Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wal-Mart workers charged in cat shooting

heidiho
December 30th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Managers suspended pending investigation
Thursday, December 30, 2004 Posted: 7:18 AM EST (1218 GMT)

Get $150,000 Loan for $625/mo
Is your current payment too high? Refinance while rates are low.
www.lowermybills.com

Compare Mortgage Offers
Get up to 4 free mortgage/refinance quotes or home equity loan offers now from 1...
www2.nextag.com

LendingTree.com - Official Site
Lendingtree - Find a mortgage, refinance, home equity or auto loan now. Receive...
www.lendingtree.com

Find an Online Degree
Bachelor, Master, Postgrad degrees or Certificates online from accredited...
www.classesusa.com

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Wal-Mart Stores Incorporated

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (AP) -- Two Wal-Mart employees who police say followed a manager's orders to shoot and kill a stray cat have been charged with federal animal cruelty.

The men, both assistant managers at the Supercenter, were arrested and released after a court appearance Wednesday.

Christopher Anderson, 29, and Jeffrey Hardin, 21, told police the store's manager ordered them to get rid of the animal that was living in a storage trailer behind their store.

All managers potentially involved in the incident have been suspended without pay pending an internal investigation and could be fired, said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Sharon Weber.

"We were outraged when we learned of this incident. This kind of action is completely inconsistent with the way we do business," she said.

A truck driver who reported the incident said he saw store employees placing what he believed to be a dead animal in shrink wrap a day after he heard workers joking about shooting the cat.

Store manager Darrel Weitzel told police he had told some of his employees to get a gun and get rid of the cat after attempts to coax it from the trailer failed, according to a police report.

Anderson and Hardin were scheduled for a hearing January 4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Bearsmom
December 30th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Do they still sell guns at Walmart in the US?

LavenderRott
December 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I could be wrong, but I think you can get hunting rifles at Wal-Mart.

They also sell crates and canned cat food. You would think that would be a better way to catch a cat.

heidiho
December 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Yes they do,but they wont sell :usa: certain books,i dont get it...........................

Schwinn
December 30th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Yes they do,but they wont sell :usa: certain books,i dont get it...........................

Some people feel it's thier god given right to carry a gun, but heaven forbid there might be a bare bum between the covers.

heidiho
December 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I know,i just dont get it sometimes,and i do agree with that,but come on you will sell guns but not certain books, to me it is just like tv,if u dont like the program,turn the channel............ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hammy's Mommy
January 2nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
I can't believe how someone can be that cruel to hurt innocent animals :mad: How would they feel if someone killed their animal :usa:

CyberKitten
January 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
I have never been WalMart's biggest fan but this may be the last straw for me!! How horrible!! I think they still do sell guns too, sighh!!

Iggette
January 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
I wish they could charge all 3 with Murder :mad:

Walmart better fire them all, they don't deserve to be part of the human race never mind gainfully employed individuals put them on poverty row and paste their pictures in the news for future employers to see :evil:

twinmommy
January 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Wouldn't you LOOOVE to see Walmart donate a huge sum of money to local rescues in the hopes of somewhat placating the animal rights violated here???

I know that it's more than about the money, but sometimes that's the "slap" that these people need to acknowledge their wrongdoings. If they are really sorry, then prove it--to some other poor pets, by giving $$ to rescue!!

It's really disgusting when you think that they sell everything to have done the humane thing, i.e. food, pet carriers, treats, etc. :mad:

CyberKitten
January 2nd, 2005, 11:04 PM
They must make a mint from pet stuff because thet have lots of it and even I have to admit I have purchased some things for Yin Yin there - and I used to buy rabbit pellets there too since their prices were so competitive. Now I'll have to stick to other sources. I already wrote to tell them why!

whinnie-boo
January 3rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
I hope the manager who instructed these employees to Kill that poor cat was let go, and criminal charges will be brought against them. WHY?????????????
People make me sick.......What were these poeple thinking?