope you win the battle for your stay at least! It must have been quite a shock to realize they live like this daily. :eek:

Karin
December 30th, 2004, 08:29 PM
the mental picture of the bedlam in this home and your description of it had me in stitches. You're a good woman to stick to it. I hope you win the battle for your stay at least! It must have been quite a shock to realize they live like this daily. :eek:

My first thought was "OUT EVIL IMAGE!!". I know most of us are meticulous
about cleaning with pets living in the household, we all are..it's a given.

I do also double check, um, triple check for a dog hair that may have floated into a pie. I admit this freely...hair happens!

BMDLuver
December 30th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Omg Karin, I have actually had to walk back to the counter with a plate, mumbling that I forgot gravy so that I could pick the stray hair I spotted out of the plate, and quietly switch that plate for mine. I swear that no matter how hard I try, that one hair just has to float by and stick to a guest's meal. :angel:

Pawsnmotion
December 31st, 2004, 08:53 PM
Hey.

Sounds like you are having a little nightmare there. In regards to talking to your friend about crate training without hurting her feelings, explain the good things about crates. Explain to her that dogs are den animals and need a place to call their own so she would actually be doing them a favour. Also make her aware that you never know what the dogs could get into while she is out, and for their safety they should be confined when not supervised. Little dogs can get into some pretty tight little spots. Show her you care and that in turn she would be showing her little angels. (devils as you call them. hehe) that she is responsible and she cares. Ultimately this may encourage her to try and nip the housebreaking problem in the bud too.

Good Luck.

George

Jackie467
December 31st, 2004, 09:54 PM
thanks for all the help and sympathy. I had met the dogs before but had never been in the house. but now my dog is sick! She threw up tonight. I think she may have got hold of some mints. do you think i need to take her to the vet right away, or see if she throws up again? i checked and she doesn't seem dehydrated, she is drinking regular but doesn't seem really hungry. if she continues to throw up i'm going to take her to the vet but I don't want to unless i have to because our vet isn't open and i'm sure an emergancy clinic will be expensive, not that that would stop me if i thought it was an emergency, but I think her tummy might just be upset. I'm going to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't throw up anymore. what do you guys think? I don't think she ate any wrapers but of course all i could do is pick them up, I don't know how many were in the box. I don't even know where they got the box, neither of the other dogs seem sick. do you think i should be worried? they were ticktack mints, the kind wrapped in little wrappers.

twinmommy
December 31st, 2004, 10:11 PM
Omg Karin, I have actually had to walk back to the counter with a plate, mumbling that I forgot gravy so that I could pick the stray hair I spotted out of the plate, and quietly switch that plate for mine

lmao!! omigod!!You kill me!! Do we all do this?? I wonder when it is that I will cough up my first actual hairball, and hopefully Sam will be there to clean up my puke for once.....(yeah..right!! :D )

twinmommy
December 31st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Hi Jackie

If it he continues vomiting you should see your vet, the wrappers can probably do more harm than the mints themselves. Not sure I know what you mean, because tictacs are not wrapped here, but I 'm guessing you are meaning just a small wrapper. The mint willl dissolve, the wrapper won't.

Good luck, and let us know how your baby is doing.

Karin
December 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM
thanks for all the help and sympathy. I had met the dogs before but had never been in the house. but now my dog is sick! She threw up tonight. I think she may have got hold of some mints. do you think i need to take her to the vet right away, or see if she throws up again? i checked and she doesn't seem dehydrated, she is drinking regular but doesn't seem really hungry. if she continues to throw up i'm going to take her to the vet but I don't want to unless i have to because our vet isn't open and i'm sure an emergancy clinic will be expensive, not that that would stop me if i thought it was an emergency, but I think her tummy might just be upset. I'm going to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't throw up anymore. what do you guys think? I don't think she ate any wrapers but of course all i could do is pick them up, I don't know how many were in the box. I don't even know where they got the box, neither of the other dogs seem sick. do you think i should be worried? they were ticktack mints, the kind wrapped in little wrappers.

Watch her and limit her food right now. Vomiting once is no biggy..hurling chow alot is. She could be STRESSED like you in this situation.

You are much braver than I am....(being thrown into a pit!)

Karin
December 31st, 2004, 10:41 PM
lmao!! omigod!!You kill me!! Do we all do this?? I wonder when it is that I will cough up my first actual hairball, and hopefully Sam will be there to clean up my puke for once.....(yeah..right!! :D )

Yup, as animal lovers we all go through this. The dreaded hair issue. For the rare few that actually find a rougue "hair" I try to pass it off as fiber, everyone needs fiber in their diet, keeps you regular.

Hairballs! My excuse for coughing in front of a client. I can't help it...allergies are at at high mode and the hairball excuse makes them laugh! Our office cat helps by being in their face too.

My Key Lime pies have had a hair at one time, thankfully it went to the bosses house. She returned the gesture with a peach cobbler, hair included!

Lab/Rotti cross hair, and maybe a few kitty strands too.

One more rescue & my boss should quailfy for shelter status.

glasslass
January 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM
You're lucky you can have pets at work! I suggested having a "library cat" once. My co-workers are all cat-lovers, but the idea got nixed because some students might have allergies. Sighhhh :sad:

Jackie467
January 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM
well I got up this morning and got candi up and she seemed much better. she was running around and playing like her old self, she ate a little and drank went to the bathroom and then played some more. so i think she just had an upset tummy from the mints.

Twinmommy"Not sure I know what you mean, because tictacs are not wrapped here, but I 'm guessing you are meaning just a small wrapper."

In the US they just started making these tictacs that are wrapped in a small wrapper that are bigger than the tictacs you get in the plastic box.
I was worried about the wrappers but I didn't know if she actully ate them or not, i found them all over the house ripped up with the mint taken out. and i wasn't sure if she could pass the wrapper by herself or not, but she seems fine now. i had called the vet clinic and they told me to give her petobismal. a fourth of a tablet and then if she didn't seem any better to take her in. but luckly she seems much better today. :thumbs up

glasslass
January 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Isn't Pepto-Bismo mint-flavored? Maybe she had an upset tummy before she ate the mints and was attempting to self-medicate? :D Glad she's feeling better!

twinmommy
January 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Glad she's feeling better, Jackie!!
Happy New Year to you and your furry gang!! :party:

How's it going by the way? You poor thing, I hope your co-worker knows what a great friend she has. :thumbs up

Jackie467
January 1st, 2005, 01:35 PM
happy new years. well she got home this morning. I stayed at my house last night so i didn't see her yet. poor things were afaid of the fireworks last night when i was there. I'm glad to be home though, back to my nice clean world! :crazy: