Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dramatic Change in Cat's Behavior

Macy's Mom
December 29th, 2004, 11:05 PM
My cat has always been very affectionate. Yesterday while sitting next to me he suddenly bite my finger hard enough to draw blood. He has never done this before. I pushed him away and he ran. Last night and all day today he has stayed in the other bedroom and only comes out to eat and drink and when he is called. I can't figure out the sudden change in behavior. Usually he is so demanding for attention. He feels everyone has two hands to pet him with, constantly. Could this simply be guilt for hurting me?

CyberKitten
December 29th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem.

It is hard to know unless there is more info - was there a recent change in the home? New Pets? New people? Is she in heat maybe? How old is the kitty? What is the baxkground? That sort of thing. Without that, I have no clue. There must be a reason but I'd be just guessing about something I do not know enough about.

Macy's Mom
December 30th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks for your response. He is a full grown cat. I found him in a parking lot several years ago. Nothing has changed at home. He may have lacked some attention from me last week due to the stress of the holidays; however he still received plenty of attention from my husband and step daughter.

Lucky Rescue
December 30th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Is he neutered? Does he go outside? What were you doing when he bit you - petting him?

And no - he does not feel guilty for biting you.

Bugsy
December 30th, 2004, 01:11 AM
And no - he does not feel guilty for biting you.

Lmao... :D really?, cats have no guilt? See, this I didn't know... :eek:

CyberKitten
December 30th, 2004, 01:45 AM
It may well be the stress of the holidays. I would worry about it if he did it chronically over a period of time. give him some extra tlc and see how he does.

chico2
December 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Sudden aggression can mean a medical problem...if his behaviour change continues,I would ask a vet!

Macy's Mom
December 31st, 2004, 08:04 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I have given hiim tons of TLC and he is acting pretty close to normal. He seemed to be just as shocked as me that he bit me. Last night we were playing and he started to grab onto me with his teeth and he immediately stopped. He is doing much better. Once again, thank you!