Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jack Russell Accidents... Help!

arianetaylor
December 30th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I have had Bruno, a Jack Russelle, for almost 2 years. He has never had an accidents in the house up until the past 4 months (my sister moved in). He pooped in her bedroom for a couple of weeks and then stopped. He was good for a month of so and now has began peeing everywhere!!! Tonight I was sitting on the couch and he peed on me!! Why is he doing this???? ANy possible solutions? Should I take him to the vet? Everything else seems fine (energy and eating).

Carina
December 30th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Yep....usually the first thing to do when there's a change in toilet habits is to go to the vet. That way you at least rule out physical problems.
You should take in a stool sample, and a urine sample too, if you can get one. Your vet can quickly check for parasites, bladder infections, etc.

My other thought is that he is marking & showing territorial displeasure about your sisyer being there - is he neutered?
Nuetered or not, if that's the case, then he needs some swift & remedial training! You'd have to be vigilant for a while...watch him and don't let him get away with indoor pottying!
But to be fair to your dog, rule out medical issues. If he checks out OK, come back & we can talk about curing a dog of inappropriate marking (dogs also poop to mark) - I have some experience with that! :rolleyes:

arianetaylor
January 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM
He is not neutered. I took him to the vet and he check out okay. So... what are your training tips.... he is very stubborn!!! Thanks!

BMDLuver
January 5th, 2005, 07:29 PM
to do is to get him neutered. If you aren't showing him for championship points then he no longer needs to remain intact. This will help reduce the marking issues as well. It won't fix it altogether but there will be a marked reduction. Secondly, JRT are one of the most stubborn breeds we have ever encountered. They need a good amount of training and it doesn't stop over the years, it is constantly required to be monitored and reinforced. I'll let the experts take over in the training end of things.. Good luck!

Carina
January 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM
OK....how well trained is he? :) I am guessing he's not tremendously well trained - hiking his leg on you is a major sign of disrespect! By marking his territory, he is making the assumption that it is his house. It's not! It's yours. As is the food in the house, and everything else. JRTs are extremely intelligent & strong willed dogs, and will happily take charge if they think they can get away with it. Here's an excellent link to help you drill some respect into his hard little head:
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

And everything starts with training, and your dog knowing he is subordinate to you and all other humans who inhabit your house. Even if he has had obedience training, it would be an excellent idea to get him into a class, if you can. Dogs of any age can take obedience classes. Obedience is a 24/7 thing, and refresher courses are always a good idea! I do this with my dogs because they can be stinkers. (Mainly because, especially Cooper, loves to "work" and enjoys the he** out of obedience & dog sports.)

Oh and also:
GET him neutered!! No reason for a pet dog to be intact at his age.

For your immediate problem....realise that every time he gets the chance to hike his leg, he is reinforcing his own behaviour. So, don't give him the chance.
I'm assuming he is a tough minded little dog. Put a leash on him and don't let him out of your sight. Watch him for signs that he's going to pee....you can usually spot this. Then give him the scare of his life (without physically hurting him!) and make it very clear this is absolutely unacceptable behaviour. I tend to go on the principle that it is better to let a dog know clearly and absolutely what the rules are...dogs are very honest creatures, and it seems fair to be honest right back! Letting him get away with things, then nagging at him & giving half-hearted corrections forever which he can (and might) choose to ignore just drags things out and leaves him still unclear about the concept. :)

To illustrate, what I did when an intact, mature, full-of-attitude untrained rescued Rottweiler I had decided to a: hike his leg in the bedroom, and b: growl at me, was this:
I am not about to go head to head with a 100lb Rottweiler, so no silly stuff like alpha rolls (I would have been scared to try that). I ignored his growling and snapped on a leash. I hauled his growly pissy butt outside, and we marched up and down the driveway doing heel, turns, sits and downs. Until he began to comply. I only had to do this twice. This dog wound up being the most incredibly respectful dog with me...because I was honest with him, I think. I knew he had the intelligence and integrity to understand and comply; I expected nothing less, and he rose to the challenge.
I think you can do the same with Bruno.
If I had room for a little dog I would love a JRT! They are awesome little dogs, and you'll sure learn more from a challenging dog than an easy one. :)

Karin
January 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM
"Growly pissy butt". Been there, done that! Well put btw!

An intact Jack Russell, Oh the image! The person asking the question answered the same with.."not neutered".

Carina
January 5th, 2005, 09:14 PM
"Growly pissy butt". Been there, done that! Well put btw!

Haha! I remember that night...it was quite late and the damn dog peed on the side of the bed.
I hadn't had him that long then. When he went all stiff and growly at me, all I could think was, if I back down now, I may as well give up and take him in to be euthanised because if I back down, that's where this is headed...to be honest he almost had me intimidated, but for his sake I just couldn't go there!
But, I had been working on basic obedience with him....gone to classes, too. He's been a back yard ignored Rottweiler for over three years and had zero manners.
I was really pissed off! So at about 11pm I am out in my jammies in the driveway, dragging a snarly big dog up and down, and thinking if the neighbors saw me they would call the authorities. :D
Honestly, that dog turned into one of the best. When I broke up with the guy I was living with, he got Dutch....trust me I miss the dog way more than the man!