Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you teach a dog to fetch?

Freyja
December 29th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Hey there,

Hope you all had a restful and peaceful holiday. I got a digital camera for Christmas (from Santa ;) ) so I will post some pics of Lindy on the pics thread.

Question#1

How do you train a dog to be off leash. (Remember my trip to offleash park with Calgary group!!!) I heard that Huskys are not a good off leash dog.

Question #2

How do you train a dog to fetch? I thought if we had something to do together off leash then it might be easier. Lindy is about a year now and isn't really interested in fetching. She likes to chase balls, frisbees, but doesn't bring them back. Is is a trait of some dogs and not others? She is a shepherd/husky X.

Thanks!!

Freyja
December 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I just realized that this thread should be in "training talk" sorry!

Schwinn
December 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM
We were told to use two balls. You throw one, and when she picks it up and looks at you, hold up the other one. We had a real problem getting her to fetch as well, but this worked really well for us.

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Im having problems with Belle playing fetch as well, except with her, if we throw her ball she will get it and collect all her other toys, put them in her crate and lay on them! We tried the treat method but as soon as she thinks we have a treat (to swap the ball for a treat and praise) she will drop the ball wherever she is and run over to us. Id love to hear more suggestions, it would be nice to go out i nthe backyard and play some fetch at lunch to gie her some mid day excercise.

TobsterMom
December 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM
We had a problem with Toby as well. He would fetch great and even bring it back, but wouldn't drop it. The only thing that worked for us was practice and patience. When he wouldn't drop the ball, we would ignore him, when he did we would praise him and resume playing. He's getting better, he doesn't always drop, but he's improving.

Schwinn
December 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM
We had a problem with Toby as well. He would fetch great and even bring it back, but wouldn't drop it. The only thing that worked for us was practice and patience. When he wouldn't drop the ball, we would ignore him, when he did we would praise him and resume playing. He's getting better, he doesn't always drop, but he's improving.

We had that problem for a while. We would throw the other ball once Daisy came back, and now we don't have that problem. The one I have is she seems to think she needs to drop it on grass, even if I'm on the back deck or on pavement at the school! The two ball method worked really well, and quickly for us.

db7
December 29th, 2004, 04:18 PM
look around the net for hunting dog sites, lots of info on teaching retrieving out there and also info on controling your dog off-leash.

db7
December 29th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Try here, a forum strictly on retrieving!
http://forum.versatiledogs.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=fe151568668dafc1e368604744c15939

Freyja
December 29th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Well as it happens, Lindy decided to go off leash all by herself today!!!
She bolted out the front door after the mancub who was playing in the front yard and then continued on down the street.
I registered her lost on Petlynx and had a hit within 45 minutes. She was a block away in some guys back yard. He took a pic of her and I shouted "there she is!!!" She had just jumped into the guys back yard and wouldn't leave!!!
Thanks to Petlynx!!!!!